Guild Wars 2 - Why It's Time for a Expansion

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Jeff Francis of MMO-Play posted another editorial this week this time he shared his opinion on why it's time Guild Wars 2 to get an expansion instead of small updates.

ArenaNet has definitely taken a different course in the world of mmorpg games. When their original Guild Wars game was released, one feature was their PvP whilst the other was a buy-to-play revenue model that had no monthly subscription. It was this lack of subscription that really surprised the online gaming world as that conventional wisdom at the time thought that such an approach was doomed to fail.

However, such was not the case as Guild Wars was a profitable game that carved out a successful niche. One method that the game used to generate future sales was the release of expansions that players had to purchase. Fast forward to the present day where the thought of a full expansion for Guild Wars 2 is being discussed heavily in various forums. There are a number of compelling reasons why ArenaNet could go this route, and we'll examine them as we discuss why it's time for a Guild Wars 2 expansion.
More information.

If the expansion were to reintroduce GW1's secondary profession system and overhaul other mechanics of the game, I'd be all for it. I haven't even bothered logging in for the recent world events because, at its core, GW2 is an incredibly shallow and simplistic game that isn't ameliorated by the addition of content.

...I'm dying for an MMO with some meat on the bone.

I'm not sure if GW2 needs an expansion, but it does need new classes and/or abilities to refresh the gameplay a bit. I'm so tired of my Engineer being stuck to flamethrower, rifle and pistols (lets not talk about the shield).

It's much more profitable to make useless pay to win content or cosmetic upgrades than to make a full fledged expansion that will take a full team two years to develop and which will need to be maintained and supported for years to come.

It's much more profitable to make useless pay to win content or cosmetic upgrades than to make a full fledged expansion that will take a full team two years to develop and which will need to be maintained and supported for years to come.

What are you talking about? All their content updates have been free, provided you log in for them. And you can buy any cosmetic on the store with enough ingame currency.

The game's f2p model is a breath of fresh air - the depth of (or lack thereof) their game mechanics is what needs work.

What are you talking about? All their content updates have been free, provided you log in for them. And you can buy any cosmetic on the store with enough ingame currency.

The game's f2p model is a breath of fresh air - the depth of (or lack thereof) their game mechanics is what needs work.

actually it's not f2p, I think the way they work is called 'buy to play'? though that's not really accurate. Guess it's more like b2f2p.

actually it's not f2p, I think the way they work is called 'buy to play'? though that's not really accurate. Guess it's more like b2f2p.

It's just B2P and so far all content have been free (unless you fail login in a 2 week time span).

For those interested, its going on sale for $10 this weekend so the buy price is pretty low. I never really got into it myself but have some friends and old guildies who love it and are pining for a real expansion.

For those interested, its going on sale for $10 this weekend so the buy price is pretty low. I never really got into it myself but have some friends and old guildies who love it and are pining for a real expansion.

I bought it at release and had fun with it for a couple of months. My problem was that after a few levels I didn't feel like there was any character progression. You learn your abilities during the first X levels, and that time is fun as you get to play with new abilities. But about halfway through the levels you already know all your abilities and they just do more damage/protect more/heal for more as you level up. Boring. I created like a character of each class and took them to mid-level. Never felt like continuing.

I bought it at release and had fun with it for a couple of months. My problem was that after a few levels I didn't feel like there was any character progression. You learn your abilities during the first X levels, and that time is fun as you get to play with new abilities. But about halfway through the levels you already know all your abilities and they just do more damage/protect more/heal for more as you level up. Boring. I created like a character of each class and took them to mid-level. Never felt like continuing.

They changed the progression last year, especially when it comes to gaining traits, you have to hunt some down now (aka you gain them by doing some challenge).

Even weapon ability unlock are now level based, instead of unlocking on usage.

Of all the MMOs with massive potential, I'd say Guild Wars 2 is one of the weakest - and the one game with almost nothing to show for all the time they've had to create updates and new content.

I'm sure the gem shop is a financial success - but the game remains as pointless and shallow as it always was, and I struggle to "get" why people still play it.

But, I'm still very curious about an expansion. I hope they've learned something from what has happened to the game over the last couple of years.

After Today's announcement (Heart of Thorn being an expansion), I wonder if the guy who wrote that article is happy or sad.

Still, they haven't revealed much beyond a trailer… if it's simply a batch of new content without any overhaul to class mechanics, I won't be bothering.

One new class: The Revenant (looks quite Ritualist like).
Specializations for all classes.
Mastery System for character at level 80 (gain mastery points by doing challenges and map completion in the new areas to spend on class features, might be limited to the new areas though, that one is unclear).

Wish they'd implement the Paragon class; it was so amazing in groups. But, then again, the content is already fairly easy, so a Paragon's buffs would arguably be pointless. I guess there's the Guardian which is sorta kinda similar... but not really.

Back
Top Bottom