GamesRadar - The 8 Worst Uses of DLC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GamesRadar has a new article they posted where they talk about the eight worst ways DLC was used in gaming history, and surprise Horse armor is number one.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion marked the start of a new era of gaming in more ways than one. It brought many into then-new-gen gaming, sold people on the Xbox 360, and notoriously set the bar for insulting DLC. Oblivion’s Horse Armor is a famously poor example of downloadable content, charging players $2.50 / £1.70 for some extra equine protection that did absolutely nothing besides make your four-legged ride glimmer in the sunlight. It quickly becoming a cautionary tale in how not to handle DLC- but that 2006 offense to gamer's wallets seems quaint when compared to some of the downloadable mistakes that followed.

Despite consumer backlash, publishers always seem a little too willing to test the limits of how much they can charge for additional content. And consumers have always been ready to let them know where that limit is. Read on to see some of the most ludicrous ‘enhancements’ gaming has seen in the recent past…
More information.

The great Irony, is that Bethesda (the game studio behind their single player rpg's), has since released some of the best DLC in the industry. All of the additions to Fallout 3, and Fallout NV -especially New Vegas- were substantial. Skyrim's DLC -with the noted exception of Hearthfire- were old school expansion packs.

What amuses and disgust me, is the relatively new practice of "season passes". Who the hell buys... nothing. "Hey, if you buy this season pass, we'll give you a discount on DLC that'll be even cheaper a year from now. We can't tell you what kind of DLC it'll be, but trust us, it'll be awesome... idiot".

I'm guessing that anyone who purchased the Shadows of Mordor season pass is banging their heads against the wall.

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that most DLC's aren't worth buying, even at a discount. Even if they are true addons, or extra campaigns, they are rarely as good as the main story, and only usually worth buying if you're planning a second playthrough and want something extra. Granted there are some exceptions, like main games without a proper ending, but in most cases where I've bought complete or gold editions on sale, I rarely thought I gained a whole lot worth buying.

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that most DLC's aren't worth buying, even at a discount.
This is actually something I consider a good thing. In principle, I even see the notorious horse armor as a "good" kind of DLC. It's good in the sense as it's utterly dispensable with regard to the actual game, and the only reason to buy it is that you like decorating, so you don't mind spending a few dollars more on a game you like. It's the equivalent of the wardrobe with the 200 pairs of shoes. Does anyone need this? No. Do I mind if you want to have these? No. Do I care one way or the other? Not at all. Just don't expect me to follow suite. Which hopefully pleases both sides.

My thoughts…

1. Decorative DLC, why not, better people spend cash on that than on gambling (example Sims 3 stuffpacks like Katy Perry Sweet Treats)

2. Standalone DLC, yes please, prequel, sequel, epilogue, sidestory, spinoff (example FC3 Blood Dragon) I'll pay for this any day

3. Multiplayer DLC, absolutely yes, but multiplayer mode as a mode, who want to play multiplayer will buy it for some pocketchange, but definetly not putting pay2win crap as DLC where the base game already contains multiplayer, for example ME3

4. Game changing DLC, this behavior has to be declared illegal and it's publishers jailed and exiled from gaming industry till the rest of their pathetic life, it is the worst possible thing that ever appeared, from overpowered items, additional NPCs, storycritical cutouts from the release version, any pay2win mechanics, examples are numerous

5. Season pass is scam. It has to stop.

Well to be honest season pass for borderlands 2 was actually pretty decent. Don't know about any others - i purchased the borderlands 2 season pass after the content was released so i knew in advance it would be good - I esp like tina's campaign.

DLCs for Dishonored (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches) were also decent but this article isn't about the good ones is it?

Decent? It's awsome!
And, as all proper DLC, doesn't touch the main game. It's a completely separate story.

Bullshit!

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that most DLC's aren't worth buying, even at a discount. Even if they are true addons, or extra campaigns, they are rarely as good as the main story, and only usually worth buying if you're planning a second playthrough and want something extra. Granted there are some exceptions, like main games without a proper ending, but in most cases where I've bought complete or gold editions on sale, I rarely thought I gained a whole lot worth buying.

Slowly? When the very first one came out I couldn't believe that they had the gall to be so blatantly money grabbing. Then, fools bought them in droves and now it is everywhere. Do you mean to tell me that the cash grab/taking advantage of suckers wasn't immediately apparent to you?

Slowly? When the very first one came out I couldn't believe that they had the gall to be so blatantly money grabbing. Then, fools bought them in droves and now it is everywhere. Do you mean to tell me that the cash grab/taking advantage of suckers wasn't immediately apparent to you?

Ok, some were indeed. But I bought for example Skyrim Gold, and Warlock complete, and Dragon Age:Origins complete, and those games all offered extra content as DLCs. I'd say one warlock DLC, that with the elves was worth it, and convinced me to playthrough an extra time. The other content things, such as a few alternative advantages, were definately things I couldn't have cared about having. Most of the exta Dragon Age content/stories I found worse than the main campaign, and certainly would have enjoyed the game just as well without them. The Skyrim extras were decently done, and I have to say I actually enjoyed Dawnguard, and it would have been a decent purchase, but the other two DLCs I didn't find so super, and would have enjoyed the game just as much without them. So was it worth the extra ten euros, which I could have used to buy another game? I'm not sure. As for cosmetic DLCs, I don't need those at all.

I don't buy any DLC for RPGs, but for Paradox strategy games I buy all non-cosmetic DLCs.

Season passes primarily appeal to the pre-order and console folk, I'd imagine. DLC on consoles is much more rarely discounted, so the relatively modest savings of a season pass are more attractive. Equally, if you've got to have everything on day one, then you may as well save ~20%.

For the rest of us... Meh. Wait for reviews and/or sales.

Back
Top Bottom