BioWare - SWToR Killer HK-51s Trailer

:lol:

jedi, sith, evil emperors, tyrants, whoever you are, if you build a factory full of killer machines, write down where you left it and be sure to let someone know it’s there so they can keep an eye on it. If you don’t, you get ominous scenes like the ones rendered in this cgi trailer for star wars

People still play that?

I do (taking a break at the moment in a secret world), and I like it.

pibbur who amittedly likes almost anything running on a computer. Almost. But let it be known that he did tire of Wow, and has never turned back.

Waiting for this thing to flip free-to-play and then will give it a go... and play just long enough to remind me why I did well not buying it.

I think I'll take a look into it if it turns into F2P as well.

Too bad there is no offline game yet.

And I assume that a LOT of people have said that ! - Hence the re-release of KOTOR I + II ...

I think I'll take a look into it if it turns into F2P as well.

Too bad there is no offline game yet.

And I assume that a LOT of people have said that ! - Hence the re-release of KOTOR I + II …

It'll be a cold day in hell before an MMO will offer offline play, F2P or not.

I'm still playing TOR, I honestly think it has the smoothest solo levelling of any MMO to date. It's not quite like playing a single player RPG, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Looking forward to checking out HK-51. If he's even half as funny as HK-47, he'll be a nice addition to the crew.

For all its failings, I liked the game enough to still miss the good parts. Even though I had a strong dislike for their quest design and huge barren playspaces - I think the storylines were pretty decent for the most part. Well, I will never be a fan of Bioware writing - and I think most of the choices you make as a player work as a detriment to the experience, because the consequences are incredibly fake and unconvincing. But, I'd say Bioware writing meshes rather well with Star Wars - given the really pulpy nature of it.

I will always be a big fan of the setting - and though I doubt the game can truly be saved (as in, be profitable enough to warrant significant upgrades and changes) - I'd love it.

I'm trying the free trial as we speak, and I'm pleased with the performance improvements. I've yet to try PvP again, and that was my biggest problem originally. If they've managed to make it sufficiently smooth and responsive - I just might re-subscribe and get through a few stories and have a few laughs doing PvP.

The two things that would make a huge difference with me, would be a proper freeform space mode akin to Jump to Lightspeed from Galaxies, and some serious attention given to Ilum or open world PvP in general. Both things require massive resources, so I very much doubt we'll be seing that level of improvement. But it would be nice.

That said, as far as the levelling experience goes - I think The Secret World is the clear winner. Never have I been so engaged in the story or felt the process to be less of a grind. Their quests are amazingly well done for an MMO - and they've completely destroyed SWtOR in terms of integrating story into the experience. However, TSW doesn't offer anywhere near the same level of replayability - and it doesn't really have much beyond the story and atmosphere.

I followed a link on the web incorrectly promoting a "free trial" of this game. Ended up at the BioWare website which also proclaims "FREE TRIAL", and "Play Free Now". As it turns out, this is just more misleading crap from BioWare. One must purchase the game to get the so called "free trial", and "play for free".

__

I followed a link on the web incorrectly promoting a "free trial" of this game. Ended up at the BioWare website which also proclaims "FREE TRIAL", and "Play Free Now". As it turns out, this is just more misleading crap from BioWare. One must purchase the game to get the so called "free trial", and "play for free".

__
Doesn't surprise me as EA's Riccitiello said this in a recent interview.
Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello believes free-to-play games are a force to be reckoned with. Speaking to CNBC from Fortune's Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen, Colorado this week, Riccitiello said, "there's a lot of power in free-to-play" when addressing competition from free-to-play games impacting Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Will The Old Republic go fully free-to-play?
"Our conclusion was we had a great product in Star Wars, but that the subscription model in the world of free-to-play was challenging," he said.

"There's a lot of power in free-to-play," Riccitiello commented. "And by the way, for what it's worth, free-to-play is anything but free. We have lots of games that are 'free-to-play', where paying users are giving us ten, twenty, thirty dollars a month. What happens is the first game play is free, but then when you get into the game you have to pay for things."

"We indicated in our last earnings call that there was some softness in Star Wars," he added when speaking to CNBC

I can see it already you will have to buy each planet and class separately when it finally does go F2P.

I do wonder when offline games will become F2P, too ?
Hasn't that already been scratched upon by ME3 - with this MP part ? And the DLCs ?

I do wonder when offline games will become F2P, too ?
Hasn't that already been scratched upon by ME3 - with this MP part ? And the DLCs ?

because, a big part of what makes people buy stuff is seeing others having it. Social pressure if you will. Nothing makes more people buy dungeon X when your friends have to decide to go somewhere else because you are the only one that doesn't have it, or constantly having your friends wait for you because you don't have the 'epic vehicle', etc.

I agree. Peer pressure can be a huge factor.
And companies might play with it, exploit it.

A Question.
For someone who havent played mmorpgs ever and only stint in the world of MMO is WW2 online lots of years ago, is it worth the effort and time to play?

I know I enjoyed the star wars universe before Lucas lost his mind and started to lend his name to/ or produce faeces and even smellier unmentionables.

Curious

C

Last edited:
I'm fine with SWTOR going free2play at some stage, as long as long-time subscribers/retail purchases are rewarded with ALL the payable stuff (or at least most of it) going forward.

The resentment generated towards newbs will be EPIC if long time subscribers aren't hooked up properly when this goes down.. if we are looked after (aka free microtransactions for the original, loyal player base) then I see the game lasting for years to come, bring on HK assassinations!

SWTOR F2P?!? Acronyms run amok?

Nooo!

I actually don't care at all, as I don't play MMOs or F2P games. I just felt like posting that now-ancient link. :p

A Question.
For someone who havent played mmorpgs ever and only stint in the world of MMO is WW2 online lots of years ago, is it worth the effort and time to play?

I know I enjoyed the star wars universe before Lucas lost his mind and started to lend his name to/ or produce faeces and even smellier unmentionables.

Curious

C

Very hard to say, depends what you're looking for in an MMO. I can say that TOR is a fairly friendly MMO for new players though, so if you're ever going to start playing such games, it's a decent place to start. Also, it has significantly stronger solo play than most MMOs, only Heroic quests and so-called "Flashpoints" require groups.

Back
Top Bottom