Age of Wonders 3: Eternal Lord - More Reviews

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found two more reviews for the Age of Wonders 3: Eternal Lord expansion.

Gamewatcher - 9/10
Like all good expansions, Eternal Lords doesn’t just throw in a bunch of new content at random (though that’s not to say there isn’t a ridiculous amount of new goodies, because there is). It carefully re-considers the mechanics of the core game and offers interesting new ways to approach familiar problems. The big draw here is the inventive Necromancer class, which is just heaps of fun, but both the two new races and the range of smaller changes, like the new options for a peaceful victory, are smart additions that will make Age of Wonders 3 feel fresh again to even the most jaded player. Take note, developers; this is how you do a good expansion pack.
OnRPG - 4/5
I’m in love with Age of Wonders III all over again. It’s a terrific fantasy strategy game with something new and fresh being offered in both expansions. New victory conditions, new classes (or returns of old favorites), new characters, lore areas, lengthy and challenging campaigns! Sure, the game is unforgiving and difficult, but it’s a nice hearken back to older strategy games of my youth such as Heroes of Might and Magic, as I have probably said before. Kudos to AoWIII, they are really offering something unique, fun and suitably difficult. And I have to say, I love resurrecting cities in my own grim visage. That was one of the coolest points to be offered in the new expansion. Though I have to say that I still hate the controls. I do not feel they have gotten any better. Sometimes simply clicking on a unit is not enough and that drives me mad, but not enough to hate this title.
More information.

Last edited:
Hi,

Has anyone played expansion and original? what are your toughts on it?

I played AOWII and i liked it, but after some time I get bored with it and moved to Heroes III or Kings bounty.

Hi,

Has anyone played expansion and original? what are your toughts on it?

I played AOWII and i liked it, but after some time I get bored with it and moved to Heroes III or Kings bounty.

I played quite a lot of AOW3 a few months ago and I liked it - interesting game mechanics (spells, global spells, leveling up your hero, finding artifacts, managing your kingdom, mini quests, etc.). Quite a few races and heaps of units over there (I bought two expansions but haven't played them yet). Some battles and maps can be challenging, but it's rewarding to learn how to fight and how to win. The AI is not bad and I read it's improved with the latest expansion.
I wasn't happy with the two campaigns for single player - boring story and the last map is the same for both factions. The maps were huge and because I didn't want to lose units and I didn't want to lose even one city, I was saving and loading heaps of time.
I played ages ago AOW and AOW2, and HoMM3, 4, 5 and all KB series - and Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy (interesting TB games although quite difficult...), so that's my favorite genre, mixing RPG with strategy is never easy, because your game will be always lacking some aspects from one category.
I will go back and play AOW3 with the expansions - and that means that the game is quite good and worth your time. It will make you think in many scenarios and when you win a difficult battle it will make you feel good.

I loved the first two AoW's but the third one just did not click for me. A lot of it was the difficulty level. The one above normal was easy for me but the one after that the AI just throws heaps of armies at you and it is very hard to expand.

So for me the game was either too easy or too hard. But that may have to do with my play style. Also, there was not enough structures to build in your cities and building up my empire is my favorite part of strategy games.

The battles and races in the game are fantastic and that kept me playing for a decent amount of time. Leveling up heroes and armies was very fun.

I've played AoWIII and indeed most other such games over the years. H3 is my favourite, followed by Disciples II, followed by AoW II.

AoWIII kept me entertained and is a good game in its own right, but I only finished the Elven campaign, and didn't get myself to play any other yet, because it wasn't quite as captivating as the other games in the series for me. For one, the story was very bland/simplistic, and the difficulty I played on made it very punishing (a few numbers rolled randomly the wrong way and your party gets hammered - very small marginals), so as others said, there's heavy load/saving involved, which detracts from the immersion. Lower difficulties on the other hand made it too easy.

I guess that for me, the pacing suffered due to this, but it might also be a case of having played so very many of these games over the years, and while AoW III is very competent and full of nice flourishes, it's not quite enough. I think I enjoyed Endless Legend more to name another new game in the same vein.

Still, it's a good game, and if you're looking for a new turnbased fantasy game, you can't go (really) wrong with it and it's definitively in the upper 10% of such games. I'll also get back and play the other campaigns. Eventually.

I only played the expansion a bit, but the additions of the frostlings and the necromancer player class were good ones. The necro brings some new wrinkles to managing your cities and armies. For example, your citiy's population doesn't just increase on its own like it does with those boring living creatures. It increases through some specialized world spells but mostly through war. You have to make corpses for your cities to flourish. A nice new mechanic, if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom