Wasteland 2 - Work Continues On

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The next post-funding update for Wasteland 2 has infomation from InXile Entertainment about new patches, reviews, and physical goods shipping.

Deep Breath…OK, Now Work Continues On

Wow! We've been extremely humbled and electrified at the feedback coming in during Wasteland 2's first week as an officially released game! We love seeing you discover all the little touches and intricacies of the game. We have been very happy to see people engrossed by the game we made with your help, and the high praise directed at it! So, mission accomplished, time to wrap this baby up!

I kid..I kid. We started working on our first patch even before the game was out, and released it last Friday. You can find the 9 pages of patch notes over on our tumblr.

Many fixes were to issues we were aware of but we've also been keeping an eye on your feedback, and tweaking the game experience based on the masses of information flowing across the various discussion boards on the web. One example of this was reducing the jam rates for guns that most frequently caused problems. Our design team is busy cleaning up issues in the various levels and will continue to do so. We are also hard at work fixing memory-related issues to reduce crashes on 32-bit machines.

The game launched with some problems in localizations causing keywords to be entirely missing which could lock you into dialogs. With the latest patch these bugs should be resolved, we will continue to catch any straggling bugs and to polish, edit and improve the localized versions in the future. We fully intend to continue supporting and updating this game, while we are also starting on the development of our modding tools.

Reviews

Part of the fun and horror of releasing a game is watching reviews stream in, both from users and press. Thankfully it was more fun than horror as Wasteland 2 currently stands at 88% recommended on Steam, with a lot of great reads in the top helpful reviews.

Press reviews have been great as well, such as these from Game Informer (8.75), Gizorama (4.5/5), and GamesBeat (94). We're rounding up all reviews on our tumblr (116 and counting).

Physical Goods Shipping

While everyone can and hopefully is playing Wasteland 2 now with their Steam or GOG keys from the Ranger Center, we've been awaiting timelines from Deep Silver on physical shipping. Because they assembled different elements from different locations in the world and generally used slower shipping, the timeline of physical goods was much longer than we anticipated. As it is looking now, our timeline will be:

- The first batch of physical goods will be standard boxes only, shipped on the 3rd week of this month. These will go out to backers receiving only the standard box.

- Batches of physical goods including the metal Collector's Edition box will ship next and we'll announce a more precise time as soon as we have it.

Deep Silver will ship them with general post shipping (without tracking). We will keep you informed as we get more info on the specific batches shipping out.

We apologize this process took longer than we'd planned or hoped for at the outset. Unfortunately, things outside of our control made it take longer than anticipated. We will do our utmost to ensure you get your physical goods as soon as is possible and in good order.
More information.

Can't wait for the update next month. As soon as that's out, I'm going to play it again.

Same here. :)

Have they talked about adding stuff to the game, yet? As in anything concrete?

Quite a lot of little things they add to bring improvements. It is strongly story driven, with dead ends if you stray from the plot line, and a few added reactions could add in this regard.

I am really enjoying this game even though I think my party is pretty crappy. I only have a couple more minor complaints at this point. Mind you I am only now cleaning up AgCenter and about to go to Highpool:

1. The area of the UI where you enter keywords gets stuck and doesn't accept input. Plus I question the existence of any hidden keywords thus far into the game.

2. Story-wise I am disappointed the rangers end up at locations from the original (i.e. Highpool & Agcenter). I'm not very far into the game so there may be others too. Yes, there are lots of other places to go, but rehashing old areas from the original just feels like they are mailing it in. In the case of AgCenter, again with the rabbits? On the other hand, I have enjoyed finding various items that reference the original game.

Also, what happens when a ranger dies? Are you able to replace them by returning to Ranger Citadel? I haven't been granted access yet, but IIRC in the original you could return there and create new characters.

