Demonicon - Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it seems Demonicon is now available and the early release was correct.

Now Available on Steam - Demonicon

Demonicon is Now Available on Steam!

Demonicon is a thrilling action-RPG set in the extraordinarily popular universe of “The Dark Eye”, a richly crafted fantasy world beloved by fantasy gamers across the globe.

The Dark Eye - Demonicon tells the tragic story of a brother and sister who become pawns of sinister forces in a world of cruelty and depravity. In this bleak yet magical world, their affection is both a blessing and a curse. Both are constantly threatened by mortal danger and demonic temptation, and must find a way through their tortured lives by facing serious moral decisions. Their common destiny will determine that of the entire continent, and will be decided by the choices they make. Hordes of fiends block their way to freedom and peace, and only through battle and magic they will truly become free of the darkness.

More information.

Played a bit, it's not bad but I could find a lot of little problems. However, is also has a absurd checkpoint only save system, that is gamebraking for me. If I explore and forget tham I am low health a lot of gameplay can be lost - with all conversations, character building choices, and the like with it - as the saves are only when quest progresses (and maybe on zone changes). Until it's fixed, I'm not playing it any more.

The first impressions I'm seeing from people on the Steam forums are mixed. They started out mostly positive, but now I'm seeing a lot of complaints from people who don't like the game. A lot of bitching about the combat and animations in particular.

It doesn't look bad to me, but I'm more concerned about the linearity than the combat, etc. It's already been stated that it's not open-world, but I don't know if that means that exploration is just limited or if it's totally on rails.

I was real close to pulling the trigger on this one, but I've decided to wait for now.

If I explore and forget tham I am low health a lot of gameplay can be lost -

How is the exploration? Are there hidden areas and loot, etc.? How far off the beaten path does the game allow you to roam?

OMG

It's installed but can't play it before I get back home later (working)… Checkpoints?!
Why the hell noone told me before I've preordered it? I just can't believe it. Noone mentioned anywhere this game has the C64 not enough space on output devices to make a proper savegame system.
Yes, I'm an idiot, I've expected a PC game and obviously got scammed.

No surprise seeing 6/10 for such crap. And that 6 is perhaps too generous.

Do I really have to ask in the future before preordering something if a PC game has a normal savegames? Because of this, there is no chance I'll preorder anything for a while.

I love TDE universe and mechanics, but honestly I have to say this game never looked/sounded very good to me.
Blackguards, on the other hand, shows enormous potential. Hopefully TDE fans will finally have a winner there. It's been a long time since Attic's excellent RoA series...

Do I really have to ask in the future before preordering something if a PC game has a normal savegames?

I hear you. I hope this kind of thing stops and now. PCs are supposed to allow saves anywhere as a default dagnabit! Devs should make it clearly known if otherwise.

Uggh.....checkpoint saves are now to me the same thing as Ucrap or gfwl...a dealbreaker. I don't care how good the game is, if the developers are going to dictate when I get to save, I'll be keeping my cash. I just find that a very lazy way to design a game.

How is the exploration? Are there hidden areas and loot, etc.? How far off the beaten path does the game allow you to roam?

Not great - at least so far, but then I got annoyed by the saves quite early. Areas are not too big, and feel somewhat empty. Not certain about hidden areas, as there is a perception skill that supposed to help with finding secrets - but how it works and if it's worth it, I don't know yet.
I remember a point quite early on when I got annoyed, because I found a passage with a trap, and there was lever in an adjacent room that disabled it - but you needed Disarm Trap to do so. To pull a bloody lever. You also can't pick herbs without plant lore, which maybe makes more sense.

Edit: Animations are not great, and facial animation is laughable, but that's not something I care about all that much. Haven't yet decided if I like the combat.
Also, all (potentially, as you may lack skill to do so) interactable items are surrounded by big white circle that's visible from quite a long way - so it is hard to miss anything.

Now I'm glad I didn't buy this. Why do devs think checkpoint saves are a good idea? I may still but this when it's on sale sometime, but no full price support here.

Ty fungus!
A spoiler it is, but since there is no classic savegames it can only be used to avoid annoyances.
Just about to finally start it so I'll grab early disarm, per. and botanics. Unless I can return to previously explored areas?

The first impressions I'm seeing from people on the Steam forums are mixed. They started out mostly positive, but now I'm seeing a lot of complaints from people who don't like the game. A lot of bitching about the combat and animations in particular.[..]

Pretty much why I want to test this game.

ahhhh, no save games

I think the game looks great. An earlier new bit linked to a play session and the game looked combat heavy but I was still interested.

But with no save (typical) games, I can see this twixt challenged gamer playing battles over and over, thus

I will have to move on

I have a few reviews I'll post later as the front page has to many new-bits for today already. As for me I'm disappointed, but still find some enjoyment from the game.

AH-HA

So that's the reason we see the next days news listings, well before the current day has ended.

One of life's mysteries now explained.
Where's Leonard Nimoy?????

AH-HA

So that's the reason we see the next days news listings, well before the current day has ended.

One of life's mysteries now explained.
Where's Leonard Nimoy?????
Well as I said before I update around 4-5 PM Central Time but since the site is based overseas it's already the next day. It gets confusing easily.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom