Lords of the Fallen 2 - CI Games Cancels Contract with Deck 13

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Eurogamer.de informs that the Polish publisher and developer CI Games terminated their contract with German developer Deck 13. Part of this contract from late 2011 was creating Lords of the Fallen.

The official reason is "inadequate execution" of the contract. Take this with a grain of salt because it has been translated two times.

Lords of the Fallen 2 will now be developed internally with the help of external partners. Planned release is in 2017. For 2015 CI Games is working on a F2P Lords of the Fallen on mobile devices.

The original Polish source can be found here.

More information.

I'm Polish; I'd say "inadequate execution" is a correct translation.

A little bit of good and bad news. To bad the article isn't in English.:)

What's good in this?

A new developer gets to try their hand, and hopefully make a better game. Seems Deck 13 has nothing but bad luck with publishers. They should try using kickstarter next.

As far as quality goes, this was probably the best game CI ever published. By far.

Yeah I know but I only played three of their games, and one was a bad budget RPG called Blood Knights. Anyway I'm not surprised as this stuff happens all the time.

It just seems weird after the publisher talked about how Lords of the Fallen was successful last week. I'm sure we will never know the real reason because of NDA's.

Yes, we'll never find out the truth.

Bloodknights was cursed. With hindsight it should have been canceled right away when dtp got into financial trouble.

I hope that Deck 13 can make it on their own, as they seem to have good potential from Lords of the Fallen and Venetica.

CI did a lot for them to market Lords of the Fallen (particularly Tomasz Gop).

As someone who really enjoyed lords of the fallen but realize it had significant technical issues at launch I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Hopefully they just expand on the first game and don't take everything in a different direction.

Perhaps deck 13 could make Venetica 2? One can hope…I would certainly enjoy another RPG in that spirit from Deck 13 over another Souls clone.

Last edited:
Perhaps deck 13 could make Venetica 2? One can hope…I would certainly enjoy another RPG in that spirit over another Souls clone.

Yes, there's already 1 souls clone for PC. we don't want the market to get too saturated.;)

I meant specifically from Deck 13 ;) edited above to reflect that

I seriously doubt CI can do better than Deck13, my interest in Lords of the Fallen 2 has lowered significantly.

I really hoped that after the difficult development process and the lessons they learned from it coupled with the feedback the first game received will lead to a much better sequel.

Last edited:
First one was pretty decent. Got more criticism than deserved because people wanted a Dark Souls clone and exactly same quality but with some tweaks here and there and correcting errors, LotF 2 could have been a contender to DS

Lords of the Fallen was a decent action RPG. Instead of spending their money to some stupid and performance heavy DRM they could spend that money for polishing the game though. I hope we will see the second game and more souls style games from other companies.

But I don't quite understand. Is it Deck 13 or CI Games that will develop the second game?

CI Games will Gokyabgu they haven't said who the external partners will be yet.
Lords of the Fallen 2 will now be developed internally with the help of external partners. Planned release is in 2017. For 2015 CI Games is working on a F2P Lords of the Fallen on mobile devices.

But I don't quite understand. Is it Deck 13 or CI Games that will develop the second game?

Not Deck 13. CI Games are going to work on it internally with some undisclosed external help. They have exactly 0 knowledge in making RPGs as far as I know so good luck to them I guess.

Anyone knows whether the first game will receive more additional content or Ancient Labyrinth would be the only one?

Back
Top Bottom