Waiting on a few more patches before diving into the Wasteland. Divinity is keeping me well occupied, at least =)
Same here. :)
Not the same here, the game is installed and patched with this huge patch, it's just I don't have concentration nor enough time needed for it currently. :(
If I did, no upcoming patches announcements would stop me from playing it right now.

I am really enjoying this game even though I think my party is pretty crappy. I only have a couple more minor complaints at this point. Mind you I am only now cleaning up AgCenter and about to go to Highpool:

1. The area of the UI where you enter keywords gets stuck and doesn't accept input. Plus I question the existence of any hidden keywords thus far into the game.

2. Story-wise I am disappointed the rangers end up at locations from the original (i.e. Highpool & Agcenter). I'm not very far into the game so there may be others too. Yes, there are lots of other places to go, but rehashing old areas from the original just feels like they are mailing it in. In the case of AgCenter, again with the rabbits? On the other hand, I have enjoyed finding various items that reference the original game.

Also, what happens when a ranger dies? Are you able to replace them by returning to Ranger Citadel? I haven't been granted access yet, but IIRC in the original you could return there and create new characters.

As far as locations go, only 3 out of something like 30 major locations are revisted from the old game (and very very different in the new one anyways.)

I'm playing through it now and don't even remember the areas from the original game. I only played Wasteland one time and that was at release :) I barely remembered the names of the characters.

I think i'm about 3/4 of the way done. Finding some of it painful some of it fun. I ahve a sneaky feeling of how my current decision are going to impact things when I reach LA but don't know yet as I need one more bag of kitty litter. I know I missed quite a few thing. I'm plying mid difficulty and not finding it excessively difficult but not trivial either; biggest pia is weight management. I did one sleezy thing and gave my characters high int and occasionally i look up answer to specific question after spending an ok amount of time trying to do it myself.
-
I'm not overjoyed with the game - it seems to lack something with regards to eager to see wht happens next - i'm more of the mood lets just finish this and move on to something more fun. Can't really quantify it beyond that - but I did enjoy divinity more than this - if I had to give scores right now I would rate wastlend 2 7 and divnity 8 (dinivity would get a higher score 'cept for some annoying bugs that are still not fixed and the story side needs more elements (more flushing); wasteland 2 has the story elements but the game play and quests are not overly exciting and some of the skills are just annoying (like level 9 toaster frequently critical falure due to needing 10) and needing 6 skills for chests (computer, pick, tumbler, alarm, disarm, toaster). Also i've found 2 or 3 unbreakable locks with absolutely no clues as to how to open.

I'm playing through it now and don't even remember the areas from the original game. I only played Wasteland one time and that was at release :) I barely remembered the names of the characters.

One of the nostalgic bits I have enjoyed too from an early part of the game is:

Angela Deth recapping what happened to the premade characters from the original WL.

@jhwisner: It's good to know there won't be too much rehashing then.

Finally, news about the physical goods. I'm playing MM6 right now and will probably go into another Kickstarter game "Among the Sleep" (adventure game from a toddlers perspective). After I finish those games, my cloth map will have been delivered and framed on my wall. And then my adventures in the Wasteland can begin. (Early November?)

I'm not very far into the game right now, but I can say that I have not encountered any real bugs, at least none that were big enough for me to notice. I guess the beta paid off, in terms of ironing out a lot of the bugs, although I never played the beta, so I can't really compare it.

Less than happy about the huge delay on my C.E.. A one-two week wait is fine; one-two months not so much.

Yeah, same here... I'll probably have to wait even longer for my signed CE. :-/
The final game should not have been released until the boxes were ready to ship... It's not smart business to upset big money contributors. I'll think twice before pledging for physical rewards next time.

Yeah, same here… I'll probably have to wait even longer for my signed CE. :-/
The final game should not have been released until the boxes were ready to ship… It's not smart business to upset big money contributors. I'll think twice before pledging for physical rewards next time.

But you DO have a digital download code too right? So you don't actually have to wait to play the game?

Back
Top Bottom