Northern Shadow - Dev Blog #1

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Chariots touches base with supporters of Northern Shadow with their first dev blog.

Back in March when Unreal Engine 4 was announced, we decided to stick with Unity, at that time the development cost of switching was too high, and we were still at that development sweet-spot that the Unity is at its best. As the issues accumulated, the cost of these workarounds started highly outweighing the cost of an engine switch. Which is why, even though after such a large amount of development, we decided to switch to Unreal Engine 4.

Unity is a great engine. And in fact, both 64-bit editor and level streaming issues have been fixed with the Unity 5, which became available for pre-orders a few weeks ago. Its just that for our specific situation, it was a few months late :)

That was a bit long, but after such a long silence, I think a more detailed explanation was needed. We couldn't talk much these last few months, because we were switching to a different engine, and didn't wanted to show it until was ready. But now we can talk about some of the new and exciting stuff!

We've completely redid the world. Originally we had 3 overworld zones that was 15sqkm big. We now have a single 103.4sqkm overworld zone that you can seamlessly travel. We've added seasons to the game, AI acts accordingly to them and your cities' requirements change over time. Switch also gave us a free boost to eye-candy department with better Post-Processing, GPU particles, dynamic global illumination, and better Anti-Aliasing.
More information.

More information.

Skyrim mixed with LoTR ?
Visuals and potentials seem great, it peaked my interest.

Yes, the trailer looks pretty good, as do the still shots. I wonder how much of it will be RPG? It sounds mostly like a RTS game.

Skyrim mixed with LoTR ?
I covered the game a few times already. It has my interest also.
Yes, the trailer looks pretty good, as do the still shots. I wonder how much of it will be RPG? It sounds mostly like a RTS game.
It's a hybrid of three different genres but is mostly a first person RPG.
Northern Shadow is a first person perspective RPG where you can build and manage your own kingdom. It has both sandbox elements, and a classical RPG story. The game starts after the great defeat of the Northern Kingdom, at the hands of an unknown enemy. Some of the survivors have traveled to distant lands in hopes of rebuilding the now fallen kingdom.

Looks interesting! Fingers crossed! Making a world is one thing. Making a fun game is another. Added to my watch list.

Skyrim mixed with LoTR ?

I'm with you, but it piqued my interest rather than rising all the way to the top. English is a weird, weird language.

Peek: to glance at
Peak: The top or apex of something-like a mountain peak
Pique: to stimulate interest or curiosity

All of these sound exactly the same when spoken.

Class out :)

Also, I know ikbenrichard is not a native speaker, but us natives mess this one up all the time too. This post is for information purposes only not to call out anyone. Hell, if I tried to speak Dutch I'd make even less sense than normal ;)

I'm with you, but it piqued my interest rather than rising all the way to the top. English is a weird, weird language.

Peek: to glance at
Peak: The top or apex of something-like a mountain peak
Pique: to stimulate interest or curiosity

All of these sound exactly the same when spoken.

Class out :)

Also, I know ikbenrichard is not a native speaker, but us natives mess this one up all the time too. This post is for information purposes only not to call out anyone. Hell, if I tried to speak Dutch I'd make even less sense than normal ;)

Hah !
Thank you for the correction.

However google translate does this : piqued = gepikeerd (ENG=DUTCH)
And i can tell you for certain, gepikeerd absolutely means something else !
Moreover, google translate: Pique = wrok. Wrok means revenge....
Complex aint it.

But then again Dutch is a stupid language :p

Back
Top Bottom