Unsung Story - A New Tactical RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians is a new Kickstarter looking to bring the Tactical RPG to the PC , and Mac users. The game needs $600,000 with 30 days left.

According the press release it's being developed by Yasumi Matsuno.

Carlsbad, Calif., Jan. 14, 2014Playdek, known for its award-winning mobile games, announced today a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to bring its new RPG tactics game Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians to PC and Mac. Playdek originally joined forces with master designer Yasumi Matsuno to develop a series of mobile games based on Matsuno’s creative vision. The overwhelming fan response to its partnership with the legendary designer encouraged Playdek to turn to Kickstarter to help it raise $600,000 to develop the game across multiple platforms, deepen the content and add to its creative “dream” team.

Famous for designing the classic games Final Fantasy® Tactics, Vagrant Story® and Final Fantasy® XII, Matsuno is known for creating vibrant and immersive worlds and intense, tactical game play. He will design the original story, characters and game world of Unsung Story on all platforms.
I also have a video for anyone to watch if your interested.

More information.

I hope this is 1/2 as good as FF:T :biggrin: No interest in the MP portion but I loved the story, classes, and skill system so I hope they do a good job with those.
I agree it has been almost 16 years, and I still haven't found one to replace it. I saw this today and it was an instant back for me. No hesitation at all.:excited:

I'm sure Joxer will pop-up any second with his Anti-iOS propaganda.:paranoid:

Not gonna lie, once they mentioned Matsuno and FF:T, I pledged before I finished the video. I've been so tempted for years now to pick up a PSP almost solely for the FF:T titles. The only similar type game that's come out since FF:T that I really liked was Disgaea. While the story/maturity level pales in comparison, they did a good job with combat & classes.

I like the concept, but I'll wait till it hits Steam I think. I'm learning that most things are pretty dirt cheap the moment they're released, for the most part.

They are vague about the combat system.

Also, the subtitles are a 2M$ stretch goal? That's crazy!

And what about inconsistencies about what they say, like:

"$2.45M – Alexander O. Smith will compose Flavor Text for the Unsung Story Card Game and 2 Additional Classes will be added

The flavor text for the Unsung Story Card Game will not be composed by Alexander O. Smith and we will also add 2 more additional classes to the tactics game. "

So, will Alexander compose the flavour text or not?

They ask for 600000$, but that's for a incomplete game. Almost 3M$ is required for the full experience. Yet, they are willing to compromise the quality of the game and their vision very significantly.

Also, just ideas and concept art to show right now? Having a "legend" in their team didn't help to get funds from somewhere else? Is KickStarter their only resource? If they get only 600000$, I doubt the game will see the light of the day.

Actually I have problems imagining what the game will be like. (Perhaps due to the fact I don't no anything about Final Fantasy® Tactics, Vagrant Story® and Final Fantasy® XII?).

Reading the project description on their KS reminds me of HOMM V/VI where you play the same story with different factions and its according heroes in form of campaigns having multiple scenarios each.
Will the gameplay be just like this, so turn-based exploring and turn-based combat?

Also, just ideas and concept art to show right now? Having a "legend" in their team didn't help to get funds from somewhere else? Is KickStarter their only resource? If they get only 600000$, I doubt the game will see the light of the day.

The game has made almost $200,000 in one day already, and still has 29 days left. You make some good points, but I have to say I don't agree with you.

I also have faith in the company as they have released a few other games, and if it does fail then who cares as I only invested $20.

Anyway I have yet to back a project that has failed after funding. I can recall maybe three games out of the hundred that have been funded have done this.

Now pardon me as I see posts like yours for almost every Kickstarter I post about. ^^

Actually I have problems imagining what the game will be like. (Perhaps due to the fact I don't no anything about Final Fantasy® Tactics, Vagrant Story® and Final Fantasy® XII?)

You can use Blackguards or Banner Saga for examples.

Here is a link for a review of the PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics. As the game is a spiritual successor of it.

Link-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-kMWR5OQs

Unsung Story is an exciting turn-based, tactical war simulation RPG that plays across a great epoch, through individual story episodes. YOU, the player, research and explore the vast history of this conflict that nearly tore Rasfalia apart, by reliving past battles and political events.

Last edited:
I'll have to try FFT again, but I don't remember liking it that much when I tried it, and I love tactical games. I think the whole profession thing is what I didn't like, having to jump from a profession to another to another. I prefer like in Gladius, each character is a class and progresses through the game as that class, no switcheroo from warrior to wizard to bard to knight, but maybe I'm thinking of another game.

The description is very vague; so I checked out the reviews of their current games - while all apple ios games; the ones I checked had very high reviews and high price point (5 to 7 dollars for a mobile game) so maybe they know what they are doing?
-
I'm not sure - they really do very poor job describing the game but they have 29 days to fix that and I can always cancel if i don't like what I hear...

I'm sure Joxer will pop-up any second with his Anti-iOS propaganda.:paranoid:

Popping up… What anti-iOs, you sure this is a phonegame? I mean… Definetly doesn't look like it.

But the presentation is not detailed enough!

FF:T does require you to change your character classes around a bit in order to unlock different classes (though a lot of the special characters lose their special abilities when changed so you probably don't change them much if at all). I just loved the ability to take abilities from multiple jobs and throw them together to make a highly customized class. And the story was quite good imo.

Nice concept art and I definitely like turn-based combat. They're doing very well so far. Not sure whether I'll like the approach yet—playing a series of pre-built characters makes it sound like more of a combat simulator wrapped in a linear story.

Sounds interesting but I'd definitely like to hear more specific info about the gameplay mechanics. They allude to the player decisions but I wonder how much if any Choice and Consequence they plan to have. I'm also waiting to see their decision on whether or not to release a DRM-free copy. It frustrates me to no end how some game developers think DRM can actually prevent piracy when it all it ever does is punish your paying customers.

I agree it has been almost 16 years, and I still haven't found one to replace it. I saw this today and it was an instant back for me. No hesitation at all.:excited:

I adore FFT too. However, two years ago I finally started playing Tactics Ogre for PSP (the semi-remake). As hard as this is to believe, I find it superior (superior!) to FFT. The game is so insanely strategic and tactical. Plus it has a brilliant story and intellectual dialogue. The only big downside is the basic graphics in battle.

Anyway, I know FFT is the "big name" game, but Tactics Ogre on PSP/Vita is so good. So, so good.

About the Kickstarter, the mobile dev credentials scare me too…but its Matsuno! Matsuno! Must support!

Looks good, yeah sure I'll back it.

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom