Gamasutra - Looting Game Design

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamasutra is hosting another article from Thomas Henshell who shares his view on looting game design for his RPG game. He uses Sid Meier's Pirates! as an example.

So what do I mean when I say I'm making Pirates! with mages?

I do not mean having a 3D map with a mage running around attacking merchant caravans to impress governors and marry their daughters. To me, that would be a shallow copy.

I am implementing the six gold chests of design above in spirit. Most of my effort is focused on creating a plausible, living and breathing fantasy RPG world. One where nobles (my equivalent of governors) have personalities and ambitions. They procedurally generate quests based on what is happening in their territory and with their neighbors. You as the player decide which nobles you want to side with and which ones you want to use to test your new Fire Rain spell on. I'm taking what Sid did and going further with it. You have a home base (your mage tower)—and based on your fame (or infamy), nobles will send out raiding parties against you! So being naughty (or nice) has a lot to do with your personal security. This is one way the player will feel presence and permanence in the game world. Ultimately, I want to give players the ability to tell their own story. This, I hope, is what makes my game successful and keeps people returning for more.

In short, I'm stealing. In the best sense of the word :)
More information.

Learning from Pirates! variety of game mechanics is something more game devs should do.

PS: Loot
There's too much loot in many modern CRPGs.
Loot should feel important in a CRPG.

i think dark souls nailed it. it took that revenant idea of item sets. that was pretty awesome. no random loot.

even diablo1, you got an item, you'd wear it for ages

poe aint bad

Let's see...Loot is extremely important. Who nailed it? That's a tough one. I would say Arcanum did a lot of things right with loot (even though I've only played it for a short time), and Baldur's Gate's identification system is absolutely the best loot system I've seen. The thrill of identifying items and the possibility of finding something very unique with it's own lore and story..now THAT is how it's done!

A little Off-topic but is their anywhere you digitally buy the new Pirates! game. I know GOG sell the classic version, but I'm looking for the updated version.

Link for the game - http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sid-meiers-pirates!

My original CD is finally to far gone to be of any use to me.:sniff:

hmm - you don't follow RPGWatch Steam curation… :)

Pirates!

PS:
-> it is missing in our database
Thanks but yes I haven't looked at the full Steam curation list yet. :blush:

Of course it would be on Steam. I can't figure out why GOG hasn't gotten the rights to sell it on their service yet. Maybe I should ask more members to vote for GOG to sell it.

Anyway I have nothing agaisnt Steam, but I prefer my games to be sold DRM free on GOG just for reference sake. I will also add the game to our database.

Update: Game added to our database.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/reference?ref=0&id=771

Last edited:
Thanks!

If I find some time I'll make a RPGWatch Gog-list, too.

Back
Top Bottom