Icewind Dale: EE - Review @ Cheatmasters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Cheatmasters has another review this week this time for the Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, and they give the game a final score of 8.5/10. Not bad here is why.

Coming up with all of those details here, it’s safe to say that the game has been faithful enough since it hasn’t been watered down for the most part (except for Story Mode difficulty). As for how its gameplay comes off in this day and age, it’s part history lesson, part test, and part potential epiphany. This is where most of the role-playing games we’ve seen in recent years have come from, especially those from Bioware. From the combat with tactical pausing to the dialogue system used for talking with NPCs, this game shows where it all came from.
More information.

Ah, the beauty of the Infinity Engine RPGs. Baldur's Gate was such an amazing game, and not only a history lesson, or test, as it were, but an actual riveting, endlessly interesting game, even played today.

I never had the chance to play these games "back in the day", as I grew up a console gamer as many of you know. So, I'm very thankful for Beamdog and how they create these Enhanced Editions in order to add a few modern conveniences to the game, yet still keep essentially everything from the original games in tact.

That said, even if there wasn't an EE for these games, I would still be playing them. You just don't find these types of complex rulesets in modern games much. With the advancement of the idea of streamlining everything, you lose a lot of the complexity of old rules like those used in the Infinity Engine games.

Long live these amazing games and long live D&D, man. :)

Back
Top Bottom