Wasteland 2 - Preview @ Pixel Judge

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Pixel Judge takes a look at the ealy beta version of Wasteland 2.

Combining the old school point of view and control scheme with more modern graphics and art design, Wasteland 2 looks amazing. Character models look as good up close as they do at a distance, and the variety of customisation options at character creation helps to avoid confusion between the characters you've created and those you encounter in your travels. The environment design is as beautiful as you can expect from a game set after the apocalypse - and even then some areas will surprise you. I sincerely hope that Bethesda's art team is taking notes, because it leaves their latest efforts looking like a dead wasteland in comparison.

The level design is superb, and contains quite a few tricks and traps that, unlike quite a few games I've played, feel fair. There was always an element of 'you should have been paying more attention' every time I triggered a plant-based bomb or some other trap, since every one of them could have been avoided if I rotated the camera before moving, or paid more attention to what was going on around me. The UI’s design could be tweaked to make it a bit more intuitive, and there are a few problems with text scaling on higher resolutions, but those are things that the devs are still working to improve. On the whole, Wasteland 2 is shaping up to be the prettiest isometric RPG I've played.
More information.

The visuals do look good, and while I haven't seen enough vids to have a very good feel for what the UI is like, that seems to be well done, too. And this is a small team, by industry standards. Gonna be a tough sell next time some company tries to claim they can't make a quality game without having 547 employees working on it.

Back
Top Bottom