Starpoint Gemini 2 - Postmortem @ Gamasutra

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mario Mihokovic the CEO of Little Green Men Games posted a new Postmortem article on Gamasutra about his studios latest game called Starpoint Gemini 2 .

To be completely honest, our past six years of making games are the best years of my life. I have never done something so creative and something so liberating. Along the way we came in contact with such awesome people that share the same passion. It really changed our perspective on the gaming world, and gamers themselves.

On a business side of the job, it is far harder than we anticipated. Criteria for today's industry is incredibly high, competition is intense, and the required funds for development are very high. But we are still learning, and if Starpoint Gemini 1 achieved 40% of our original goal, then Starpoint Gemini 2 took it to about 70%, and we're still on it improving it daily.

My dream, our dream, is to fight for a chance to make one title in such a way that no compromise is neccessary. Just one chance to make 100% of the vision we have in our heads. Today, after years of intense cooperation with tens of thousands of players, that vision is pretty much in line with that of many space game players. Our next task is to improve the current game, and make it so good that it becomes our ticket to embark on that next mission. SPG1 was exploring what Earth has to offer. SPG2 took us to visit the planets of solar system. Now it is time to look at the stars once again and travel to, as captain J. T. Kirk once said: "third star to the left..."
More information.

This was a very good article. A recommended read for anyone that in even remotely interested in game development.

Cool game to btw.

this is a game that is supposed to be the closest heir for microsoft's freelancer.

can anyone concur on this?

It's similar to Freelancer.
You get new main quests according to your character level.
Side quests are generated and somewhat repetitive without many surprises.

If you level too fast and don't earn enough money to equip and enhance your ship the game will become unbalanced and you'll die a lot.

So take your time and explore the huge star map.
Some people criticize the quality of the voice overs, but they are good enough for me.

Good video review

Good article.

You get new main quests according to your character level.
Side quests are generated and somewhat repetitive without many surprises.

Thats important thing I dont like in these space sims. There is too much generic content, simple repetitive missions, always the same in all sims… unless you get some main quest. Do you know some game which has better quest quality and structure, interesting stories you can uncover while exploring space? Something more like Star Control, probably.

Independence War 2 is a great game. Good story, I think. (It has been a while, and my opinion can change on this point in paeticular.) Great open world. Drop the story anytime and simply pirate and craft in your secret pirate base. Your little crew of pirates talks to you a bit, so space doesn't seem so empty. They did the little things right, in my view, such as having Jax (I think his name is) fly in in his cargo ship to pick up the pirated cargo you've marked for him. Little things like that to remove some of the drudgery space sims can fall victim to, such as Elite: Dangerous (though E: Dangerous is a great game in its own right for its own reasons. I'm playing the hell out of this one currently.) As HiddenX said, IW2 is, and remains, fun throughout; its firing on all cylinders all the time. Making me want to go back and play my GOG copy again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom