Massive Chalice - Preview at Rock Paper Shotgun

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Following yesterday's sad news from Double Fine, we have a new preview of Massive Chalice from Rock Paper Shotgun:

Score one for diversity in games: the realm has just been saved by a nearsighted, asthmatic, drunk lady. Marginalised wheezing pissheads rejoice! (Though do keep an inhaler and bucket close to hand.) Massive Chalice combines XCOM’s turn-based permadeath squad combat with Crusader Kings’ management of bloodlines across multiple generations, inducting heroes into a ruthless breeding program intended to foster a roster of noble characters with superior physiques. But, well, you have to work with what you’ve got and what I’ve got is a malformed, shuffling host of genetic wreckage. For the first time in games, I am among my people.
While RPS laments some of the randomization elements, they seem positive overall:

Perhaps it’s more aesthetic than mechanic, that sense of ages passing, sweeping beloved heroes into the dusty annals. When Alyx’s beleaguered liver finally packs in, she becomes nothing but a red skull icon, flying across the timeline at the top of the screen and into the past, further and further. I dearly wish the game offered some way to salute her – a statue, or one of those blue plaques. She wasn’t the toughest or the fastest. She wasn’t a sure shot or a braveheart. But she still stepped up and did her bit: truer heroism games have rarely seen.

And, by god, could she drink. You have to raise a glass to that.
More information.

This game gives me old-school Fire Emblem feels -- the fourth game in that series also featured hero-breeding, although only two generations of it.

In my mind's eye, it's sort of an XCom RPG crossbred with Rogue Legacy's family elements. Here's hoping it reaches its potential.

Back
Top Bottom