Underworld Ascendant - Update #13 & #14

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment released two more kickstarter updates this week for Underworld Ascendant. The game still isn't funded, and has only made $472,668 of the games $600,000 goal.

The OtherSide Entertainment team describes player authored experiences and the vision for the Underworld Ascendant improvisation engine.
The kickstarter campaign still has 15 days left to get funded.

More information.

This looks amazing. The ideas are very inspiring. Hope they deliver.

It's probably way more scripted and limited than they're trying to hype it as, it makes me think of Oblivion demonstration videos with Todd Howard.

Meh, its good to dream though right. Anyway Oblivion was scripted because they took out the ai they were creating citing the fact that npcs were stealing important stuff.

I thought they took out Radiant ai?

I see. Thanks for the correction.

Sounds interesting enough. I want to see more game-play footage and also see the character development aspects soon.

Now excuse me, I have to go get someone a hamburger to get a quest item. :D

Sounds like a nice idea but I also don't think that the full implementation of such a system is realistic. Just because certein outcomes have to be made sure and constructed in a way that you cannot go stuck. In the end you will always have a couple of options, just like in Deus Ex.
I think the only thing they might be able to avoid is to make it obvious which three paths they had in mind each time (like "oh there is another trap I can make ready to finish the next encounters"). I think everything else is eyewash. There is only so much you can do.
I didn't think of Oblivion when I heard this but of Guild Wars 2, where they announced to implement a completely dynamic system where the zone remembers what players did there. If you don't kill enough ogres, they attack the city and so on. In the end it was just a zone with 3 states or so...just cycling through them, completely boring. But on the other hand, the concept they announced wasn't realistic in the first place for a theme park mmo.

And pretty much like that, I think at the same time their system really works like they promised, you are able to get stuck in several parts of the game, making it unbeatable because as example you killed the one NPC you shouldn't (ie. the one repairing a bridge you burnt). You will never be able to emulate a living Person who is controlling stuff and making stuff up. The only exception is pure sandbox Gameplay (Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Eve Online), but these games don't have a level design or a "fixed" story to tell.

I delved pretty deeply into Radiant AI when I was trying to mod Oblivion and I must say that the videos they showed was heavily scripted and that the "toned down because AI was doing wonky things" is largely PR BS. The AI could never do what they showed it could do. There was no hint of it in the construction set unlike the other things they took out, the remnants of which modders can see and often try to restore. Even the spectacular dialogue in the promo videos was nowhere in the game but was likely recorded for promo purposes only.

OT, I like what I see here enough to follow its progress. Seems too ambitious for the resources they appear to have and the OB example I mentioned above makes me very wary of almost too good to be true type videos.

It's probably way more scripted and limited than they're trying to hype it as, it makes me think of Oblivion demonstration videos with Todd Howard.

Agreed. While I still hope that it becomes a great game, I really hope that they don't hype such things too much and create a huge load of disapointment...

OT, I like what I see here enough to follow its progress. Seems too ambitious for the resources they appear to have and the OB example I mentioned above makes me very wary of almost too good to be true type videos.
This is the reason why I didn't back it. For the money they asked they are promising too much and I fear even if they add this reactivity and it is truly good, graphics/animations or combat/character system will suffer.
I would rather wait too see how it does and then buy it on a steam sale 6 months later when it is all patched and finished and people said it is actually good.

This is the reason why I didn't back it. For the money they asked they are promising too much and I fear even if they add this reactivity and it is truly good, graphics/animations or combat/character system will suffer.
I would rather wait too see how it does and then buy it on a steam sale 6 months later when it is all patched and finished and people said it is actually good.

Good way to show your support...make sure you get it at 75% off that way they really get a lot from you.

I prefer to look at what they are doing as looking at alternative ways to complete something instead of one way like a lot of games do. What it comes down to after that is creating a way to complete it in various modes....will they be able to do it? They were back with ultima underworld 1 and 2 and they were breaking new ground back then.

I understand your concern but its (un)wishfull thinking to say that they will put too much effort into reactivity while neglecting combat/character system. In fact they hinted the opposite saying they want "something new" with character system (while using things from UU). So I would be more afraid about some "exaggerate" innovation. If they want some reactivity there its good that they design it right now from the start. Now they still can try things which will or wont work.

And combat system will be probably close to original UU. I would assume some diversity regarding different types of weapons (difference between sword and mace etc.).

Kordanor said:
Sounds like a nice idea but I also don't think that the full implementation of such a system is realistic.

What do you mean by "full implementation"? Of course there will be limitations. Sets of behaviour of NPCs will be always limited and number of solutions too. You can ask yourself how many solutions "destroyed bridge problem" can have in Underworld settings. I also doubt that important NPCs will be killable and will travel around the world. It would be very bad approach that would cause big problems to the game and have almost zero benefits - player can hardly see or notice that some NPC travel big distances and if he does, its usually in annoying situations like when player needs to find such NPC.

Regarding the videos I think they will play with several obvious approaches:
- hire NPC to do something for a quest or money or good reputation (several immortal NPCs for crucial things)
- usefull NPC behaviour - for example if you destroy important bridge and cut the village from outside world the people should repair it for their own good
- charm monsters or people (different effects on different beings, can be limited)
- levitate, big jump (limited usage or spell time)
- swimming (limited by design of rivers and lakes)
- simulation of water streams - they already said you could make dams from boulders so it could be tricky… but you cant create perfect dams from crude boulders so they can limit the effect
- special spells (melt the ice, walking on lava etc.)
- using special objects in game world (not many objects like this)
- using special items on objects in game world (how many such items? how many reactive objects? Again it will be limited but even in "limited state" it should allow more solutions and more diversity than most other RPGs)

In our possible future interview I asked about that (using hammer and chisel) so we should see the answer.

I never played any ultima games so I don't have any nostalgia and need to support them except being sure I would give money for a truly good game. And this KS has not proved that to me. Since the game will sell for more money on Steam, at 50% off it will probably cost as much as the lowest KS pledge (which I would have used).

I never played any ultima games so I don't have any nostalgia and need to support them except being sure I would give money for a truly good game. And this KS has not proved that to me. Since the game will sell for more money on Steam, at 50% off it will probably cost as much as the lowest KS pledge (which I would have used).

I guess this begs the question why haven't you?

If you get the chance try ultima 7 with exult....very cool game even today.

Because my first computer RPG steps were Diablo 1 and BG1.

Well, get ultima 7 and give it a whirl...geeze dude, it's like one of the best rpg's of all time.

Back
Top Bottom