KoA: Reckoning - Review in Progress #2 @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has posted the second part of their Reckoning Review in Progress, with the author providing some enthusiastic details of his experiences and then a short community Q&A at the end:
As I browsed the notes I've been taking as I play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, what immediately struck me was how many positive comments I jotted down. Most of what I've seen and done in Reckoning so far I've enjoyed thoroughly (even though I still feel like I've barely gotten anywhere in the greater context of the sheer size of the game). In short, I'm becoming more and more confident that RPG fans looking for something deep, immersive and satisfying will be very pleased with Reckoning.
More information.

I feared the game was going to be marginally better than Fable. It shares with Fable the production values, graphics style and definitely the map/radar... but I was still pleasantly surprised with the demo. I really like the combat, which reminds me alot of Dungeon Lords (the only thing that game did right). I guess in the end bolting fun fighting game type mechanics to even a generic rpg system works pretty well.

To me this is what Fable should have played like.

I really like the combat, which reminds me alot of Dungeon Lords

Dungeon Lords?

I was one of the 7 people who found enjoyment in Dungeon Lords. But I find no similarities between Dungeon Lord's combat and KoA. Can you elaborate? I'm curious.

One thing that I liked in the demo was the two guys in the beginning. They all had a lot to say and seemed fairly deep. However, as soon as I got outside I did my best to find folks with as much to say and it wasn't to be found. I played through several times looking for characters that seemed fleshed out and came up empty. I hope that this changes in the full game. I didn't like the combat at all, but I enjoyed exploring and the graphics aren't too terrible. Scepters seem like a win button, so I'll be able to tolerate the combat if that continues. Enjoyed the great variety of loot immensely.

KOA is good at what it does and thats passing the time, weather i feel its worthy of my time or 60 bucks is another story. Honestly the game feels like it was intended younger kids or first time RPGamers and thats not a bad thing . Personaly im not going to support AAA gaming hype . Saving my cash for Avernum and Legends Of Grimrock and get two Rpgs that probably have the quality im looking for in a game. KOA suffers from what Dungeon Seige 3 does , a savere case of consoleitis !

Avernum is my gold pot at the end of the rainbow. No matter how much the other games this year may or may not let me down, Vogel never fails to provide a damn good game. Grimrock looks good too, I'd really like to sink my teeth into an old-school crawler that doesn't suck!

-Carn

Heh, I know what you mean. While I did enjoy the KoA demo, right now the game I'm actually playing is Avernum 6. (And I haven't even installed the copy of Skyrim I got for Christmas!)

As much as I like avernum, this isn't a thread about them. I agree with a lot of the reviewers feel about the game. I'm not sure how some can praise dragon knight saga then pan this, it doesn't make any sense.(not saying here, but read elsewhere) I think it's a fun, flashy different rpg experience. I think the only way it relates to WoW is that it looks somewhat similar in art design.

it looks like there is a lot of game there for your buck, were not talking 6 hours of flashy game play. The world seems quite large and already in short play I have found a few interesting areas off in the wilds. It is not going to appeal to all, but to say it is directed at kids seems a bit off.

The only similarities to fable is the it looks like it in the art department. I ahve played both games, and thats just about it other then you can't jump. The NPC, quests and gear are very different. Combat is somewhat similar, but it is much more advanced in KoA.

I'm not sure how far you played in the demo, but I got to use the crafting mechanism, as well as decontruction. It worked really well, you can even name the equipment you make.

I feel fable went for the simple rpg, there wasn't choices in conversations, and well it went for arcadey gamey fun.

I'm not sure if people noticed but there are persausion checks right off the start, and depending on how you made your character they are harder or easier to pass.

If i was to compare it to anything i have played it would be Zelda or Fable . No doubt the game will be fun for some . I would would rather watch 200 hrs of Adventure Time than play KOA . I did like the plants in the game and i am greatful they released a demo because of the names behind the game and the way devs made it sound makes me have high expectations . After playing the game for over an hour it was clear the game was not for me, very dissapointed.

Comparing Reckoning to Fable does a huge disservice to Reckoning in my opinion.

Fable is an okay game, but it's RPG-lite, whereas Reckoning is a hardcore RPG.

The only thing comparable between the 2 is the colorfulness of the world, i.e. the art style. Reckoning's art style is a mix between Fable and World of Warcraft it seems.

But all the things that really matter about the game are much closer to the hardcore RPG systems used in games like Divinity 2, Sacred 2, Skyrim, and Diablo, than the systems used in Fable.

Divinity 2 is probably the closest overall comparison I can make, but even that comparison falls apart when you really start digging into Reckoning. Sacred 2 is a decent comparison too.

For the most part I agree with Curt Schilling's take on the game. It has the open-world of Skyrim (except more focused), the combat of God of War (except based on RPG systems), and the loot of Diablo. It's got a bit of a Bioware type feel with the dialog wheel too.

Honestly, you can't really compare it to other games out right now. It's very unique. It's the first time all these elements have been in one single game.

But it's overall feel will be much closer to Divinity 2 than it will be to Fable. It will be like Sacred 2 but with kick-ass combat and a ton more depth and polish all around.

Comparing Reckoning to Fable does a huge disservice to Reckoning in my opinion.

Fable is an okay game, but it's RPG-lite, whereas Reckoning is a hardcore RPG.

Astonishing! You are able to tell that after 45 minutes demo?

Dudes in Amalur and Fable have the same taste in mustaches.

edit: I hope it's not like Sacred 2. That game was like being punched in the face.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd call Reckoning a hard-core rpg at this point. I didn't get that from the demo, and I'm hoping it is hard-core, but that remains to be determined, imo. I am looking forward to getting a chance to play it without the 45 minute limit!!!

-Carn

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd call Reckoning a hard-core rpg at this point.[...]

hard-core rpg doesn't mean the same thing to everybody...

hard-core rpg doesn't mean the same thing to everybody…

It sure doesn't but you still need psychic powers to decide if KoA is or isn't hard-core after 45 minutes demo.

Last edited:
Astonishing! You are able to tell that after 45 minutes demo?

More like after months and months of following the game intensely, watching every bit of video that's been released, reading every developer Q&A (and there have been many), interacting with the developers on the forums and reading what they have to say about the game, plus interviews with the developers from gaming sites and the like. Because of all that I'm pretty confident saying Reckoning is a hardcore RPG. The developers themselves have called it that. Do I need to list off some of the reasons why?

The world itself is steeped in lore. 10,000 years of history.
Over 500,000 words of spoken dialog.
Over 300 quests.
280 armor sets. In one game that is simply unmatched.
A loot generating system that can create up to 2.3 million pieces of loot. So basically Diablo's loot system.
Over 900 NPCs in the game.
A world that is "comparable in size to Oblivion", but could possibly be even larger.
Over 120 dungeons.
Over 60 combat abilities spread throughout 3 distinct ability trees.
9 non-combat skills, including 3 crafting skills.
Weapon and armor degrading.
IGN has called it "an RPG nerd's RPG"

So unless the developers are flat out lying about all that, it's a hardcore RPG.

Back
Top Bottom