Worlds of Magic - Review @ Gamespot

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well here is another review for Worlds of Magic I found this week from Gamespot, and the site gave the game another low score of 2/10. Here is the reason why.

Worlds of Magic has none of that mystery. Its fantasy world is undercut by bland artistic direction and a lack of conviction. Choices about your leader and civilization that should matter lack weight in favor of same-ish armies and leaders that blend together. Grand-scale strategy that should make any player feel powerful, or at the least clever, gives way to the dullest slog. Worlds of Magic tries to mimic the cleverness of its superiors, but reaches far beyond its ability to perform.
More information.

2/10 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It seems like another KS project that ran out of money for the most important last 10 meters of the race.

Because of Gamespot RC review travesty I thought this will be another nonsensical one so went to read it... And it's not?!
The reviewer here seems actually played the game thoroughly, not just writing about preview version videos on youtube and about urban legends constant crashes.
In fact, this review contains somewhat constructive criticism.

I didn't plan to buy this game anyway as I have numerous games to play already this year, let's hope that for a sequel or some enhanced version, developer will address the design issues here.

So sad I was hoping it would be good as I was a huge fan of masters of magic in past. At least he tried.

2/10 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It seems like another KS project that ran out of money for the most important last 10 meters of the race.

Maybe. The KS for this was a very low value so they must've had some funding or not had that much development to go when they did their KS. Or they way underestimated how much time it takes to make a game. Something.

Either way, it's not necessarily a KS "thing" since thru all of gaming history there have been botched/bad/failed/didn't turn out like anybody thought game regardless of funding/publisher/developer/all manner of circumstances.

It's a bummer since it sounded good up front, which can be said for many of the games that spiral down a toilet like this one.

Worlds of Magic and Legends of Eisenwald are the only two games I regretted not backing, but I'm not so sure I regret not backing Worlds of Magic anymore.

When I tried their demo months ago, I was able to start the game and select my army, but couldn't get to the battle screen. I checked their forums and saw I was not the only one with this problem, but they didn't bother offering solutions.

For me, this and the poor reviews changed the game from an instabuy to a "will wait for more comments".

What's up with Gamespot and their over-the-top negativity lately? Ok, the game isn't very good at this stage, but 2/10 is a bit harsh.

Definitely too harsh. The game is not ready for prime time, and the devs knew it, but it is relatively fun for a while. I would give it a 6/10, hoping that they keep working on it and make a decent game in the near future. Just to clarify, I usually don't play 6/10 games for long, if any at all.

I'd probably give it around 5/10 - but I haven't played it enough to give a fair verdict. But there's plenty of potential, and it's really the closest thing we have to a Master of Magic sequel.

Worlds of Magic and Legends of Eisenwald are the only two games I regretted not backing, but I'm not so sure I regret not backing Worlds of Magic anymore.

When I tried their demo months ago, I was able to start the game and select my army, but couldn't get to the battle screen. I checked their forums and saw I was not the only one with this problem, but they didn't bother offering solutions.

For me, this and the poor reviews changed the game from an instabuy to a "will wait for more comments".

Legends of Eisenwald has had many delays but the developers took all their time to polish and balance the game. It's releasing in May and they will actually have a quality product.

Legends of Eisenwald has had many delays but the developers took all their time to polish and balance the game. It's releasing in May and they will actually have a quality product.

I agree. Even though these constant delays can disappoint, I respect that approach. It's much better than rushing an unfinished game. I am still looking very forward to LoE.

They were also brutally honest when they had difficulties. They were transparent and I think their players grew to respect that.

What this developer instead attempted to do is bury any negativity and keep the userbase shrouded in fog. They even had 11 stickies in their Steam forum to bury threads about players complaining about issues. If you looked past page one it was a massacre.

I really enjoyed the game... A lot!
it has a tonne of potential though, and was just released too early. It is very much like master of magic, however the only things I think it really needs is more personalisation with your sorcerer lord... I've. Cutscenes and making your sorcerer lord come alive more,... And better mid and end game AI.
I have played over 250 hours on this game lol

They were also brutally honest when they had difficulties. They were transparent and I think their players grew to respect that.

What this developer instead attempted to do is bury any negativity and keep the userbase shrouded in fog. They even had 11 stickies in their Steam forum to bury threads about players complaining about issues. If you looked past page one it was a massacre.

That's complete bs…they have been quite forward with there taking critique and have even responded to negative reviews with comments on how they would address this and hope they would check it out again when they did. You love to make up as much as you can to make it sound like you have a clue to what you are saying. They haven't tried to suppress anything.

A response from the dev to a negative review...a one liner even:

Aaron Ethridge [developer] 11 hours ago
Can you offer any specific feedback?

What makes you feel it's a mess?

What would you say is one major difference between WoM and MoM that makes WoM fall short in your opinion?

The more feedback we get the more we'll be able to improve things.

end qoute.

This doesn't sound like a dev who just threw it out there and wants to hide, they honestly want feedback.

Sure, it has had a rocky start, there is no denying that. But to claim that the devs are being underhanded or what not is false. I suspect that you haven't really investigated this at all and are really just doing this to troll.

Well that at least sounds like they want to fix it eventually. Hopefully they are still alive in 6 months.
Even Endless Legend needed a few months after release to become the great game it is now

Back
Top Bottom