Fallout 4 - Mods for Xbox One

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Fallout 4 will feature the possibility to have mods created for PC to be transfered to Xbox One.

Bethesa boss Todd Howard dropped a bombshell during the Fallout 4 demo at Microsoft’s E3 press conference.

Referring to the importance of mods to Bethesda’s titles, Howard revealed that content created by users will be made compatible with Xbox One.

The exec said this was a feature the publisher has been pushing for since the original Morrowind arrived on Xbox fifteen years ago.

While he didn’t go into specifics, he did promise that all mod content created on PC can ben downloaded and transferred to Xbox One for use in the console version of Fallout 4 for free.

There’s no word on whether or not this is exclusive to Microsoft’s console, but don’t be surprised if mods crop up on the PS4 version as well.
More information.

This is IMO scandalous.
- PC engine affecting mods will never be compatible with XBone unless XBone suddenly becomes PC.
- HUD mods, especially musthave SkyUI mod, is unwanted on consoles.
- mods that can be applied on all platforms are de facto horse armor mods.

Bethesda wants to monetize mods but instead of investing into modders, tax them. Tried, but failed. Failed because "bestselling" mods are not nor can ever be Sims dress up Barbie stuff, failed because PC audience is not a bunch of dumbsters who don't care if they're paying for great stuff or for a garbage. The solution? Put the whole thing on the market who'll pay $100 for a junk platformer that looks like it's been made for C64. Consolemarket.

Meanwhile in the real world, some new hardware technologies are coming onto PC (DDR4) and some are already present (SSD). The existing stuff made so called nextgen consoles obsolete the day those were out, upcoming stuff will probably mean even bigger difference. And no kind of software cannot help superlong loading times on consoles - just imagine how long those will raise with mods applied on a game.

I'm not really sure why are biggest names in gaming industry obsessed with an ancient tech and with keeping the progress as minimal as possible. No, I will not play checkers nor reversi any more. If someone can't make something different than that I suggest them to move to agriculture sector.

Yes, it's scandalous that they're trying to make mods work for Xbox One :)

Good one, joxer!

Yes, that was a bit weird.

Mods being transferable to consoles does not mean that ALL mods are transferable that way. I know he said "all" in the article, but I doubt that.
Stuff like script extenders are simply not controllable on the PC, so if something relies on what is basically a hack, it will not be transferable.

Of course, it would be best if the game was moddable enough on its own so that extenders like for Skyrim are no longer needed.
And I am pretty sure that they won't test all the mods before "unlocking" them for consoles. If a mod goes out of its way to produce heaps of additional actors and effects, then consoles either won't be capable of doing that or crash while trying to do so.
Note that nothing was said about a guarantee that transferred mods will be guaranteed to work (a guarantee which no moddable game can give, no matter the platform).

Time will tell, but I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Joxer once more proving he doesn't know what he is talking about. The xbox one is a pc, maybe not the highest end one but still a very capable pc that doesn't have the huge operating system requirements a pc does...which allows them to streamline a lot. Not in the traditional sense mind you but due to microsoft having both the operating system on most pc's and having the xbox one which will be able to interact with windows 10.

Just more silliness.

They say all mods but what people will get is a select few things that they deem the console market can have. While free it will probably require xbox gold or some such.
Also the hardware is bottlenecking the games as is so any mod of real work would likely just break the whole thing.

Screams PAYED MODS to me...

The mods that are simple edits of values found in the mod kit will probably be easy to port. The more complex ones with scripts and external support might be another thing entirely. I rarely use the former only as the flaws I find in the game are usually too big/numerous for simple edits alone. Not that this affects me in the slightest (unless the status of mods for the pc changes) being a PC-only gamer. Still, good news for the consolers.

90% of the most interesting mods for Skyrim require SKSE. No chance those will ever work on XBox.

I think it's a positive development. The PC becomes viewed as a development platform for consoles. It will also further increase the audience for gaming mods.

Good luck troubleshooting and patching more than one extensive mod together ;) Still, it's a notable step towards reaching more people. Just don't expect mod authors to make two versions of their work because you're running on a PC from 6 years ago.

I can see how gameplay tweaks and quest mods would work, but surely a large percentage of mods won't work well on Xbox. I'll be curious to see how xboxers respond when high quality textures bring the stuttering. God help the modders in those forums!

I expect this to fall flat on its face. There are good reasons that mods doesn’t already come out to a closed system. At least it will be interesting to see how it develops.

They are planning to bring it to PS4 as well; I imagine that depends on how well it works out on Xbox One as well as how well it sells on PS4.

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/610567108913553408

I would expect the biggest effect from this, aside from console gamers discovering how much mods *can* just break shit is that it will end up encouraging more people who buy it first on consoles to buy it again later on PC. That is where they'll have more control over how mods load as well as access to things like script extenders after all.

That might be part of the point.

Well, this fall XB1 will get the Windows 10 upgrade… so your statement is true.
Yea, right.

Look, M$ wants to own the road and then tax every driver. Worked with PC OS, some win version is IIRC currently on 90% of machines out there. But it's impossible to own consoles road, especially with a mediocre product.
Such mediocre product is capable to run windows, but then again, modern smartphones are too. Yet, I'm still using iPhone and if I switch onto something new it'd be Lenovo android cheapstuff, definetly not windows phone.

Yea, right.
…But it's impossible to own consoles road, especially with a mediocre product.

My point was that once XB1 is running the Windows 10 core, transferring mods between PC and XBone would be trivial.

And yes, my XB1 is an underpowered and mediocre console… I almost laughed when Microsoft announced yesterday that XB1 will support the Oculus Rift, but only by streaming games through your Windows 10 PC and then to the Rift. What the hell do we need the XBone for? Just buy Rift games for the PC in the first place.

I was a bit disappointed that MS didn't announce their rumored XB1.1 at E3 this year, which with a bump in cpu and memory speeds would finally allow for true 1080p gaming… but it looks like MS is happy with second place in the console wars.

AS usual so much stupid and misinformation by you guys.

Back
Top Bottom