Skyrim - Defining Moments @ Continue-Play

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Jodie Rodgers of Continue-Play posted a new article that talks about in her opinion the Defining Moments of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. As usual here a small sample.

Skyrim is a journey that will last with you long after you put the controller down or turn the computer off. Every aspect of the world that Bethesda has created for the player is designed in such a way that immerses them into the life of their character. Although decisions don’t affect the story in such a way as other RPG’s sometimes do, I still felt like my presence made a difference in the world. I wasn’t just playing as the Dragonborn. I was Dovahkiin, Dragonborn, hero of Tamriel and the woman who would learn the language of the Thu’um in order to rid the world of the menace that was Alduin.

More so than any other game has before or after it, Skyrim changed my life (which sounds completely cliché, I know). It was the game that truly rekindled my love of video games and is the reason I became so interested in their development. Without Skyrim, I’d probably be studying to be a social worker at university. Instead, I’m learning more about how this industry works, how games are created, talking to developers and seeing the passion that every single member of this community puts into the products that they create, or even play. I wouldn’t be here sharing this experience with you as a writer.

Honestly, I don’t think the RPG genre as we now know it would be the same. The question that is always raised when a triple-A RPG is set for release is: “Is this game the next Skyrim?” or “How does this game compare to Skyrim?” It helped set the standard for the genre and is used as a comparison, not only in terms of success, but in terms of quality. It truly is an experience which will change the perspective of just about anyone who plays.
More information.

Kind of how I felt when I first started role-playing D&D in person. It opened my eyes to a new way of gaming. Just about every PnP RPG since has been ultimately compared to D&D.

Still haven't played Skyrim so I can't relate. I enjoyed Morrowind for 20 hours then asked myself, what am I doing and got bored.

I played the start of Oblivion and it was shit after the second oblivion gate and the moronic levelling system.

So Skyrim still isn't on my list, even after all the hype.

So never tried Skyrim.

Skryim was ok, but it was no Wizardry or Gold Box game, it didn't change my perspective on gaming or anything close. Give me either of the Grimrocks over Skyrim too.

The one defining moment - when you realize that the game is just the same handful of encounters, dungeons, & quests used again and again - and again. All laced with terrible dialogue and little to no C&C.

"So that's why I'm hellaciously bored! EUREKA!"

I played the start of Oblivion and it was shit after the second oblivion gate and the moronic levelling system.

So Skyrim still isn't on my list, even after all the hype.

So never tried Skyrim.

You got farther in Oblivion than I did, though Skyrim did make it my hard drive I think I played it for a total of 5 hours and that is restarting it a couple times trying to give it a second and third chance.

I felt it was the best of the ES series from a pure gameplay perspective. That is, controls; animations; immersion; visuals; etc.. But as has been noted many times it's deeply flawed game focused on the console experience.

I wouldn't even recommend trying to heavily mod it because you'll probably come into game breaking bugs for unforseen reasons. Also the mod managers don't do complete whole mod-installs so you have to do your own custom install instead of a community-supported total mods install that the community can bug test. Specifically it would be nice to, in three or four clicks, install a total set of 100 or so mods that has been rigorously tested together as a whole package.

That said I feel the urge to try again but I know it will probably be a waste of my time since after I install fifty+ mods I will hit a game breaking bug five or ten hours in. I've done the whole merged patches and all that. It seems to be an inherently unstable process because the game engine itself is so poorly coded and focused+tested to work within a limited range. Yes I've done everything possible to keep it stable with all the mods to no avail. It's a shit engine.

Back
Top Bottom