Everquest Next: Landmark- Screenshots & Videos

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
DualShockers has a couple of new videos and screenshots for Everquest Next: Landmark.

Below you can see a gallery with a few early screenshots of the alpha, courtesy of Reddit users insolencehd and StoneLegionGaming, and two videos showing character creation and David Georgeson’s in-game introduction, uploaded by YouTube user Incarnate and Mike Garcia.
More information.

EverQuest Next Landmark should really have it's own category.

The confusion is widespread and people seem to think being in the Landmark alpha (which IS NOT an RPG) is the same as being in the EverQuest Next alpha (which IS an RPG).

I omitted MMO because they both are definitely MMOs. And although Next seems to bring some fresh takes to the MMORPG, it's pitch is still far more traditional than Landmark.

I kept both together under one category as it was easier to maintain. Anyway each game is now separate so their should be no confusion now.;)

I've played EQ games since 1998 and I'll admit to being confused as well. Not even sure why one has the EQ moniker, it doesn't resemble everquest in the slightest. None of my friends or people I play with are at all interested in that one, the one that seems more like a EQ game might actually get some migration from the earlier incarnations of EQ, at least to sample the new one.

I've played EQ games since 1998 and I'll admit to being confused as well. Not even sure why one has the EQ moniker, it doesn't resemble everquest in the slightest. None of my friends or people I play with are at all interested in that one, the one that seems more like a EQ game might actually get some migration from the earlier incarnations of EQ, at least to sample the new one.
It looks like Landmark is a prototype to test out the building system. As it will be included in the true sequel called just Everquest Next.

I could be wrong but that's my impression.^^

SOE developers are on record saying they regret naming EQ II... EQ II, potentially losing on new customer sales. I feel they're repeating the mistakes of the past with these confusing monikers, this time by creating such confusion as to what EQ3 will actually entail that people lose interest altogether.

Both games will have the same engine and the voxels that allow people to mine and craft (see what I did there?) in Landmark will allow for destructible environments in the RPG.

The naming of these two games by SOE has been really stupid… maybe on the level of Nintendo with their DS vs 3DS and Wii vs WiiU.

I actually do hope some parts of Landmark make it into the RPG, especially if there is to be player housing. If not giving free reign to create anything they want to (probably a plethora of phallic symbols) at least offer a choice of pre-fab homes.

What sounds good to me about the RPG is the dynamism it purportedly will contain… but MMOs have promised that before and the end result was very lame all things considered.

By the way, thanks for separating them Couchpotato.

Landmark will also have combat (against creatures) at some point. The only thing it won't have is character skills that you have to progress (it has stats, well some). It also has no story or lore.

I'm in alpha and it's quite rough, but there's potential here. Despise the character art style, though.

That said, I'm less interested in the Minecraft EQ than I am in how they plan to control such freedom in a compelling world and design.

So far, I'm worried that they really have no idea beyond these "freedom" visions - and when reality of player behavior sets in, they're going to have to take a lot of it back a notch.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and they know what they're doing.

Still, I wouldn't expect EQN to arrive for at least a couple of years. What they're talking about takes a ridiculous amount of work to pull off.

Back
Top Bottom