ES4: Oblivion - Lawsuit Over Bugs @ Kotaku

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
kotaku has an update on the 2012 lawsuit agaisnt Bethesda over Oblivion's bugs.

In 2012, Colorado resident Landis Edwards sued the folks behind The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion over a bug that erased one of his game files. The bug, Edwards said, violated the marketing copy on the back of Oblivion's box, which promised "open-ended" gameplay with "unlimited possibilities."

Edwards filed the suit as a class-action with a firm called Edelson, and they battled with Zenimax, the parent company of Oblivion developer Bethesda, for a year and a half or so. A few weeks ago, according to court documents, the case was dismissed with prejudice following a joint stipulation. Settlement terms weren't disclosed.

Edelson, it's worth noting, was once called "the most feared and loathed firm in Silicon Valley" in a Business Insider mini-profile. They like their class-action lawsuits, and Business Insider describes their strategy as: 1) File suit over something "nitpicky," and 2) "Accept a modest settlement from the accused company, which is willing to pay just to make the whole thing go away. Pay out tiny amounts to the plaintiffs who joined the class action. Take huge fees."
More information.

Oblivion bugs? What bloody Oblivion bugs? There were some, but cmon. Compared to... I can only say bah.

Sue Skyrim instead. As a proof, buy it for the judge and let him play.

Oblivion bugs? What bloody Oblivion bugs? There were some, but cmon. Compared to… I can only say bah.

Sue Skyrim instead. As a proof, buy it for the judge and let him play.
Well then you just lost some forum credit with your posts about Skyrim. If you hate one game for bugs you can't overlook the other. :p

Oblivion still has bugs that never got fixed, and it seems to be a staple of all the Bethesda games. I still wouldn't trade those games for anything else.

Last edited:
Well then you just lost some forum credit with your posts about Skyrim. If you hate one game for bugs you can't overlook the other. :p

Oblivion still has bugs that never got fixed, and it seems to be a staple of all the Bethesda games. I still wouldn't trade those games for anything else.

Then I too have lost credits :'(- Oblivion and Skyrim, from the little that I spent on them, are no more than hiking simulators - their only salvation is mods.

And ofcourse no one can compete with them, why would anyone want to do a million dollar hiking simulator (except few similar hiking, open world, survival games that are appearing lately).

For decent, non insulting, open world, proper story and interesting world see Fallout NV and the gothics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you lose credit I was talking about his constant complaining about bugs in Skyrim. I was comparing how he can overlook the other ESO games.

It wasn't directed at you.;)

Edelson, it's worth noting, was once called "the most feared and loathed firm in Silicon Valley" in a Business Insider mini-profile. They like their class-action lawsuits, and Business Insider describes their strategy as: 1) File suit over something "nitpicky," and 2) "Accept a modest settlement from the accused company, which is willing to pay just to make the whole thing go away. Pay out tiny amounts to the plaintiffs who joined the class action. Take huge fees."

I'm actually surprised that the U.S. law allows such an construction.
But I guess that this is just the good side of Capitalism.

What, if one of the "plaintiffs wo joined the class action" sues them over the amount they received from them ?

Back
Top Bottom