Ambrov X - Kickstarter Launched

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Ambrov X has started their kickstater asking for $500,000.If anyone doesn't remember the game it's described as a story-driven, cross-platform Science Fiction RPG.

Ambrov X is an episodic role-playing video game set in the award-winning Sime~Gen Universe created by Jacqueline Lichtenberg and Jean Lorrah. With Ambrov X, we aim to create a rich, story-driven experience that delves deep into emotional themes, coupled with breath-taking action and adventure.

• Ambrov X is a 3D, single-player, action role-playing game.
  • Ambrov X features meaningful and difficult decisions that truly alter the flow of story and quests.
  • The game is Fully-Voiced with Cinematic Dialogue Scenes.
  • Choose your gender and from the two human sub-species Sime and Gen.
  • Choose from four unique classes: the Endowed, the Monk, the Agent and the Sentinel.
  • Modify any armor piece or weapon in the game through a powerful modification crafting system.
  • The game features a complex companion system that is lore appropriate and deep on story.
  • The game will be released in 5 Episodes ranging from 3-5 hours each.
  • The game is being developed in the Unity engine for Windows, OS X, Linux with alternate releases for iOS, Android, PS 4 and XBOX to be released at a later date.
  • The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
  • Ambrov X will be distributed DRM-Free for Windows, OS X and Linux.
More information.

Looks interesting but these tiers are a bit expensive, $25 for only the first episode and they are very short...

Might be good. They aren't going on about multi-player, which is a plus.

Edit: Wow, you're right Gandalf. It's $150 before you get all five chapters and that's only going to be a total of about 25 hours of gaming. It looks like everyone will get more free chapters IF the game raises a lot higher than the goal but... jeez, what a risk.

It's $150 before you get all five chapters and that's only going to be a total of about 25 hours of gaming.
So about 5-10X the cost of every other Kickstarter game we've seen, to get the full game? Guess that's what the "cinematic" and "fully voiced" bits do for you.

edit: actually the wording on the $150 tier says you will get beta access to all 5 episodes, but it says nothing about getting the final game for all 5 episodes? From my reading, none of the tiers offer you the final game of any episode beyond the first…

edit2: "Update #1: Breaking News! Jennifer Hepler to Join Ambrov X at $750,000 Stretch goal!"
This will go over well.

Looks interesting but these tiers are a bit expensive, $25 for only the first episode and they are very short…

Yes, it seemed interesting up until I read that. Too much cost for too little product. They need to seriously rethink this project. I'm taking a pass.

Yeah they need to drop the fully voiced cinematic cutscenes and make it cheaper. As it is..... Nah.

I've asked the devs these questions too. They added this to the FAQ:
How does the Episode upgrading work for the Stretch Goals?

All donation tiers from $25 and up get upgraded to the additional Episode per designated Stretch goal. For example, if we hit our $1M stretch goal, everyone will receive Episodes 1 & 2, etc.
So you will get a "full" game of 15-25 hours for $25, if they reach $2.5M.
But if they stay between $0.5M and $1.0M you'll get a game of 3-5 hours…

They are asking a lot of money for a 3-5 hour episodic game, and it is understandable considering the 3D graphics and voice overs etc.

It would have been better and more cost effective to make a longer game with less focus on graphics and voice overs, considering this unknown developer.

Yeah, I doubt this to be the appropriate project structure for a Kickstarter.

I'll jump on when they hit $1.5M. Before that the gain is too low imho.
Although I really, really like this game to happen in full scope.

Hmmm, I really wanted to support this, but even I am troubled by $25 just for the first epsiode. And making additional episodes stretchgoal dependent will no doub lead exactly to what Morrandir does - people postponing their pledge, which means less momentum.
Unfortunately I doubt this will go through…

What kind of a project this is?
3-5 hours game and could be more, up to 25 if the cash received is more than half a million?
I'm not pledging on a thing like this not now and not in a million years.

I think they made a real marketing error here. If they reach high levels (3million for example) then the total game will be around $25. It is only expensive if they just make $500K or 1 million.
-
Having said that it looks decent. Also note it is fully voiced.

Meh the game looks like something that'd interest me especially since i'm atm in a kinda scifi mood.
I really really dislike their first stretch goal though, enough so it would put the game on my no buy list. On the other hand the game is way too expensive if not at least stretch goal 4 is reached.

I don't really see this going anywhere unless the underlying Scifi Unirverse has a huge following.

I'll wait till it hits Steam for super cheap price. After 40+ Kickstarters, I'm being very selective on any new ones, and this one just doesn't cut it.

-Carn

I think they severely overestimate the allure of their stretch goals, not to mention the price for all five episodes.

Pledge tiers aside, the game doesn't even really look all that interesting. And the PS4 choice selection UI is another red flag.

This game won't make it to $500K just like Shadows of the Eternals didn't get to it's goal and mostly for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom