KoA: Reckoning - Reviews @ RPS, Worthplaying

Dhruin

SasqWatch
While I put together another Reckoning roundup, I'll post the Rock, Paper, Shotgun review because I'm sure many readers are fans.
Jim Rossignol calls it "generous but uninspired" but also "surprisingly compelling":
I think it’s important, at this final-third-of-review stage in the proceedings, to point out that I’ve found Amalur surprisingly compelling. It’s a sugary, guilty sort of compulsion, though, because Amalur’s formula is one that has ultimately entangled the part of me that wants to see the next pleasing monster design, or the next level of magic powers. The delightful contrast of stabbing someone with razor-fast daggers versus clubbing them to death with a half-tonne battle-hammer is good too, but what it does not offer is anything with serious meat. No grand vision, no technical triumph, no opera.
Despite the open structure, it’s not really providing much for the digital explorer or the mystery-hungry reader. There is no pretension to a true sandbox, let alone any kind of living world. From a purely aesthetic point of view, the series of enclosed valleys it is guiding me through display none of the majesty of Skyrim’s frozen peaks, while the quests and over-arching script interest me a fraction as much as almost any other seriously conversation-heavy RPG I can think of. The overall visual fidelity often disappoints, too: after The Witcher 2′s artfulness, the dead-eyed (but still enormously friendly and characterful) mannequins of Amalur do not impress my inner graphics-card purchaser.
...and let's toss in Worthplaying's review with a score of 8/10:
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an ambitious RPG that mostly delivers on its promise. The main quest is as lengthy as RPGs of yesteryear, while the amount and variety of quests bring an MMO flow to a single-player experience. The story is interesting, even if it lacks elements that people have come to expect, like a morality system. The graphics and sound are flawed but are more than acceptable this late in the console life cycle. For those looking for a deep action game or a more hands-on RPG experience, Reckoning fits the bill perfectly. For those recovering from — or still in the middle of — Skyrim, be warned that this game is just as deep.
More information.

I can tell you its damn better than Skyrim
quests are not as complex, but at least they are not frustrating and broken
I never felt in Amalur that my choice sucked or was not given to me, or that I wasnt rewarded each way I went
Main story, actually quest progression in general is so much more compelling.
too bad the world design is not as great, but this is subjective. I bet there are tons of ppl loving WOW out there :)

On my way through the game right now and must say I like it very much so far. Nice designed and explorable valleys, a lot of MMO-ish quests (the ones I also liked in WoW) and awesome combat!

The game seems to wear very thin in the last half of the main quest. That continent to the east does have some freely exploreable zones but the the bottom entire half of it is actually one long corridor of the same 4-5 enemies with a few diversions. Unfortunately those diversions are mostly different scenario in which to fight those same 4-5 enemies.

As much as I enjoyed the combat for much of the game, by the end of the main plot I was pretty much sick of it. It didn't help that it keeps doing those "oh noes it's a troll" type mini-cutscenes every time it thinks its suprising you with an enemy. No, you always know when they're coming because there's either a few unguarded chests or a big open area which seems inexplicably empty. Nevermind that those enemies are no longer a real threat anymore so the dramatic/suprise music seems a little out of place.

Not really spoilers but some non-specific comments about the ending:
Also, the ending is rather unsatisfying and the relationship aspect fells tacked on. and nobody in the world reacts much afterwards. The ending cutscene feels so general and vague that it could be talking about almost anyone. While that makes sense in some respects - it is odd that NPCs which have 4 different lines to say roughly the same piece of information don't have a line or two about the war being over. Replayed the ending and made a couple different dialague choices - none of them have any meaningful impact besides potential relationship impacts. Are there multiple endings even? Would be odd for a game that makes a big deal about how your fate is yours to chose having only one outcome.

Ah well, it was fun for a while but I think now its time to play something else.

I've played about 7 hours. I'm still in the very first village area. Taking it sloowwwww and enjoying it.

I've played about 7 hours. I'm still in the very first village area. Taking it sloowwwww and enjoying it.

How quickly a player enjoys consuming their gaming products isn't really the issue; it doesn't change the major structural problems with the latter parts of the main plot or the level design either. You can play "The Lonsome Road" fast or slow but regardless of the pace it ends up being a big winding corridor where you kill the same 4-5 enemies over and over. That this is such a dramatic departure from the rest of the game makes it a little more dissapointing.

