The Bard's Tale IV - Game steeped in Scottish folklore

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Martyn McLaughlin (The Scotsman) likes the way the Bard's Tale series is bringing Scotsland's most historic sites to life for a new generation:
An eagerly anticipated computer game will allow players to explore a fantasy version of Skara Brae, one of the world’s best preserved Neolithic settlements.

While the prehistoric village has inspired generations of artists and filmmakers, the new game will seek to bring the Orkney site back to life as a bustling town.

The upcoming title, The Bard’s Tale IV, will use cutting edge photogrammetry technology to recreate Skara Brae’s features, while a degree of artistic license will imagine vast, dangerous catacombs below.

Those behind the venture say they hope to celebrate Orcadian folklore and Scottish culture in the game. Already they have hired the celebrated singer Julie Fowlis to play a part in the production.

The title is the long awaited sequel to one of gaming’s best loved role playing series. Originally released in 1985, the inaugural Bard’s Tale was a critical and commercial success thanks to its 3D style graphics and gripping fantasy narrative. However, since the release of the last sequel in 1988, the franchise has lain dormant.

Although the Skara Brae that will feature in the game is not an exact replica of the one on Orkney’s Bay of Skaill – its narrow passageways are peppered with various traps and monsters that must be overcome – Brian Fargo, the chief executive of InXile, said the history of the settlement and Scotland as a whole would form an integral part of the game. He and his team have already visited Orkney and other locations to take photographs to convert into 3D objects that appear in-game.

“One of the important aspects of The Bard’s Tale IV is its connection with Scottish heritage. It is very much based on Scottish culture and specifically the Orkney folklore.

“In both its music and visuals, it draws heavily from many elements of Scottish culture. We plan to integrate Scottish architecture in the look of Skara Brae and the game’s dungeons and wilderness. (…)
More information.

not until they're giving a bit more background info.

And they aren't giving more background info until it's funded. I really wonder what controversial things Fargo has in store that he wants to have things wrapped up before spilling the beans.

Nice. I like that some more European areas are used for RPGs. :)

Celtic myths are very rich - you can read DAYS through Welsh myths alone on Wikipedia !

Although, the last time this was done, it ended up as "shovelware" by THQ … ;) ( I mean Drakensang … ;) )

So what's getting people so excited about this one? The Bard's Tale III wasn't that well received in RPG circles, if I remember correctly. Are they going back more to the originals? Kind of hard to see how that'll play out, them being such old titles.

Is it simply the fact that it'll be party-based and by inXile?

So what's getting people so excited about this one?

Party-based, first-person dungeon-crawler, turn-based (or phase-based) combat, tricks and traps in the dungeons, party management, Bard's Tale RPG stat systems and beautiful graphics are the main reasons I'm excited for this one. And I'm not just excited, I'm *very* excited for it. =)

So what's getting people so excited about this one? The Bard's Tale III wasn't that well received in RPG circles, if I remember correctly. Are they going back more to the originals? Kind of hard to see how that'll play out, them being such old titles.

um what? all the bard's tales were well recieved(1 to 3)...except for that one released a few years back.

Presumably you mean the Bard's Tales 2004 version, which was a sort of spoof RPG and probably didn't deserve the Bards Tale name.

Otherwise - noone has made a decent first party (blobber type) RPG since Wizardry 8. Grimrock was sort of OK, but a bit of a click fest, a bit too puzzle oriented and with poor story/itemisation.

I suppose we are all hoping InExile can do a whole bunch better than that. There is just so much potential in this genre that remains untapped.

Hmm. Elminage Gothic is pretty good. It's actually a really, really good blobber. :)

I've been playing it a bit - and it isn't bad, being as it is almost an exact copy of Wizardry 1-3... with slightly better graphics and a few new mechanics, not all of which are that interesting. It is a bit generic feeling though and feels a bit like playing a spreadsheet with massively oversized text.

It may be similar to Wiz 1-3, but it still has dark, surrealistic artwork and very interesting mechanics. I really like the multi-classing possibilities and the various unique traits that all the classes have.

I don't think it feels like playing a spreadsheet, whatever that means. It is quite immersive on a nice monitor with good audio.

Bard's Tale IV will be great but Elminage Gothic is a great blobber of its own. There aren't enough modern games like these out there. =)

um what? all the bard's tales were well recieved(1 to 3)…except for that one released a few years back.
Presumably you mean the Bard's Tales 2004 version, which was a sort of spoof RPG and probably didn't deserve the Bards Tale name.

Yes, exactly. I never played those old games, so I didn't know how many there were. :) The 2004 release was alright, I guess, but nothing amazing.

But here's to hoping this one can be like Wizardry 8 but more modern!

Back
Top Bottom