Two Worlds - Retrospective @ Wow 24/7

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well I never thought I would ever read an article that calls the original Two Worlds RPG the best bad game of all time, but a site called Wow 24/7 did this week.

Ok. Two Worlds is a weird game. But that’s fine, because that’s why it’s worth talking about. It didn’t sit with critics all too well on its release back in 2007, but take a quick look at its GoG page and you’ll find glowing review after glowing review. There’s a surprising amount of people who seem more interested in bashing the likes of Oblivion rather than reviewing Two Worlds, as if Two Worlds was done some great injustice by being not as good as that game. I’m particularly fond of one gallant reviewer’s opinion that people who didn’t like it “felt threatened by the game’s scope.” As it happens, along with many people, I did like it – but it is terrible.
More information.

I thought both Two Worlds games had some great RPG mechanics, huge scopes, and wonderful graphics. I also thought they had terrible, forced characters, poor writing, and terrible balance issues. Anyone who knows the games I like, knows I can enjoy dungeon crawlers with next to no story, but I really have problems with games where you actually have some spotlight on story and characters and they are abysmal. All in all the best bad game of all time seems pretty fitting to me. I actually played both games to the end, so the good parts were enough for me to endure the truly annoying elements. Still I came away from both games happy to be able to play something else.

Enjoyed the article. The author manages to disparage the game, the developers, and even gamers. But he does so in a complimentary and stylish way. Excellent.

The biggest problem for me in 'Two Worlds' was the absolutely atrocious writing and dialogue. The hokey medieval grammar and syntax -- beyond crap.
The questing and combat was fine with me.

Now, if you want total crap, that would be 'Dungeon Lords', hands down.

Games were too quirky and clunky for me, but they had potential.

Liked Two Worlds, love Two Worlds Two and play it fairly regularly. I just skip the horrible last chapter :)

Back
Top Bottom