Luckily the rest of the game is still playable when you do get to the end of the main-plot canyon. While it is impressive that the created half a continent for what is effectively a long series of military advances after a point - it does get repetitive to the point where they probably shouldn't have made that section quite so long or at least interspersed something like another mid-point large scale siege style battle.

The thing is - after one siege battle very early on its just you and a few others fighting standard mobs for hours capped off by a few bosses. So your eastern expedition starts out with a bang but then is pretty much you and 1-2 NPCs (mostly scenery) vs the standard 5-10 baddies evenly dispersed over grey canyon terrain for several hours then boss. Those several hours of grinding the grey canyon seem like a mistake - they're repetitive no matter how slowly you take them and I wonder if they might have been a mistake to include. They're a new developer though and maybe they thought that was better than having fewer larger scale fights at key points because it better represented how they imagined such a war would be - slow costly advance and slogging it out through the trenches for what seems like forever.

The factions I've tried are all far better done than this and they don't make this sort of mistake. Granted they had the luxury of allowing more drasting changes of scenery between plot points by not having having to write the last half of any of their questlines to rigidly a winding path through only 2 biomes.

The game seems to wear very thin in the last half of the main quest. That continent to the east does have some freely exploreable zones but the the bottom entire half of it is actually one long corridor of the same 4-5 enemies with a few diversions. Unfortunately those diversions are mostly different scenario in which to fight those same 4-5 enemies.

As much as I enjoyed the combat for much of the game, by the end of the main plot I was pretty much sick of it. It didn't help that it keeps doing those "oh noes it's a troll" type mini-cutscenes every time it thinks its suprising you with an enemy. No, you always know when they're coming because there's either a few unguarded chests or a big open area which seems inexplicably empty. Nevermind that those enemies are no longer a real threat anymore so the dramatic/suprise music seems a little out of place.

Not really spoilers but some non-specific comments about the ending:
Also, the ending is rather unsatisfying and the relationship aspect fells tacked on. and nobody in the world reacts much afterwards. The ending cutscene feels so general and vague that it could be talking about almost anyone. While that makes sense in some respects - it is odd that NPCs which have 4 different lines to say roughly the same piece of information don't have a line or two about the war being over. Replayed the ending and made a couple different dialague choices - none of them have any meaningful impact besides potential relationship impacts. Are there multiple endings even? Would be odd for a game that makes a big deal about how your fate is yours to chose having only one outcome.

Ah well, it was fun for a while but I think now its time to play something else.

2 days and your already done that doesn't bode well. Any idea how many hours you got out of it?

Also I mainly use daggers and I may use sword a little but, I have no interest in other weapons. Does the game force you to use certain weapons to defeat certain enemies because of resistances to certain attacks. ( Wow that's a lot of certain's in 1 sentence) Or is it possible to use 1 weapon type the whole game?

Your second question first - no you should not have any problem using any 2 different weapons you want. I say "any 2 different weapons" because you will run into situations where you will really want a ranged weapon (even medium like chakram) instead of a close weapon, or a fast weapon instead of a slow one. The opposite is not as true though - you can get away with using a fast medium-range weapon like chakram almost exclusively without much problem.

You will never need to use a different class of weapon due to its damage type though (one of the telltale signs that they nailed their combat mechanics even if the actual combats themselves get repetitive). This is because you can have weapons of any class that deal one or more types of physical damage (piercing is not the same as just plain "physical") as well as elemental damage. Socketted weapons are particularly useful if you don't want to worry about having a set of weapons focusing on each damage type - which is nice when fighting groups of sprite champions of mixed elements.

On vacation this week so about 28-30 hours depending on whether you want to count the 2 hours backtracking after a quest glitch. That includes the mage quest line, warsworn, house of ballads, house of sorrows, and house of valor - as well as many of the region-specific subplots including but not limited to:

The plague quests
The cult in the red marches
the webwood/widow questline
The Bitterfrost quests (allies)
The gnomish mining quests - (through getting your own mine and house)
"The floodgates" quests where you can fix the damage your actions have caused to the cradle of summer
Lots of bounty and fetch quests.

Maybe playing a non-sorcerer might keep things fresh longer. Sorcery heavy characters seem to start out challenging and fragile, but they reach a point rather rapidly where nothing seems to challenge them any more. Also - I strongly recommend against blacksmithing.

