Pillars of Eternity - Raedric's Hold Screenshots

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mikey Dowling of Obsidian posted three new screenshots on the games forum.

Today we have some information and screen shots on Raedric's Hold for you all!

The Raedric line has held dominion over the lands surrounding Gilded Vale for generations, and its formidable keep stands as a bulwark against the dangers of the Dyrwood. Despite their lofty position as Aedyran nobility, the Raedrics joined in the fighting for independence from the Empire during the War of Defiance. In the wake of the Dyrwood's victory, they retained both their stronghold and their stature. Raedric VII now carries the title of Thayn, pledged to Gilded Vale's defense against all threats - both physical and spiritual in nature. Raedric's iron-fisted rule has seen his people through many hardships, but in the aftermath of the Saint's War, new threats have arisen - threats Raedric has sworn to scour from his lands and reclaim some of Gilded Vale's past glory. At his invitation, new settlers have braved long distances to settle within Gilded Vale, tempted by the offer of land and opportunity.
More information.

The scenic views are breathtaking as ever. But I'm a little worry about the art quality of characters. The character animations look very wooden in comparison to sister projects like Tides of Numenera.

And please somebody don't tell me the graphics don't matter. We all know the one of the reasons we are excited about these contemporary classical RPG is the modern graphical fidelity.

The scenic views are breathtaking as ever. But I'm a little worry about the art quality of characters. The character animations look very wooden in comparison to sister projects like Tides of Numenera.

And please somebody don't tell me the graphics don't matter. We all know the one of the reasons we are excited about these contemporary classical RPG is the modern graphical fidelity.

Not really. Several people on this board genuinely don't seem to care about modern graphics. I had a hard time believing it myself, but I'm now convinced.

As for the animations, they're fine - in my opinion. Up close, when creating your character, the models are typical Obsidian-level assets (plain and awkward) - but during combat it's a vast improvement on Baldur's Gate. Also, I think the backgrounds are very nice and detailed - which I didn't expect from these guys. So, that's a nice surprise.

Unfortunately, the combat is chaotic and requires constant pausing.

Not really. Several people on this board genuinely don't seem to care about modern graphics. I had a hard time believing it myself, but I'm now convinced.

As for the animations, they're fine. Up close, when creating your character, the models are typical Obsidian-level assets (plain and awkward) - but during combat it's a vast improvement on Baldur's Gate.

Unfortunately, the combat is chaotic and requires constant pausing.

I do believe such people exist, and there's nothing wrong with genuinely not caring about superficiality. But I for one, and I'm sure the majority of even the most hardcore niche of CRPG would appreciate what modern technology can bring to a new iteration (or spiritual successor) of the classics. Nobody could deny the achievement of the breathtaking visuals and object-oriented engine of D:OS when they see it :biggrin:

Also I saw the preview videos, the character models themselves looked vivid enough, and the variety is there. But it's the animations especially the idle and combat ready stances i feel a little bit subpar.

As for the chaotic combat, I believe it has more to do with the pacing, perhaps by design intentionally? Might turn out to be fine in the end. I mean, requiring pausing is of course OK, as long as it doesn't cross into the territory of Starcraft's level of micro-managing hell of cyber-babysitting all my team members (that game is RTS so doesn't even have pausing =D, too frantic).

I do believe such people exist, and there's nothing wrong with genuinely not caring about superficiality. But I for one, and I'm sure the majority of even the most hardcore niche of CRPG would appreciate what modern technology can bring to a new iteration (or spiritual successor) of the classics. Nobody could deny the achievement of the breathtaking visuals and object-oriented engine of D:OS when they see it :biggrin:

I don't think of what meets the eye as more superficial than what meets the ear, or what meets the heart. It's all part of creating an experience, and we all need different things to make a deeper connection.

Let's say you were making love to a wonderful woman - but her body was covered in old cheese. That would be a major turn-off, right? Which would make you superficial - as it's just a smell.

Not really :)

As for appreciating moderns strengths in old designs, I agree with you.

As for the chaotic combat, I believe it has more to do with the pacing, perhaps by design intentionally? Might turn out to be fine in the end. I mean, requiring pausing is of course OK, as long as it doesn't cross into the territory of Starcraft's level of micro-managing hell of cyber-babysitting all my team members (that game is RTS so doesn't even have pausing =D, too frantic).

Well, I've played it enough to know that I think it's pretty bad. It doesn't mean I can't adjust, though.

Also, I know a lot of people who like RTwP actually prefer to pause constantly, and they don't mind that level of excessive micromanagment. For those people, it's probably not a problem at all.

Let's say you were making love to a wonderful woman - but her body was covered in old cheese. That would be a major turn-off, right? Which would make you superficial - as it's just a smell.

Not really :)
As long as it's Swiss cheese (it will have to be, know what you mean;)) I wouldn't mind.

Well, I've played it enough to know that I think it's pretty bad. It doesn't mean I can't adjust, though.
Dayuuuum, lucky you! Backer early access, I presume? Somehow I passed on that one and planked down money for DOS and Torment. Well if you say so, it makes me more concerned about whether or not the final product can reach the star, and maybe I was right not to pre-order it on Steam. Obsidian typically delivers, well except for Dungeon Siege 3. But for Project Eternity there was just too much hype.

Also, I know a lot of people who like RTwP actually prefer to pause constantly, and they don't mind that level of excessive micromanagment. For those people, it's probably not a problem at all.
It's hard to balance for RTwP I guess. Would be great if it turned out to be like Dragon Age: Origins, you know with the plenty of meaningful (not like DA:I's) tactical options to assist AI, and you only pause to manage the footwork and positioning. And of course how to deal with particularly tough baddies.

