Pillars of Eternity - Beta Build 392 Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it seems Obsidian has released the next Backer Beta Build of Pillars of Eternity.

Hello, all. Build 392 is now live for the Backer Beta. Currently, we only have the Windows build up on Steam, but we are looking into the Mac build. If we place it up I will update this post.

Important Changes

• You will notice quite a few combat balance changes in this build. Be on the lookout and let us know what you think.
  • You will notice many UI polish changes. Some screens may even be entirely new (loot screen, I'm looking at you).
  • Most of the icons are now in the game. There are still a few that are missing, but those should be few and far between.
  • Some final VO is in the game. You will also notice sound sets are in and hooked up.
  • Skill system has changed back to a point-buy system.
  • Talents are now organized during level up.
Important Known Issues

• It can be difficult to loot bodies sometimes. It can help to try to loot the bodies toward their feet. One workaround is to do a save/load. The body will turn into a loot bag and you will be able to loot it properly.
  • Saving with a modal active will cause the modal to appear to be non-functioning. If you deactivate and reactivate the modal a couple of times it will start working again.
  • Pressing the "Take All" button in the Loot UI, if a lootable body is underneath the "Take All" button, will cause the cursor to get stuck. This can prevent you from opening doors or interacting with objects. To clear this you can do a few things: mouse over a loot container, loot anything, transition, or save/load.
  • The "proof" mods (e.g. Pierce-proof) are not stacking correctly and will have problems after a save/load. Best to avoid those mods for the time being.
Fixed Issues

If an issue has "Needs Verification" after it. It means a fix has been checked in, but QA hasn't checked it yet. These issues are likely fixed, but a few may fail the verification process.
More information.

They made it!

I guess no DAI for me today.

Any feedback from players ? Does it look more promising ?

Too me it look really promising and closer to a release candidate. Still need polish to pathfinding, balance and of course bug fixing some more.

• UI/FX polish is probably the biggest change in this release and it is a nice one.
  • VO makes a lots of difference to bring this to "release level", although it might be a bit loud.
  • Monk got some love this update and I like it. I actually didn't like the early version of the Monk.
  • Enemies loot drop was fixed (enemies didn't always drop their equipment), this is weird, but it makes this feel more like a IE game.
  • Combat is almost there (mostly balance that need tweaking).

I read some people had FPS drop issues, I haven't seen any personally in this build though.

Too me it look really promising and closer to a release candidate. Still need polish to pathfinding, balance and of course bug fixing some more.

• UI/FX polish is probably the biggest change in this release and it is a nice one.
  • VO makes a lots of difference to bring this to "release level", although it might be a bit loud.
  • Monk got some love this update and I like it. I actually didn't like the early version of the Monk.
  • Enemies loot drop was fixed (enemies didn't always drop their equipment), this is weird, but it makes this feel more like a IE game.
  • Combat is almost there (mostly balance that need tweaking).

I read some people had FPS drop issues, I haven't seen any personally in this build though.

But those are mostly cometic and bug fixes…how does it *feel*? The only things I'm worried about are character building (No bad builds mean no great ones?) and combat (Is it fun or is it like DA…)?

Believe it or not sometimes cosmetic UI change affect feels a lot, especially when it comes to share combat information.

I did put a comment about combat, I said it was almost there. There being IE combat like I played those games. I personally find it fun otherwise I wouldn't be replaying the same 3 hours content over and over again in the beta. We might not have the same taste though...

Also, if you believe that "no bad builds mean no great ones", I don't no what to say. I personally quite happy that I can make a melee and ranged Wizard and that they play totally differently: different spells selection, different talents, different stats allocation and different gears.

I did put a comment about combat, I said it was almost there. There being IE combat like I played those games. I personally find it fun otherwise I wouldn't be replaying the same 3 hours content over and over again in the beta. We might not have the same taste though…

Wait a second, you are saying the combat is not even as good as the IE games, which had the worst combat of any games I've ever played in my life?

I guess I should skip this game. I was under the impression they were trying to make combat more interesting where you actually have to pay attention and participate, and requires constant user input - not click, watch, and wait combat.

Wait a second, you are saying the combat is not even as good as the IE games, which had the worst combat of any games I've ever played in my life?

I guess I should skip this game. I was under the impression they were trying to make combat more interesting where you actually have to pay attention and participate, and requires constant user input - not click, watch, and wait combat.

Combat is faster than in IE games but still very similar. And it has even less moving around due to a mechanic that punishes you severely if you try to move your character once enemy melee is within melee range.

It is probably not for you, it is too complex for your taste.

Too complex? Click and watch is complex? Nice one, cowboy!
Anyone that played BG1 for more then few hours is laughing at you. Anyone that played BG2 is laughing at you times two.

Last edited:

The current combat is not in its final balance and the engagement systems fixes aren't in this build. My comment was more about it not being fully polished. It's quite similar to the IE games though (albeit more punitive with regards to mistakes), so yeah, if you didn't like those games combat you probably won't like PoE.

Anyone that played BG1 for more then few hours is laughing at you. Anyone that BG2 is laughing at you times two.

They're laughing at me when you are saying the IE game's combat was complex? Lol, cowboy!

They're laughing at me when you are saying the IE game's combat was complex? Lol, cowboy!
Keep going. Please. Comedy gold.

It is like if a football jock was trying to explain to me how chess is less complex than his sport.

Anyone who thinks the IE games combat was somehow complex really can't talk about being smart. Click, watch, and wait is not complex. It is the exact opposite of complex. Did you think the combat in Dungeon Siege was complex too? Did you think the combat in the BG console games was also complex, or the remade Bard's Tale?

Do you happen to wear a helmet in real life, or do you enjoy licking windows on the short bus? If so I'll concede the argument to you, my little buddy and special friend. You are right, it is SO complex. Who to click on to initiate combat is real whooper of a complex choice, which can have severe and dire consequences, such as watching and waiting a little longer or a little shorter for combat to end. Nail biting excitement and maybe a little overly complex.

Bubbles, did you play the same game as me? I won't say BG has my gavourite commbat system, but I never felt it was click and watch, especially not the tougher fights in BG2? Care to explain?

Azarhal: Thanks for you answers. What I meant by the "No bad characters builds means no great ones" was that it seems a popular opinion on the PoE forums that the stats have too small effect on gameplay, and you can pretty much get away with anything. I know they were being revised the last time I was active on the forums though. What you write makes me feel hopeful.

Archangel: Why so much acid towards Bubbles, he does have a right to a opinion that differs from yours. ;) I'm more interested in WHY he feels BG combat is boring than insulting him for it...

Azarhal: Thanks for you answers. What I meant by the "No bad characters builds means no great ones" was that it seems a popular opinion on the PoE forums that the stats have too small effect on gameplay, and you can pretty much get away with anything. I know they were being revised the last time I was active on the forums though. What you write makes me feel hopeful.

They increased some of the stats impact last build, people are saying it's better, I personally never cared.

Bubbles, did you play the same game as me? I won't say BG has my gavourite commbat system, but I never felt it was click and watch, especially not the tougher fights in BG2? Care to explain?

Archangel: Why so much acid towards Bubbles, he does have a right to a opinion that differs from yours. ;) I'm more interested in WHY he feels BG combat is boring than insulting him for it…

Because we already had this talk on another topic and he gave 0 arguments and would not even tell us how much he played. So if he is trolling us I am trolling him back.

Back
Top Bottom