Double Fine's - Massive Chalice

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Double Fine started another kickstarter called Massive Chalice. The game already made $475,325 of it's $725,000 goal with 27 days left.

If turn-based tactics and feudal fantasy had a lovechild, and that offspring founded a mighty century-spanning dynasty, it would be MASSIVE CHALICE.
With your help, MASSIVE CHALICE will become a reality—forged by Double Fine with our 3D in-house Buddha Engine and unleashed on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
We're inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem, as well as Game of Thrones’ array of noble families. With these influences in mind we’re creating an epic, replayable turn-based tactics game where you train generations of heroes to repel a demonic invasion.
And with Kickstarter, we can do it. We have a great concept and team ready to go, and we want to work closely with our community to control the future of MASSIVE CHALICE free from outside interference.
a8a0b8eec4d1b71626f64b9a1ca63f3f_large.png

MASSIVE CHALICE is a single player turn-based tactics game within a multi-generational strategy campaign built for replayability.
As an immortal King or Queen, you must unite your kingdom under a powerful dynasty, eliminate the demonic threat, and reforge the MASSIVE CHALICE!
The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.
In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.
Permadeath is inevitable: your heroes will grow, age, and eventually die. You'll have to choose between keeping your favorite heroes on the battlefield or retiring them from combat to foster a new generation of warriors.
Drawing from roguelikes we love, content is modular and randomized. Each playthrough begins with a random assortment of male and female heroes from various bloodlines, guaranteeing that each game is unique. Your knowledge and skill will increase over multiple playthroughs, but the details of every game will change based on your decisions and the whims of fate.
Core Game Features

• Your story emerges as you defend against attacks, complete quests, and respond to randomized events in your attempt to preserve the kingdom.

• Line of sight and fog of war mechanics come into play as your squad explores beautiful dynamic 3D battlefields where danger may lurk behind any corner.

• Distinct, customizable heroes learn new melee, ranged, and arcane abilities as they age and gain combat experience.
  • Arrange marriage alliances to ensure your heroic bloodlines can handle any future combat situation.
More information.

I protest.
I want Brutal Legend 2 not some tactics whatever game.

Can't be enough turn based games. Bloodlines is an interesting idea; might work out as a good way to make character progression last over a longer timescale, and less of a disaster than having your previous characters just become gravestones as in XCOM.

Game sound interesting but as it seems they will easily make there goal I won't be pledging.

I already have well over $1000 invested in other kickstarters. None of which have been released and most of which have pushed back their release dates. With the amount of time I have to game I'd estimate I have a year or 2 of gaming coming when my currently backed projects release.

So I won't be backing anymore kickstarters until some of mine start releasing unless its a game I have great interest in and my pledge alone will put them over their goal. Which is highly unlikely.

I wonder if others are starting to feel this way and if it will start to affect the success of future kickstarters?

waiting to see some progress. the idea is ok
Im all in for tactical stuff. i feel its the missing link in our scenery

I wonder if others are starting to feel this way and if it will start to affect the success of future kickstarters?

Think it's already happening, but affects the less known developers more. Probably I won't support some of the more marginal games, but will continue to support stuff like this. And I think they probably need quite a bit more than 750k to make something more than quite a basic game, so makes sense to back it up front if you think you are likely to buy the game.

NO!
Deliver first and then ask for more money!!
No money for them this time.
:beadyeyed:

In the old days, we would pay and play in the same day. Soon, I'll have paid for several games 1-3 years before they're released (if at all). What will I play now?

So I'll concentrate in paying for games I can play now or soon enough.

Weird, I've done a bunch of kickstarters but for some reason it won't proceed from the kickstarter step to Amazon for me anymore. Wonder if they disallowed Canadians or something, lol. Ahhh well it should easily meet the goal with my bucks.

-Carn

My God, this sounds awesome! Can it be we are now living in the Turn-based Renaissance long foretold?

@sakichop: well I don't feel that way, but I've invested closer to $100 than $1,000.

Game sound interesting but as it seems they will easily make there goal I won't be pledging.

I already have well over $1000 invested in other kickstarters. None of which have been released and most of which have pushed back their release dates. With the amount of time I have to game I'd estimate I have a year or 2 of gaming coming when my currently backed projects release.

