Gamasutra - CRPG Book & Gaming History

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Felipe from the RPG Codex posted a guest blog on Gamasutra about his free CRPG Book, and asks the readers about, "Why are we abandoning gaming history?".

A few months ago we had the celebration of the 40th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons. This date was widely celebrated in the circles devoted to tabletop role-playing games, but barely mentioned in those focused on video-games. Which is a sad thing, not only due the undebatable impact of Dungeons & Dragons in video games, but more importantly, because 2014 also marks 40 years since D&D players sat in front of their PLATO mainframes and started to program virtual adaptations of tabletop RPGs, such as pedit5, m199h and dnd.

Yes, it has now been 40 years since the first Computer RPGs were created. But it doesn't feel that way, does it? How often do you hear about RPGs older than 20, or even 15 years?

But I’m getting ahead of myself.
And here is his conclusion.

Fellow critic, learn about the roots of gaming, about the purpose of mechanics. Abandon pre-made sentences such as "games were only turn-based due to technological limitations" and research into the subject yourself. There's too much misinformation floating around, and that will only be solved by informed individuals.

Fellow gamer, be curious. Look beyond prejudices and try, wholeheartedly, to play older games. There's a reason why those games are considered classics and people still play them today. I promise that it will be a much more interesting (and cheap) experience than buying the latest AAA release, playing it for 15 hours and never looking back.

And to all that made this far into the text without thinking something like “ugh, such rose-colored nostalgia glasses” and closing the tab, thank you. I'm doing my part and trying to compile the history of CRPGs into a free, accessible and passionate book. And I could use some help!

More information.

Good article (BTW: nice Amiga 500 felipepepe!) and I agree 100% with one of his replies to the article:

Recently Josh Sawyer made a post about this on Kotaku, about "How to Balance an RPG". He's the lead designer on Pillars of Eternity, a spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate, and that made me sad. BG was extremely unbalanced, and I loved that.

I loved to plan out my party, make solo runs with "bad" classes, to be teased by a weapon that my current party can't equip (and incorporate it on my next playthrough). If you go to hardcore RPG forums, you'll see that I'm not alone. There's a running joke on the RPG Codex that "Josh Sawyer wants to end fun!!1", precisely because of that.

And that's my grudge with modern gaming. Yes, I know that a lot of people don't like that. They don't want to fail on party creation, they want to see all in a single playthrough, they hate cursed items and nasty surprises. But I don't! And for more than a decade, there were no games for those like me!

Take a look at Dark Souls, for example. At people doing runs using only crossbows, at soul level 1, with fist weapons, with silly armors, and all those "badly balanced" choices. They love that! There's a lively community built around that, these are the people that played that game the most!

The fact that most Japanese developers don't adhere to modern design school is why I love them so much. You can still find surprises such as unlockable secrets, New Game+, hidden tough bosses and all those "outdated" things that vanished from western gaming.

That's why I call modern gaming "pasteurized". You say that it became a science, I say that it became standardized. Yes, the designers of yore didn't have unified theories, and that was great; it allowed them to explore and challenge definitions. We had wonders like System Shock 2 precisely because of that.

It was a frontier era, that expanded our horizons to places that we don't visit anymore. And that's a damn shame.

Felipe's CRPG Book thread at the Watch

I agree but as I get older I would like a more middle ground of both eras. Basically not everything from the past was great, and not everything from today is better.

Sadly I don't think anyone will ever find a way. It's either one or the other it seems.

Divinity: Original Sin is a good mix between old and new game mechanics.

I hear good things about Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut as well.

I agree with you but I talking about the larger developers.:)

As for Divinity: Original Sin I gave the game a 5/5 on Corwin's review, It's the second game this year that made me enjoy turn-based RPGs once again.
"Divinity: Original Sin is the best game I played this year, and it revived my hope in turn-based RPGs. The game deserves a solid 5/5, and Larian Studios should be proud of their achievement."
I also found a lot of enjoyment in Wasteland 2, and I hope other developers follow both inXile , and Larian examples. Time will tell I guess.
I hear good things about Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut as well
I haven't had the chance to play it yet. I did play the original Shadowrun, and a few mods though. While I enjoyed it didn't catch my interest like the other two games.

Wasteland 2 is cool. It needs 1-2 patches to fix a few bugs.

I was a bit disappointed by the original Shadowrun
and I had no chance to play Dragonfall - Director's Cut yet. Most people, who played it, say:
"Everything is better!"

I'll probably give it a go this week as I got the free upgrade from being a backer. I did read the game is better, and improved. The new screenshots show an improved GUI.

I just hope the character interaction got a facelift also.o_O

Someone posted this at CRPG Addict's blog: A dad put his little child through 25 years of gaming history in about 4 years. Amazing and fun to read real-life experiment.

Playing with my Son

(He should have let him play more RPGs though. ;))

Back
Top Bottom