Sword Coast Legends - Preview @ Gamereactor

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamereactor also published a new preview/interview video for Sword Coast Legends with n-Space President Dan Tudge who talks about a few various topics on the site.

Sure there's Neverwinter, but given the great video game experiences the franchise has spawned in the past it is a bit surprising that we haven't seen more video games based on D&D as of late. During the 90s there just to be a handful of games released each year, and while the following decade wasn't as prolific there were still plenty of games being released. These days it's a more of a rarity to learn of a new D&D RPG (fifth edition rules). Enter Sword Coast Legends.
More information.

I've preordered this one. I hope it delivers.

I'm quite sceptical about the DM mode and how it works, and it's pretty clear the game won't be a modern version of the great Neverwinter Nights (the good old one, not the mmo), but I sure hope the campaign is good and the online modes entertaining.

I preordered as well. I'm a see for myself type of guy so no matter what reviews say I'll get it. I bought daggerdale despite reviews and actually enjoyed it for what it was, although I'd never recommend it to someone else.

I'm a D&D nut so that will be enough for me.

Daggerdale was a good game, IMO.

I'm psyched about this game as well. The initial lack of classes made me think it might be a more casual approach, but it's D&D so I can't wait to try it. :)

Daggerdale was a good game, IMO.

I'm psyched about this game as well. The initial lack of classes made me think it might be a more casual approach, but it's D&D so I can't wait to try it. :)
The lack of real D&D rules is the casual approach.

The lack of real D&D rules is the casual approach.

This doesn't concern me at all as there has been a slew of Baldurs gate type games for single player release in the last year. I want something I can play for fun and with a group without the constant micro-management. Hopefully this is it.

This doesn't concern me at all as there has been a slew of Baldurs gate type games for single player release in the last year. I want something I can play for fun and with a group without the constant micro-management. Hopefully this is it.
I suggest you get your friends Gauntlet and you can play a game you want right away.

I suggest you get your friends Gauntlet and you can play a game you want right away.

Badly concealed sarcasm. Fail.

Believe it or not there are a lot of people who like Dark Alliance type games with action,loot and customization. Plus the Dm feature which should be a blast. It may not be your cup of tea but others will like it. Even Daggerdale had some fun wrapped in it and this looks much better. Saying its Gauntlet is a bit ridiculous.

Badly concealed sarcasm. Fail.

Believe it or not there are a lot of people who like Dark Alliance type games with action,loot and customization. Plus the Dm feature which should be a blast. It may not be your cup of tea but others will like it. Even Daggerdale had some fun wrapped in it and this looks much better. Saying its Gauntlet is a bit ridiculous.
But Gauntlet is a pure form of what you actually want.

I'm up for it - IF they sort the voice acting out. That amount of cheese is not good for your computer.

Looks like my cup of tea all round, though I'm sure they overinflated the voices for the advert, I've no doubt you can turn them down a bit in the options.

I'm up for it - IF they sort the voice acting out. That amount of cheese is not good for your computer.
They said the those are not final voices, they were made for the trailer by the people from the office.

This doesn't concern me at all as there has been a slew of Baldurs gate type games for single player release in the last year.

Huh? I must have missed something because I can only think of 1 game released in the last year that I would consider similar to Baldur's Gate. :thinking:

Daggerdale was horrendous, and luckily most people would agree: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dungeons-dragons-daggerdale Far better to just play Towers of Doom or Shadows.

Legends looks like it has some promise, not concerned about the "lack" of classes consider PoR had exactly the same no of classes :)

Daggerdale was, indeed, one of the worst games I've ever played. Even worse than PoR2.

I didn't think PoR2 was that bad to be honest. It was nowhere close to being on the same level as Baldur's Gate or ToEE, but it wasn't as horrible as some people claimed. Imo, the worst thing about it was how slow the attack animations were for certain monsters.

I actually wish it would show up on GOG because I'd like to play it again.

I thought it was really, really bad. Especially if you were familiar with the 3rd Edition D&D rules - which were completely butchered.

It was endless combat with a clumsy UI - using a very bad version of D&D rules.

To each his own, though.

Imo, the worst thing about it was how slow the attack animations were for certain monsters.

Nah, there's something much worse than that. You could speed up the animations with the speed mod. More annoyingly, there was a very strict imposed limit on the amount of distance you could place individual characters away from each other, rendering any attempt to scout ahead with rogues and whatnot completely impossible.
Funny thing was, the developers even attempted to justify this in the manual. I remember it both frustrated and amused me at the time. The IE games did this aspect of exploratory game-play so much better and Ruins of Myth Drannor suffered a little from the dreary repetition (of the music especially - I had to insert my own soundtrack while playing it.)

Having said that, I did complete it a few years ago and made a report on the 'Watch. The revisitation was much more pleasant than my first impressions, which were highly negative.

I somehow sense that Daggerdale could be even worse - but I could be wrong on this. :)

Huh? I must have missed something because I can only think of 1 game released in the last year that I would consider similar to Baldur's Gate.

Sorry, what I basically meant was isometric, turn-based or rtwp, games of which we have been mightily blessed this past year. Wasteland 2, Shadowrun,etc. Pillars of Eternity.

Back
Top Bottom