Dayuuuum, lucky you! Backer early access, I presume? Somehow I passed on that one and planked down money for DOS and Torment. Well if you say so, it makes me more concerned about whether or not the final product can reach the star, and maybe I was right not to pre-order it on Steam. Obsidian typically delivers, well except for Dungeon Siege 3. But for Project Eternity there was just too much hype.

It's the latest version, yes, but I'm not a backer - so it's not legit. I'm just that kind of horrid person, I'm afraid. I've got it pre-ordered, though, but I was curious about it. It's a curse :)

It's hard to balance for RTwP I guess. Would be great if it turned out to be like Dragon Age: Origins, you know with the plenty of meaningful (not like DA:I's) tactical options to assist AI, and you only pause to manage the footwork and positioning. And of course how to deal with particularly tough baddies.

No such options :(

RTwP CAN work, but in my opinion - PoE would have been much, much better as turn-based. Also, it's much easier for developers to make it work and perform well.

But they needed RTwP for fan-service reasons and they apparently didn't think custom scripts was an important part of the IE games. I can't say I agree.

The chaos is somewhat intentional from Josh's comment I've seen and how much you pause really depends on how you are playing from where I'm standing. I'm not pausing more than I do in any RTWP games I play(ed) personally and I don't even use the slow mode in PoE. I also never used scripts in the IE games, I tried it once and it made the game play itself which I found boring.

By all reports, PoE needs much more pausing than any IE and NWN game so far.
I don't think anyone really enjoys it and it is one of the most bashed parts of the game.

Some people get used to it more than others but I have not seen anyone go batshit happy about it.

It looks like another disaster building up.

These days, customers prefer easy of access products. That is one cause "ugoigo" products are popular: ease of access.

The kind of PoE require two things:

-fluidity in the thought process, which relies on the familiarity with the game mechanics, ending in the ability to plan courses of action as it goes

-the motor skills to enable the execution of the course of actions. Depends on learning the interface etc

Usually, in these products, pausing should only happen to re assess the situation and change plans. It is an emergency system, not a measure to emulate the "ugoigo" sequence.
Most of the play must happen without pausing.
Any other signal a lack in one of the previous requirements or both.

When trying this beta, both requirements were low: it did not go out of the usual patterns and the required familiarity was shallow.
As to the motor skills, low too as not knowing the interface did not prevent from playing mostly without pausing.

These guys are trying to take an old path without ever considering that players no longer bear certain demands.
Customers want easy of access products. The product requires a bit of training to be efficient? Customers will lobby until that requirement is dismissed.
That is the way today.
Players wont spend time on learning how to play the game properly. Players cant be at fault.

Starcraft 2 was mentioned while the requirements to play SC2 and to try PoE are extremelly distant. PoE requirements are nothing near SC2 demand to be played comfortably.

PoE requirements are not high, they are low, but still higher than your classical "ugoigo" product that is on the bottom of the requirements scale. Cant hardly go below "ugoigo" requirements.

You're such a party pooper, ChienAboyeur. I do wonder sometimes if there are any games you just simply enjoy, without over-analysing whether or not the developers strayed from their own design or whatnot. :p

You're such a party pooper, ChienAboyeur. I do wonder sometimes if there are any games you just simply enjoy, without over-analysing whether or not the developers strayed from their own design or whatnot. :p

Hehe, he's got some interesting thoughts, but he's excessively bad at articulating them.

In this case, I think he has a point, in that a lot of people won't easily fall in love with the combat - but I don't agree the requirements are "low". In terms of handholding and micromanaging your party to success on Normal and harder difficulties, the requirements are quite high.

However, what he's missing is that the game wasn't made or even marketed for the mainstream audience. It's essentially a fan-service product aimed directly at IE fans, and most of those are likely to give it a pass for being clunky and unwieldy during battle.

In fact, I bet the nostalgia factor is high enough for many to claim there's no real issue at all.

Obviously, it's high-profile enough to reach the mainstream - but I doubt it needs to be a big hit there to constitute a success.

Over analysing?

If that was the case, that would be so easy.
Not the case though, the analysis is quickly done as it is what it is given to sight at first glance. So it is not even an analysis. Mere observations.
Like going to a restaurant and observing that the meal comes cold when it is supposed to be served warm.
At this point, it is plain enough: people who expected a warm meal cant fail to notice it is cold. While people who wanted their meal cold are satisfied because they live to eat that meal cold.
If that is overanalysing, then it might be safer to forget about crossing a street because it also requires the same basic observations and pushing back those basic observations as over analyzing might be the path to a hospital bed.

Very few hours were given to try PoE. It quickly appeared as a product that is low on the demands usually associated with this kind of product.

Very few hours were given to try PoE. It quickly appeared as a product that is low on the demands usually associated with this kind of product.

Very few hours?

I think he means he spent very few hours with the game, in order to reach his "observations".

Look, I honestly didn't bother reading your wall of text, Chien. You always seem to take your own POV for some global truth. Your…
demands usually associated with this kind of product
should obviously be everyone else's also. It's either that, or you just fail to express yourself horribly, as DArtagnan already implied.

I think he means he spent very few hours with the game, in order to reach his "observations".

That kind of make sense, I guess. I was confuse because the sentence made it sound like a very few hours were put into the game by all the BBs and that made no sense.

Yeah, I can't read Chien's stuff. It gives me a headache trying to figure out what he is saying. It's like he learned English from a poorly written book.

Back
Top Bottom