Pillars of Eternity - March Release Date (Official!)

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Whoa. That was fast. According to the recent Kickstarter update, the official release date of Pillars of Eternity will be March 26th, 2015. The update also contains information on how to redeem orders as a backer and on the finalization/polishing process for Pillars of Eternity.

So there you have it. Just over two months to go!

More information.

There's a pre-order of a "royal edition" up at GOG, but sheeeeeesh… It's showing up as €82.99 for me.
That's a little steep in my book!

EDIT: Ah, I see their own website has other editions listed, that are more reasonably priced.

Yes, $90 price tag for a pre-release looks pretty steep, even with all the add-ons. But I'm pleased they have a release date now.

Note that the game will essentially be released a year late; the initial goal was for an 18 month development/release system. Not that I mind.

Last edited:
Judging from the current state of beta they are in for a rocky launch.

I've also access to the beta.... and I agree it isn't going to be pretty. To say I'm hugely disappointed with the game would be an understatement. It's not just the bugs, core mechanics are badly designed to the point that the game is seriously unfun. It needs major work IMO.

Yes, but the guys on this team are known for buggy, late, and unfinished work. It is their Modus Operandi and has been a long time. I still enjoy their games quite a bit in spite of this. I do regret backing them, as I spent too much for what we're getting.

I'm sure they're out of money, so they have to release in hopes of staying in business. They'll spin it differently, of course. It'll be interesting to see who they blame if this turns out as badly as the demo makes it look like it will :)

Can't wait to play this as the negative impression I had from the first beta build was a long time ago and they took their time polishing gameplay & mechanics. Note that 'can't wait to play' probably translates into 'until after the first post-release patch'. ;)

Yes, but the guys on this team are known for buggy, late, and unfinished work. It is their Modus Operandi and has been a long time. I still enjoy their games quite a bit in spite of this. I do regret backing them, as I spent too much for what we're getting.

I'm sure they're out of money, so they have to release in hopes of staying in business. They'll spin it differently, of course. It'll be interesting to see who they blame if this turns out as badly as the demo makes it look like it will :)

This is worrisome. I haven't really been paying attention to PoE lately - I've been looking forward to it and didn't want to know too much in advance. But this would be a huge bummer if the game turned out to be a clunker. I hope they get it together before release (or the weeks after, as is often the case).

I have so much in my Steam library that I can wait this one out until the bugs are (hopefully) ironed out. Still, very much a letdown to hear that its buggy and not very fun at the moment. :(

You guys are so negative. I'm just happy that I backed this :)

I have not played beta or even followed the development progress that much. I'm just going to launch the game and play it with open mind. I doubt the bugs are going to be that serious and if they are, i'm just going to put the game aside for few months and come back when its properly patched. :)

The demo? There's nothing about a demo on Steam?

P.S. Stick of Truth came out pretty solid.

Wow, finally!!! I agree with most of people and think I will be disappointed but that will not change the fact this will be first game I will be buying in 2015 :)

Yep, I'll buy it too. Even though in the end I'm always a little disappointed in Obsidian titles, it is because my expectations are high. If they could ever add polish to their games, they'd be amazing. As it is, they're buggy but still fun. I'm a backer too Dez and the game was a mess. They've fixed some things but you're going to find a ToEE experience with PoE :)

I called them Bugsidian on their forum and lead producer got angry at me :D

As it is, they're buggy but still fun. I'm a backer too Dez and the game was a mess. They've fixed some things but you're going to find a ToEE experience with PoE :)

I always thought that the ToEE engine was very good. The bugs were pretty bad at launch, but the biggest prolem for me was that the content got samey and boring.

PoE might well be a bug-fest, but if the fundamental quality of the engine is as good as ToEE, and the content matches Obsidian's better work, then I will still be very pleased. Don't mind waiting for a couple of patches.

Yep, I'll buy it too. Even though in the end I'm always a little disappointed in Obsidian titles, it is because my expectations are high. If they could ever add polish to their games, they'd be amazing.

I think the NWN2 expansions prove you wrong :p Even though the game still had some annoying quirks related to the ruleset.

I don't mind bugs* upon release, as long as the core mechanics are solid.

* yes i know I actually should mind that, but the sad truth it is the norm these days

They have about 2 months to fix the bugs, that's plenty of time... I personally expected the game released earlier than that (and I've played each beta backer released for a few hours each).

So do they still have a single attribute (Might) determining both physical and magical attack damage? Maybe I'm too set in my ways (being brainwashed by D&D and other traditional RPG systems I guess), but the Might stat as implemented in PoE just irks me on a primal level.

I always thought that the ToEE engine was very good. The bugs were pretty bad at launch, but the biggest prolem for me was that the content got samey and boring.

PoE might well be a bug-fest, but if the fundamental quality of the engine is as good as ToEE, and the content matches Obsidian's better work, then I will still be very pleased. Don't mind waiting for a couple of patches.

my problem with ToEE was basically that they chose the wrong 'module' to implement for their first game with the engine. With so many great modules out there for D&D, they chose the one with less story. It was basically a "you're in this town, there is a rumor that there is a cave somewhere the the north, what do you want to do?". Even when I played it in tabletop D&D, I remember my character was like "why are we going there?".

Back
Top Bottom