It actually ends up taking all the fun out of loot and you can rapidly reach a point where you're done with your equipment well before you're 25 hours in. I did - after a certain point there just wasn't better loot than what I made myself (there weren't even better components to use to make things from) so the only thing I was still paying attention to was jewelry. Alone that's not automatically a game killer- but having your ultimate possible equipment at level 22 or so will also make combat distressingly easy even at the highest difficulty.

Invest in skills like dispelling (has some nice uses in conversation during certain quest lines.) Dispelling, mercantile, and spacecraft will make conversations with potential enemies/allies far more interesting in a few cases. In some cases this is significant in the outcome of a quest (consequences of choices in quest lines are however very contained and so say wiping out a village in the name of a dark queen of lore and legend isn't something that necessarily matters anywhere else in the game ever - nobody cares.) I'm probably not done playing the game, but I'll either wait for a patch or start over with a completely different character (no crafting). Since shops don't restock and I broke down any non-pruple equipment I might use and sold any purple or gold equipment since it was inferior to self-made stuff - a restart is probably the only realistic option if I want to be able to see loot windows as anything besides an annoying slowdown in my job through the piles of dead bodies.

Last edited:
@jhwisner- thanks for the info, i appreciate it.

I already planned on skipping crafting weapons, i don't really enjoy that in any game and koa seemed to have more loot than i'd ever need anyway. I do enjoy alchemy however, hopefully it won't have a negative effect on the game.

Started playing the game - first i was bit disappointed. Now I started to love it :)

I can tell you its damn better than Skyrim
quests are not as complex, but at least they are not frustrating and broken
I never felt in Amalur that my choice sucked or was not given to me, or that I wasnt rewarded each way I went
Main story, actually quest progression in general is so much more compelling.
too bad the world design is not as great, but this is subjective. I bet there are tons of ppl loving WOW out there :)

So, you bought it - right? :)

Just spent the day at a mates getting pissed and mostly watching him play it on PS3, I had a good day. It let me appreciate the things they did well and have the time to notice the bugs and glitches that need attention. There are a few in the first 8-9 hours of the game, but by far and away I have been blown away by the things they've got right.

Just got home and am waiting on Steam to finish it's decryption, hopefully going to start my own journey soon and am very much looking forward to it.

Neah, its still not worth it. You need to understand how low Skyrim goes in my book :)
It's not a game that would cause me pain if I stopped playing

For skyrim I would've paid 30$ initially, and after playing it 0$, because the design direction is going nowhere, so no support for them
Fot Amalur I would've paid 15$ initially, and after playing it 15-20$

That should sum it up

PS: I preordered Dishonored 60$

Neah, its still not worth it. You need to understand how low Skyrim goes in my book :)

For skyrim I would've paid 30$ initially, and after playing it 0$, because the design direction is going nowhere, so no support for them

That should sum it up

PS: I preordered Dishonored

I see, thanks for answering :)

I played for a few hours last night and I'm having a pretty good time with it. Ever since I installed Origin/Reckoning my Skyrim crashes my video card; bad enough that I have to reboot the machine twice to get it back. Weird. I figure once I'm done with Reckoning, I'll uninstall it and reinstall Skyrim and see if that fixes the issue.

At least in the first few areas, there are tons of hidden loot to be found. I'm sure I won't use 90% of this stuff, but I love finding it anyway. Combat already bores me, so I'm buggered there, but perhaps loot acquisition will keep me going.

Hey jhwisner, do you need to solve the quest for the guy on the hill in the first town before you have access to the sagecrafting station? I haven't found a way to it that doesn't go through his area.....

Hey jhwisner, do you need to solve the quest for the guy on the hill in the first town before you have access to the sagecrafting station? I haven't found a way to it that doesn't go through his area…..

I'm not jhwisner, but I can answer that one and the Mission doors only open after you do the mission.

That should sum it up

PS: I preordered Dishonored 60$

So, can we assume you played a thief for both games?

I'm not jhwisner, but I can answer that one and the Mission doors only open after you do the mission.

Yeah - and doing his quest opens up 2-3 others. I think the next closest sagecraft altars are in Webwood and House of Ballads.

How quickly a player enjoys consuming their gaming products isn't really the issue;

My comment was not in connection to anything you said earlier. I was just jumping in with a random comment.

Ok, refated my player a third time
I was playing on hard
1) finess melee + might
2) finesse melee
3) might
WOW, might is so worth it, makes it soo easy, I was struggling with awesome sets and items just relying on that x special thingy
Sad finesse melee is broken :). just a warning

Back
Top Bottom