KoA: Reckoning - Inside Reckoning: Combat Video

Judging purely on visuals in the clips provided Reckoning does indeed look like a "single player MMO" to me...

This game is going to give people seizures with all the unnecessary flash effects. Its too over the top.

It's funny, because normally I'm not into things like over-the-top flashy effects and non-realism, but with Reckoning I just don't care. I want to play Reckoning for the deep RPG bits it offers, not for the combat or flashy animations. I'm more interested in the 300 side quests, the 6 factions, the non-combat skills, the Diablo-style loot, etc. All the flashy stuff just doesn't matter to me much.

Those combos at the end of the video did look pretty cool. Combos don't usually excite me, but I did say "Damn!" at a few of them. They were impressive.

When he said (1:08), " we want to bring in all that fun to an RPG game", I somehow took it to mean that without the anime combat, he thinks RPGs aren't fun. Might just my prejudice against flashy moves rearing its head again though

I came across this dev interview a few days ago, and I thought this particular question, and Ian Frazier's answer to it, was pretty relevent for folks here at the Watch:

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/features/1042/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-developer-interview.html

Combat has clearly been a focus of the game's development, which is pretty unusual for a game that is ostensibly an action RPG. Do you guys feel that this risks alienating traditional RPG players, or do the benefits of freshening up the genre outweigh this concern?

Ian: I say the latter. If you asked me three years ago I’d say I was terrified, because I was.

Sean: We are those traditional RPG players. [laughs].

Ian: Exactly. Most of the studio, Sean and I included, are hardcore RPG players. We were scared of either ourselves not liking it to be honest with you, or the audience not liking it and going “Oh, I don’t want an action game, I want an RPG”.

We had to do a lot of back-and-forth over the years trying to make sure that we didn’t let the combat overshadow the RPG elements the game, or to overshadow the story or exploration or depth of systems.

In the end, we feel really good about it. We hit the right balance and especially as we get to see more and more people who are RPG gamers themselves play the game at press events - it’s great.

I feel confident that we’ve built a game where we're giving you something that you’ve not had in an RPG, and to be very frank, a better combat experience than you’ve ever seen in the genre, but still keeping the things that made you like the genre to begin with.

Here's hoping they can pull it off!

Apart of the visuals, I really hope that the combat system it's good, e.g. it'll be something more like God Of War but without combos and not something like Fable, or even Assassin's Creed, where every combat it's always a duel, even if you're surrounded...
Damn, I really wish to enjoy this game! :D

If the combat is as varied as the dudes in the video seem to think it is, it'll be on my list for sure. I wonder if theyre going to release a demo..

They should release a demo just to spite Bethesda, presumably their direct competitor.

"Our game is too big and awesome to have a demo"

Honestly I'm not very optimistic about the combat. Since the switch to real time in all AAA RPG's I dont think I have ever enjoyed combat regardless of how every game says they are going to re-invent combat.

It always just boils down to me just tolerating it.

Not sure why they think faster combat means better. The flashy effects and the street fighter combo's are really putting me off the combat system. It seems to have some good stuff going for it in other area's if they are true to their words.

I do like the idea of having various moves as this is serious lacking from skyrims very bland combat. I wish they would tone it down a bit though the combo's where you continuously hit them before they can hit the ground is dumb for lack of a better word.

If they want to improve combat why not start with AI. AI hasn't really improved much from baulders gate days and in many games has regressed. How about using your environment in combat like dmomm or destructible environments. No more fireballs inside or you could catch the house on fire and need to escape. Or climb to a rooftop and assassinate someone with an arrow through their window. How about multiple ways to combat if they have a routine maybe you watch them and poison their food.

For quite a while now it seems the only advances in games is graphical. The move to more action oriented combat also seems to have hurt AI and taken away more tactical options. Just my thoughts.

I have to agree, I don't care for the flashy effects during combat. Who the heck are they catering to with that, lol. I cannot think of a single person that would think something like that was important. I'm hopefull still that it will be a deep rpg, with good legs.

-Carn

Combat is huge deal for me. I have the reflexes to play fighting and action games reasonably well.

Combat which is clunky or a button mash/click fest really annoys me. So KOA's take is extremely refreshing.

We finally have an open world RPG with crafting, strong storyline, rich lore AND fantastic combat....and people are complaining that the combat is too flashy and over the top?!

You guys are hilarious! :) I have this feeling that you guys can''t stand looking at the old Windows "Starfield" screensaver cause it makes your eyes water :p

Combat is huge deal for me. I have the reflexes to play fighting and action games reasonably well.

Being able to play it wont be a problem. Not wanting to play it because it looks ridiculous might be, but we will see if there is enough substance in the rest of the game. If so, I may be able to overlook it.

Being able to play it wont be a problem. Not wanting to play it because it looks ridiculous might be, but we will see if there is enough substance in the rest of the game. If so, I may be able to overlook it.

Personally, I like the way combat is stylized. Of course, like the rest of you folks, I am fervently hoping it will be a proper deep RPG and not a facsimile of one.

So yes, i do hope it has the substance as well. It would be a waste if it didn't. I'm optimistic though! :)

Hey, if it's a deep rpg game, they can make the combat as flashy as they want! I just think games that look cartoony (ala WoW) or too flashy aren't aimed at adults. I need substance, not glitter plz and ty!

-Carn

We finally have an open world RPG with crafting, strong storyline, rich lore AND fantastic combat….and people are complaining that the combat is too flashy and over the top?!

You guys are hilarious! :) I have this feeling that you guys can''t stand looking at the old Windows "Starfield" screensaver cause it makes your eyes water :p

We do? You must have time traveled from the future! Right now all that we DO have are words and flashy pictures…

I think the point is that the composition of RPG players here differs a bit - I guess - from that of other RPG forums.

Back
Top Bottom