JA:Flashback - Early Access Impression

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gabriel Mejia posted a short Early Access impression for Jagged Alliance Flashback on Two Dash Stash. Unlike the other previews he says Full Control is making progress.

Currently, the game is available through Steam’s Early Access program is still a ways away from an official release. Nonetheless, the Early Access build of the game is playable, without any game breaking bugs or issues, and shows that the team at Full Control is making steady progress on the game. Of course, with some minor bugs, a spartan UI, and missing assets the game is far from perfect, that being said, combat, which was my main focus, was enjoyable and fun.

More information.

But it seems like this reviewer wasn't aware that the game will be releasing next month already:
and is scheduled for a late 2014 with the possibility of development and release extending until 2015.

Well if the combat's enjoyable and fun that's not nothing. It's a game about combat after all, not racecar driving or sailing.

I'm not impressed. Yet. And don't see how this game becomes anything significantly more with their current release schedule. I got the game when it was on sale recently at a less stupid price and even at that price the game is dramatically overpriced.

I surely regret spending $33 on the game since it's worth about $10 max right now, and really that's pushing it, since the game looks and feels like a really bad mobile to PC port with next to nothing going on in it.

The game is ultra simplistic. It feels like a tablet game to me. I want PC games, not children's toys designed for single celled organisms The UI is screwy, managing inventory is screwy, managing mercs is screwy, little things like no hotkey to reload and if you hit the reload button on the UI when you have no ammo you click thru instead and move your merc which is usually a disaster. This close to the supposed release things should feel less like a prototype (for mobile) and more like a fully functional (ideally PC) game.

There's no buying or selling yet so you can't buy ammo - a kind of basic thing for a game like this, and you can't sell the crap you loot. (And pretty much once I confirmed this I stopped playing since that's just amazingly stupid.) I'm sure this stuff will be in but IMO these are very basic things that for this particular game should've been in, tested, refined, and done a LONG time before release, not held to the last moment.

Perks and all elements of character stats are currently locked so you can't do anything with character development. And this game is supposed to release when?

Combat is ok but it's again, ultra simplistic. At least there's somewhat of a cover system. It's pretty much I see you, you see me, let's shoot at each other til one of us is dead. If you run out of LOS of an enemy they tend to forget about you immediately, or path into a wall or something so you can hang out, reload, heal, and go back into the fight at your leisure. The AI is pretty sad, and when the game is really ONLY about tactical combat one would hope for something better.

Environment graphics are pretty with lots of fluffy details that are meaningless in the big picture but look good - and that's about the most positive thing I can say about the game.

I didn't try that many mercs but the few I did had VO that made me want to punch a kitten. But at least they have VO. One sniper guy I had sounded like a direct grab from one of the Silent Storm characters. The metal chick is just annoying. The CIA guy you start with is just brutal. All of this is subjective though and out of the many mercs (another good thing) surely there's some VO one would like.

There is potential but I don't see how this ends well with the release schedule they propose. At the very least they have to finish their content, finish AI so there IS some AI, finish inventory/buying/selling systems, finish perks and character development, and somehow make the game feel less like a children's toy and more like a PC game.

IMO this is yet another nowhere near worthy successor. It's like JA is cursed.

It's like JA is cursed.

The curse continues I guess.

It's actually just really hard to make a game like that. I know because I have spent a ton of time on it. If someone came with a small budget and did it effectively in a short time period I would probably have to kill myself. So it's good news for me.

I didn't try that many mercs but the few I did had VO that made me want to punch a kitten. But at least they have VO.
So you prefer shitty VO to no VO? If it's that bad, I hope you can at least turn them off. JA2 was one of the very few games I played where I wanted to hear the characters talking.

Back
Top Bottom