So I won't be backing anymore kickstarters until some of mine start releasing unless its a game I have great interest in and my pledge alone will put them over their goal. Which is highly unlikely.

Exactly my sentiments. I'm at about $1200 from what I've backed, and at some point we're going to see one of these projects go belly up with our money, or they'll release an empty shell of what was promised.

Either way, I'm done until I have one of these games in hand. But then again, I said that before I saw the Jagged Alliance KS, so… Gotta admit, DF did a pretty cool KS video, though, and it looks like a really cool game.

No.. I mustn't... But...

This game looks right up my alley. I love games that mix tactical strategy elements with RPGs. That they mention games like X-Com and Final Fantasy Tactics as an inspiration definitely makes this one to watch for me.

It looks kinda neat... I am considering backing it.

I really like the idea of managing a dynasty. Reminds me of Crusader Kings. :)

This isn't really in my area of gaming interest, so I won't be pledging it. That said, I don't have an issue with a developer opening a second Kickstarter while they are still working on delivering a previous one. InXile already covered the business reasons behind this kind of project pipelineing when they launched the Torment: Numenera Kickstarter and I found their explanation compelling.

That business justification can extend to two projects, but not much farther. I would have an issue if a company with two undelivered Kickstarters tried to launch a third.

But in crusader kings most of the fun plays in your head because all the game shows you are numbers and texts. I guess this will be entirely different with this game.

Don't find the pledge levels really attractive, but I'd spend 20$ for a promising turnbased tactics game anytime.

I protest.
I want Brutal Legend 2 not some tactics whatever game.

Brütal Legend is actually listed in Wikipedia under "commercial failures", however.

I'm not seeing anything in their development backgrounds whatsoever that backs up the idea these are some old-timers wanting to stay true to their roots, inspired by X-COM. Whatever. This is the kind of game I like so if they make a good one I'll buy it and play it, and if they make some goofy POS I'll curse them, instead.

I'm sorry but are we looking at the same KS!?! :S Aside from Brad having worked on Trenched (a.k.a. Iron Brigade) for Double Fine, where is the substance behind this pitch. The concept sounds interesting, but no more so than a general discussion between two programmers wanting to make an "awesome game" that pulls the best from past classics and roll them into one package. It feels like it needs to be fleshed out a lot more before trying a KS, but obviously it is going to pass its goal further showing how KS seems to be going astray. Seems like this is riding high on the hipster vibe of it being trendy to donate rather than due to any real merit. First rule of successful KS campaign seems to be hire a production team to make a slick video (yeah… looking at you Planetary Annhilation or Star Citizen ;))

I like many here also have over $1K on pending KS campaigns and even some on Cleve's IndieGogo (Fun Fact: Cleve is going to miss the May release date…. Surprise! :rolleyes:) so I am going to hold off funding concept ideas and try to help with niche games that have a firm step towards a real prototype and not the pitch you make to your boss before you even start working on it.

I'm sorry but are we looking at the same KS!?! :S Aside from Brad having worked on Trenched (a.k.a. Iron Brigade) for Double Fine, where is the substance behind this pitch. The concept sounds interesting, but no more so than a general discussion between two programmers wanting to make an "awesome game" that pulls the best from past classics and roll them into one package. It feels like it needs to be fleshed out a lot more before trying a KS, but obviously it is going to pass its goal further showing how KS seems to be going astray. Seems like this is riding high on the hipster vibe of it being trendy to donate rather than due to any real merit. First rule of successful KS campaign seems to be hire a production team to make a slick video (yeah… looking at you Planetary Annhilation or Star Citizen ;))

I like many here also have over $1K on pending KS campaigns and even some on Cleve's IndieGogo (Fun Fact: Cleve is going to miss the May release date…. Surprise! :rolleyes:) so I am going to hold off funding concept ideas and try to help with niche games that have a firm step towards a real prototype and not the pitch you make to your boss before you even start working on it.

Exactly! Have anybody ever seen anything from the game other than:
- Hey gullible people, give us money, because we are ravenous and need more cheese-burgers + soda!

Broken Age is to me just that: Broken!! I wanted a game in style of Full Throttle or Psychonauts and the expected wonder-adventure became an awfully ugly thing I do not want at all.

I hope Chalices ending funding amount will reflect disappointment of people in Broken Age.

Back
Top Bottom