Battle Brothers - One Week of Early Access

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Battle Brothers website summarizes one week of Early Access on Steam and share their views on the next steps.

We’ll soon start working on our first new feature: The event system.

While traveling the world a lot of unforeseen things can happen and surprise you. These events can occur anytime and anyplace and will force you to make tough decisions outside combat. Just to give you random example of what might be; if there is a Battle Brother with a criminal background in your mercenary company, a passing guard patrol might recognize that character and demand you hand him over as a prisoner or face the consequences. Similarly, individual characters in your group might interact depending on their backgrounds and traits – will the adventurous noble get along with the lazy sluggard beggar?

Events like this will not be entirely random but depend on what happens in the world and which characters are in your company. Their outcomes will be partially randomized for the sake of replayability. The possibilities for creating interesting, challenging and morally ambiguous events are limitless.
More information.

Sounds good. Bring on all things that make the world feel more alive. The core of th e game is already solid as hell.

I'm watching this one and it looks decent but I see no compelling reasons to hop in on most early access games these days - too many good games out there - too much backlog.

I also think it's possible for developers to make games that themselves are worth playing and modding doesn't have to be a major part of every game being good. To me with most games that have a big modding scene, there's 1 out of 50 or so mods that are outstanding in a sea of garbage, and/or there are tons of mods for making the game trivial or ridiculous, but I suppose if that's how people want to play it doesn't really matter.

The amount and type of stuff you can add in sandbox RPGs though is phenomenal and it allows for so much more than what the developers themselves can sometimes imagine.

I think that helps a lot.

For example, Mount & Blade had a modder make naval battles years before the Pirates mod/game become available.

Other modders introduced magic and special effects too. Whilst yet others revamped the entire diplomacy system.

Even in this early state Battle Brothers is fun to play.
I recommend it to everyone who likes sandbox games, tactical combat and RPGs.

Mods are always welcome, and in a game like BB, this is even more true. Devs seem to be very receptive to feedback, so I hope that it will be possible.

Back
Top Bottom