Witcher 3 - Review Updated for PC-Version @GamersGlobal.de

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
German site GamerGlobal updated their very detailed The Witcher 3 review with impressions of the PC version and a couple of comparison screenshots with a slider. Here's a babelfished excerpt:

The PC version, which is before us in version 1.2 expected to show that visually better experience: The textures are sharper and straight particle effects such as smoke and fog contributing to a small atmosphere-increase. A dense vegetation, there are only here and there, even if the level of detail in most places fails clearly higher than on the consoles, which provide roughly the graphics quality on medium details. A reasonably current computer with 2 GB graphics card provides high settings with relative ease in 1080p, at least if you want to have not necessarily constant 60 frames. The frame rate can PC players on request, of course, choose complete without speed limiter also.

PC-exclusive features, such as increasing the number of NPC are also beautiful. The effect could but be greater, since only the number, but not increasing the diversity of the figures. [..] Despite sharper textures, higher smoothing of edges and a bit more foresight, the PC version is not free of defects. Also on PC humping again details in the picture, as we move through the landscape. Currently the framerate is collapsing here always times significantly, if not quite as strong as on the consoles.

The biggest advantage of the PC version, however, is the significantly shorter loading times and the much lower lag when you call the individual menu items such as the World map, inventory or character screen. Especially the transition from cutscene to shorter waiting times of atmosphere conducive, since there are fewer situations where we are torn out of the event. When control also are slight advantages. [...] but above all the inventory management is via point and click considerably more comfortable than with the gamepad despite the lack of sorting functions. [...]
More information.

Worry this is not going to be a great pc interface. At least larian, from what they wrote on blog know how to do proper pc interface on game that allows controller. Very disappointed in cdprojeck.

Worry this is not going to be a great pc interface. At least larian, from what they wrote on blog know how to do proper pc interface on game that allows controller. Very disappointed in cdprojeck.

I can understand that as I'm always concerned with K&M support, which is silly in itself since it's a PC game but that's a whole different conversation.

Anyway, I can't read German and the Google translation is pretty rough but doesn't he say it controls better on PC?

There are contradicting reports. GamersGlobal (the GameStar founder's website) says the controls are better with K+M while GameStar says at least combat is better with a controller because the mouse controls feel overloaded.
K+M and controller can both be used. The game recognizes what you are using at the moment. So you can do combat with the controller and everything else with the mouse.

@Gorath, thanks for the clarification. If I can play the souls games with K&M then I'm sure I'll have no problem with the witcher 3.:)

That is one very difficult article to read, I'm assuming it was translated?

Have you missed the "Here's a babelfished excerpt:..." bit rune? :)

If you knew how many times I've heard people say a game plays better with a controller, and other people say the game in question plays better with M&K - you might be surprised.

You can only judge that for yourself, unless it's an extreme case - and it won't be here, as there's too much riding on it.

I was just going to post what DArt said...

If you knew how many times I've heard people say a game plays better with a controller, and other people say the game in question plays better with M&K - you might be surprised.

You can only judge that for yourself, unless it's an extreme case - and it won't be here, as there's too much riding on it.

I can say batman arkham games and dark souls play better with controller. That recent dungeon crawler that fluent has been on about also dies.

Personally I play with whatever feels better to me which really is the most important aspect. Really who cares which is better?

I'm glad to hear you can switch on the fly - between k/m and gamepad. It's essential in games like GTA, and could prove useful with the type of combat in The Witcher games. Spending some time with TW2 and switching between the two schemes is not an option.

I can say batman arkham games and dark souls play better with controller. That recent dungeon crawler that fluent has been on about also dies.

Personally I play with whatever feels better to me which really is the most important aspect. Really who cares which is better?

You can say it but it doesn't make it true. I beat batman and dark souls games with K&M and couldn't get anywhere in them with a controller.

The best input device is the one that's most comfortable to the person playing.

Personally, my fingers really hurt after having abused them at the office all day and the last thing I need is more abuse playing games, so a gamepad is the most comfortable to me.

I mean, you guys must not type a lot at work. :p

Also, I've been starting at the The Witcher 3 Buy-button all night. What am I going to do!??

What drives my comments is that I only play pc games with pc interface. DarkSoul was not best with a controller because the game inheriently needed a controller it was best with a controller (on pc) because of a sucky pc interface. I don't award a game for being playable with a controller on a pc; I frown upon a game because the interface is crippled due to design around a controller.
-
While third party engines might have limitations; there is always an option on a home grown engine to develop to completely different interfaces that are optimized for their targets (pc/xbox) ( I think/hope Larian did this and I've seen it done in the past but can't remember a good example as most recent games take a common interface representation (graphics/visual presentation) and then change how you interact with the components.
-
Quite frankly I would be willing to allow the 'graphics' to suffer on the pc to have an optimal interface because the interface has such an impact on game play. I will refrain from making a decision until the game is out tomorrow but my gut feeling is cdprojek failed big time (for pc users).

If you've bought it and don't mind being bit naughty, the activation patch can be found now. Playing now.

Please take the discussion into our Witcher forum, guys. It will survive longer over there.

I've moved the tuning / low frame rate discussion to W3.

Back
Top Bottom