SpellForce 2: FiD - May Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'd written this off altogether given the previous "indefinite delay" announcement but Nordic Games today announced a May release for Spellforce 2: Faith in Destiny.
SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny will be launched in May 2012

The second stand-alone add-on "Faith in Destiny" will arrive in May 2012

EMPYRIA, EO (14th March 2012) - Nordic Games GmbH hereby announces the launch of the second stand-alone add-on for SpellForce 2 - "Faith in Destiny" - in May 2012.

“The development of SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny being developed under the guidance of DreamCatcher, the Canadian subsidiary of JoWooD, could neither fulfil our high quality standards in some departments nor the expectations of the community. Therefore, we decided to recruit an experienced development team, which would comprehensively revamp several segments of the game in order to ensure a wonderful SpellForce gaming experience", said Reinhard Pollice, Business and Product Development Manager at Nordic Games. "Optimisation activities will be carried out in the fields of balancing, general presentation, graphics, general game flow, and in the multiplayer mode" added Pollice.

Additional information about SpellForce: Faith in Destiny would be published in the coming weeks.
More information.

Finally I was starting to think it was stuck in a endless loop with the delays and lack of news. Everyone must buy this as Nordic said they are interested in funding more in the series.

So sweet memory I have from the series, I am not a strategy game fan but the rpg part of game attracted me, I loved alot experimenting and finding new spells or equipment in campain and the ones that you played only with your avatars without army I liked the most.

not sure on this one as i found dragon storm to be rather underwhelming (if i recall it was developed by the forsaken gods dev, which i own but still can bring myself to play). never finished dragon storm, barely started in fact, but i did enjoy the rest of the series and will keep and eye on this one.

I didn't like Dragon Storm as much as I enjoyed Shadow Wars. I played it a while, and switched to something else a couple times, but eventually finished it. I hope they did a better job on FiD, but I am sure I will be picking it up to see for myself.

Another expansion to a game that was released in 2006? Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised that they even bothered releasing this.

(if i recall it was developed by the forsaken gods dev, which i own but still can bring myself to play).

All the Spellforce games and expansions were developed by Phenomic, which was acquired by EA shortly after the release of Shadow Wars.

Enjoyed SpellForce a lot, but it was overkill. Loved SF2, excellent game. My GOTY back then.

Long, long games

So, Jdr, I guess Spellforce 3 wouldn't be on your "kickstart" list?

Although a lot of the individual aspects of the games were a bit outside my comfort zone (underdeveloped RPG and strategy parts when taken on their own, linearity, Art direction on 2 just a tad more stylized than I care for etc), the sum of those parts amounted to a game that I found very compelling.

I liked #1 more as a game but the production values of (the more streamlined than necessary) #2 made for a beautiful game (despite not being 100% comfortable with a few models here and there).

Anyways, loved them both(*) and would dearly like to see a #3 with an up to date Engine deeper RPG aspect and a bit more sedate art direction…

That said, this expansion milking is very bizarre to say the least. I am sure they are trying to salvage their investment for the expansion, but this should have been towards a #3 from the start if they thought there was a market for it…

P.S: Pass, pretty much as I did for Dragon Storm…

(* I am sure the great music, that was the hallmark of the series and helped build the beautiful atmosphere had something to do with that too)

There's always been one thing that has turned me off from the Spellforce games: The lack of an active pause mechanic. I just hate playing this style of game without the ability to pause in order to survey the action and issue out orders to the various units at my disposal. As such, i never made it very far into Spellforce; as soon as i found out about the lack of this feature, I put it on the back-burner after playing for just a few hours and it has remained there ever since. I still want to give it a longer try someday though.

There's always been one thing that has turned me off from the Spellforce games: The lack of an active pause mechanic. I just hate playing this style of game without the ability to pause in order to survey the action and issue out orders to the various units at my disposal. As such, i never made it very far into Spellforce; as soon as i found out about the lack of this feature, I put it on the back-burner after playing for just a few hours and it has remained there ever since. I still want to give it a longer try someday though.

I can understand your take on this but it was always advertised as real time strategy so therefore no pausing and issuing commands while in pause. Never finished either of the 2 games although I own them, both times lost a save game while very far advanced in the campaign and not willing to spend that same amount of time again. Might pick up this expansion though.

The new title is another Trine game - like Forsaken Gods.

http://www.trinegames.com/games/spellforce-2-faith-in-destiny/

I'm expecting a car crash of a game with perhaps a slight lick of paint on the car put there by the "optimisation" guys at Nordic.

Trine website blurb said:
who are these demonic creatures the locals are calling the Nameless? And what has Professor Twiddles plan to restore the portals to do with all this?

Its not looking good guys.

I love the five releases so far, but as coaster says there is every chance that this will be a disaster.

Having said that I really hope I'm wrong. I really want a quality Spellforce 3, and that will only happen if this release isn't a failure.

I can understand your take on this but it was always advertised as real time strategy so therefore no pausing and issuing commands while in pause.

Yes, I was fully aware of what type of game Spellforce was going to be - but several RTS games that I've played had an active pause. It's partially just a personal preference - I don't like the sometimes frantic pace of trying to organize a complex strategy in pure real time while taking into account all of the areas of battle at once - but active pause is also a good game design feature. Some might call the lack of an active pause "realism," but I disagree because "realistically," there would be commanders of all the various units that would be able to react and make their own decisions in the heat of battle if the situation called for it rather than having just one general - i.e., the player - micro-managing every single facet of battle. And without this omnipresent general issuing commands to everyone, all the units can barely function on their own, lacking any from of self-preservation or battlefield awareness :). This is why I hate it when RTS gameplay comes without an active pause - I don't like the frantic pacing and find it unwieldy to control every facet of a large-scale battle in pure real time.

Yeah, micromanaging a huge army in RTS's sucks hard. So many times I have to set up the battle and just concentrate on a few key units and hope the AI does the right thing. Not usually my cup of tea, but Starcraft did it well enough to keep me engaged and not too frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom