Fallout 4 - What PC Gamer Wants to see

aries100

SasqWatch
PC Gamer has written an editorial about what they want to see in Fallout 4. A quote, then:

Bethesda's Design, Obsidian's Characters. There I was, wandering beneath a line-up of broken satellite dishes, looking for things to do when I spied a door. What could be behind it? A gang of gangers? A terrified NPC? A few steps towards it, a glance around to make sure there was nothing sneaking up. I popped the door. Behind it was a wall with "Fuck You" written on it. Bethesda's worlds tend to be packed with detail, big and small. They're places to live in and enjoy, and just brilliant places to explore. Their characters, however, are a lot less engaging. Obsidian's take on New Vegas was packed with morally dubious Wastelanders with dark stories.
More information.

I'd like to see a story from a non-human perspective, like an android, ghoul, or a supermutant. It would take us in a very different direction and provide some unique experiences.

I'll grant Bethesda this, Skyrim had better story than any of their other games I've played. I still have a bitter taste from FO 3 in my mouth, I don't think I'll ever be able to force myself to complete it. I hope writing is an area they continue to improve cause they do build world well and the engine is absurdly moddable. I would love to see Obsidian do the writing, NV was stellar.

Just keep Avellone and his oh-so-mysterious opaque verbosity away from my Fallout game!

Also, I could do without every character in the world being a desperate-to-be-grey moral conundrum.

Let the NPCs be real and engaging without forcing the issue :)

Obsidan overwrite and Bethesda writing generally just sucks.

Can't I have Witcher writing or BioForge writing? :)

Dunno about PC Gamer's wishes, but FO series started as a postapoc sex, drugs & alcohol with guns.
That's what I want.

This pc gamer wants to see it soon. That's the main thing, other questions will come later.

I've got a big quest mod that I wrote for Skyrim, but implementing large quests in the Skyrim CK is a lesson in frustration, so I put it on ice. I might transpose it to the post apocalypse if F4 is better. Hopefully they'll implement paid modding, so I can be a millionaire. :biggrin:

Just keep Avellone and his oh-so-mysterious opaque verbosity away from my Fallout game!
Hate to break it to you sunshine, but it was Chris Avellone's Fallout way before it was ever yours. :D He was a key designer on Fallout 2. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fallout-2/credits

In all seriousness though, horses for courses and each to their own and all that on the question of writing style. Personally, I appreciate the more subtly literate, canon-friendly and creatively verbose approach to dialogue compared to what we got with F3.
It generally makes for a more considered, deeper connection to the game which is multi-faceted and not too obvious or straight in its delivery. Obsidian's work in New Vegas improved markedly upon Betheda's effort and really should be the benchmark writing and role-playing wise for F4. Let's hope they get in writers who understand what makes Fallout and post-apocalyptic fiction work so well.

Last edited:
I'll grant Bethesda this, Skyrim had better story than any of their other games I've played. I still have a bitter taste from FO 3 in my mouth, I don't think I'll ever be able to force myself to complete it. I hope writing is an area they continue to improve cause they do build world well and the engine is absurdly moddable. I would love to see Obsidian do the writing, NV was stellar.

You know what, to each their own. I've played FO3 four times and completed it twice—thoroughly enjoying it each time. But I've never been able to finish F:NV, mainly due to growing disinterest later in the game. I've never understood the high praise for F:NV; it's decent enough, I suppose, but definitely not stellar in my view.

It's all about different tastes rjshae.
I never lost interest with NV, but 3 kinda grew into boredom. It was not Oblivion type of boredom where I had to force myself into continuing with the game, FO3 needed something later to spice up things, something to turn things upside down, dunno how to describe it properly. Something FO1 and FO2 had (waterchip in the first one where upon delivering you closed a chapter and not a book, GECK in the second one).

Back
Top Bottom