New Mass Effect - Leaked Information

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gameranx has posted information they claim is leaked about the new Mass Effect.

A video published by Youtuber MathChief aggregates some very interesting data from around the web. He's got multiple Bioware developers going on record about Mass Effect 4. One piece of information reveals that there were only fifty developers working on Mass Effect 4 before Dragon Age: Inquisition released, but now that number has quadrupled. With so many talented people working on what is assuredly a massive budget, we only expect great things from Mass Effect's fourth iteration.
Just hurry and officially announce the game already Bioware.

More information.

How to make my day/month/year:

1. Announce Mass Effect 4 officially

and

2. Announce Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster with all DLC + some extras.

*cue joxer with his Bioware Points and Mass Effect DLC rant*:D
What makes it even more funny is Joxer still buys the DLC.:biggrin:

I also found some posts from Aaryn Flynn the GM of Bioware on NeoGAF.

Link -http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=149962268#post149962268
I've seen a few thoughts like this recently, and thought I'd weigh in as much as I can right now. I have a good idea where it's coming from. All of our games are using Frostbite now. We've said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won't expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from DAI. We've been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that'll be there as well.

But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what DAI would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we've already shown in prototype form. We had that in ME1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfill the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with DAI. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.

We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a "template" for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with because "well that was successful".

Ever since DA2 I´ve felt like it´s the Dragon Age series which drew (at least seemingly) from Mass Effects, rarely the other way around.

Examples from DA:I include main quest missions playing out similarly to those from ME2/3, power resembling war assets, Winter Palace mission resembling stuff in Kasumi and Citadel DLCs, "non-cinematic" quest acquisitions from NPCs quite á la ME3, or generally more action-y feel of the combat.
Even the exploration feels functionally and in terms of content distribution closer to ME1´s planets than to DA:O´s zones (likely incidentally, somehow DA:I managed to come with the same set of biggest flaws, in my book - besides abundant but shallow and repetitive exploration it also features action/RPG hybrid combat that fails being engaging largely due to lack of commitment to either side, and then there´s the inventory UI :)).

Anyway, Frostbite + nextgen-only seems like a great opportunity to put ME1´s general sense of exploration back into the series, but they need to avoid ME1´s (and DA:I´s) specific sense of repetitiveness and uneventfulness for me to consider it a worthwhile "return to the roots".
They already have Mako which should allow them to strike a good balance between scope and travel times (though personally I´d prefer an improved version of ME2´s Hammerhead), but I really hope they´ll be wary of sacrificing quality for the sake of quantity, particularly when it comes to quest design.
So far so good though - it´s good to see the filler related concerns being acknowledged at least.

I missed where this was addressed/acknowledged— where did you hear that?
See post #4 in this thread.
To me it seems very likely that what prompted Flynn´s post were concerns about MENext possibly adopting DA:I´s approach to sidequesting/open world, expressed within the source thread. Otherwise he probably wouldn´t have bothered.

Indeed!

That being said, Joxer may be a bit too crusadey against certain things (DLC and respawns), but he's still able to look past it and enjoy a game for what it is. He's actually surprisingly open minded when it comes to enjoying games.

*cue joxer with his Bioware Points and Mass Effect DLC rant*

:D
Bought. Not buys. And even then, bought only missions DLC. OP items and dressup Barbie DLC didn't buy then, wouldn't buy ever.

You're deliberately skipping to mention it was ME DLC that tought me another lesson - not to buy DLC that isn't day1 or separate any more.

In any case last year I bought two games from EA. Sims 4 and Dragon Age 3.
Neither is deluxe edition (means, I don't have horse armor in any of them), I didn't buy $20 Sims4 DLC that was released a few weeks ago nor will. And I will not buy DA3 DLC if it changes the main game.
That being said, Joxer may be a bit too crusadey against certain things (DLC and respawns), but he's still able to look past it and enjoy a game for what it is. He's actually surprisingly open minded when it comes to enjoying games.
It's just that I believe neverending respawns (in singleplayer games!) were a must due to poor hardware capabilities in the past, and should be left rotting in that same past. You couldn't put a mass of different content on C64 and ZX spectrum so you had to have repetitive stuff. And it's okay. But today, with huge HDDs… Cmon.
I don't escape a game that has endless respawns, in some games those are reduced to a minimum or are avoidable so those who love grinding can go for their fix and those who don't can easily ignore it. But in some games those are so extreme it's not fun at all.

The problem I have with DLC… *sigh*
Man, I can't really write it again.
I can say one thing again though. Since we're about Mass Effect.
EA (Bioware) could have packed all ME2 and ME3 DLC with slight story chages into one game that'd take place between ME2 and ME3. And they didn't do that because they're too greedy. Instead, they're charging too much cash for those DLC - buying all ME2/3 DLC is more expensive then paying a full price for newly released AAA title.

I'm generally not opposed to DLCs, such as the stuff for Skyrim, as long as it gets bundled into a "complete edition" at some point. The Mass Effect 2-3 scheme is crazy though - full price even now, years after release. It's absurd, especially since some of the story related content is pretty much mandatory (for example Arrival and Leviathan).

Back
Top Bottom