Pillars of Eternity - Interviews & More Reviews

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found some more new interviews , and reviews for Pillars of Eternity this week. So lets get started wit the first interview from gamepressure about updates & expansions.
We've had a chance to talk about Pillars of Eternity with Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. Among the discussed topics was the success of this classic cRPG, as well as its future in the form of an upcoming expansion and another Kickstarter.
The second interview is from PCGamer about a new tabletop, and card game.
Releasing to rave reviews following a successful Kickstarter campaign and years of development, Pillars of Eternity is a deep and richly rewarding adventure, containing both old-school RPG roots and some reimagined concepts. I recently spoke to Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart over Skype about the benefits of funding a game through Kickstarter, their plans for future expansions, morality in games, and taking Pillars of Eternity's lore and characters to other forms of media, like books, card games, and a tabletop RPG.
And for last here are the six new links for the reviews.

1. Analog Addiction - 9.5/10
  2. This GenGaming - 9/10
  3. Gaming Enthusiast - 9.5/10
  4. GameInformer - 9.25/10
  5. Techraptor - 7.5/10
  6. USGamer - 4.5/5
More information.

Wow, someone dared to give the game less than an 8! I found Techraptor's review to be useful and informative, less gushing than what's typical.

I'd love to see what number Techraptor put on mainstream AAA stuff like DA3.

Must pay for advertising to get above 8 out of 10. Its obvious techraptor doesnt care or like the games story.

9 to Dragon Age Inquisition
8 to Far Cry 4,
9.5 to Super Smash Bros for the Wii
8.5 for Kingdom of Amalur (saying it as satisfying the WoW itch)
No Diablo 3 review proper, but the expansion had a 91% (seems like they changed their rating at some point).

I think it's mostly a Japanese handled and console game website going by the majority of the reviews listed though.

The criticism brought up seemed pretty valid to me, although one would have expected an 8.5 given the comparatively few negatives.

In end, what does it matter? People are clicking on the review, generating revenue for the site. Job well done.

Thanks!
Amalur better than Eternity. If I ever move to gaming industry, I'll make another grinder that respawns endlessly not just trashmobs but chests too and send a preview copy only to that site. They'll probably instacall it GOTY.

Techraptor review was excellent and mirrors my thoughts very closely.

Well they did also review D:OS and wasteland 2 but I think those games were reviewed by other reviewers (would have been good if the same person had reviewed all three games). None the less I thought the review was well (and decently) written though I was surprise by the final score relatively speaking. My personal comments is that POE story is more comprehensive (easier to follow) than D:OS but the game play of D:OS is wicked fun even if the sequence of events is a bit choppy. I prefer POE and D:OS over wasteland 2 which was ok but I found the combat got stale after a while and some of the choices confusing (I had a lot of problems with the monks and I think there were some serious bugs that forced me into combat with them but not sure how it ws suppose to work).

9 to Dragon Age Inquisition
8 to Far Cry 4,
9.5 to Super Smash Bros for the Wii
8.5 for Kingdom of Amalur (saying it as satisfying the WoW itch)
No Diablo 3 review proper, but the expansion had a 91% (seems like they changed their rating at some point).

I think it's mostly a Japanese handled and console game website going by the majority of the reviews listed though.

Super Stat-heavy cRPGs like Baldur's Gate, Drakensang, and now Pillars are a 'breed' of cRPGs that are secondary to my taste. I've always tended to enjoy more exploratory oriented CRPGs like Ultima and Gothic games. But I have to say, I'm really looking forward to playing Pillars and getting my DVD Box edition in the mail.

For those of you who are more proficient with this style of cRPG (stat heavy), what is the best way to tackle character creation when you really don't know if what you're doing will be viable 10, 20, 50 hours in? I intend to read the manual thoroughly. But there are so many stats that I always feel unsure of myself and find it hard to make a decision.

Super Stat-heavy cRPGs like Baldur's Gate, Drakensang, and now Pillars are a 'breed' of cRPGs that are secondary to my taste. I've always tended to enjoy more exploratory oriented CRPGs like Ultima and Gothic games. But I have to say, I'm really looking forward to playing Pillars and getting my DVD Box edition in the mail.

For those of you who are more proficient with this style of cRPG (stat heavy), what is the best way to tackle character creation when you really don't know if what you're doing will be viable 10, 20, 50 hours in? I intend to read the manual thoroughly. But there are so many stats that I always feel unsure of myself and find it hard to make a decision.

The best way is to set the game on Easy and start out with what you're likely to enjoy, and adjusting as you go along. Accept that you will likely start over a few times, and consider it part of the discovery process.

Well, that would be my recommendation.

I think creating a character according to the design of other people, is a sure-fire recipe for reduced enjoyment.

But we all differ, I suppose.

You can't really mess up on normal or easy. Just doing whatever and auto attacking will take you through the main plot on normal with the story NPCs in your party. If in doubt, use the recommended attributes (these show on the character creation page with gold and silver stars) and take class talents before offensive/defensive/utility talents. You'll want one party member to have mechanics, and one the story NPCs has a good start on that. Other than that, just roleplay it and have fun.

I wouldn't start any RPG on Easy mode, but that's just me. :)

I would say, build the character YOU want to play. Make sure it's something you enjoy. Even if you don't know the intricacies of the stat system yet, you can still build something "to the best of your previous RPG knowledge" and play a character you really want to run with.

I usually build Ranger characters in games like this, and it hasn't disappointed in Pillars, even though I really had no clue exactly how the stat system worked. You just learn as you go, possibly restart if you really want to, but just evolve and adapt as you get deeper in the game! :) :party:

$18.5 million in profit from a $4 million Kickstarter. Somewhere a horde of marketeers is having a collective wet dream right now.

Normal is challenging at first, but it gets a little too easy once you've got a few levels and crafted up your party's weapons.

Will you please play Blackguards or Xulima next? :evilgrin:

$18.5 million in profit from a $4 million Kickstarter. Somewhere a horde of marketeers is having a collective wet dream right now.
Nah, it's just Paradox. Other publishers are feeling at ease thinking "bah, without one more zero suffix in profit we're not interested" then go down like DTP and THQ.

That $18.5 million include Cities: Skyline and I expect it represent most of that $18.5 millions considering it still sale better than PoE on Steam.

Was it the gross or profit? Doubtful that PoE cost only 5M$

Normal is challenging at first, but it gets a little too easy once you've got a few levels and crafted up your party's weapons.

Really? have you been anywhere South, Southeast and East of Defiance Bay?

Where does the 18.5 figure come from ?

Back
Top Bottom