Legends of Eisenwald - Combat Video

This looks really interesting, anyone here have played the early access?

The health bar still changes before the combat animation. :(

I KS this, looking forward to playing it. It will be tough for me to play though, as I have a thing for not losing units (reason I can't play games like Xcom in ironman). Looks like I'll have to accept the fact that some of my units will die in combat here :)

Last edited:
I just played 100 minutes with the latest version and finished the prologue. My impressions aren't too good.

All in all it feels quite unpolished, maybe a little like Dead State felt and still feels.

Interface:
The Interface overall feels unpolished, there are lots of points which come to immediate attention:
-The Dialogues look extremely cheap just because a simple thing: The people are displayed as little pictures which have no frames. So it's just a cut texture of a 2D picture of a 3D model showing up
-If you move over the turn order, the unit you mouse over is highlighted. By the highlight texture is not fitting to the unit frame. Also there is no effect of it. If you mouseover the unit in the battlefield you don't see the unit in the turn order and if you mouseover the unit in the turnorder, you don't see it on the battlefield.
-In the market you cant just click on an item to buy it, you need to click on the small buy button below it. Also no sound effect when you buy it. It doesnt feel good.
-You cannot hover over units in a garrison and get their information as you need to hover over the garrison to get the garrison info
-questlog doesn't give accurate and up to date information. I got a dialoge telling me "go back to the city" after killing a bandit. But the log still said "kill the bandit".

Sound:
-Music Track itself is great
-Casts have no sound effects, which feels kinda broken
-Some tracks have a harsh cut, and when they loop like every 30 seconds, it clearly hear the cut

Combat:
-It has some weird combat mechanics, but these are more things to get to used though and not straight negative. E.g. you cannot move without attacking. You can also only move and attack to the closest standing unit.
-I chose the mystic as main character. It felt like the weakest person in the whole fight every time. As the only thing he could do is to buff your dudes/ debuff enemies in a way it's hardly recognizable. The buff also sets to an absolute number. So your armor buff of "set armor to 13 (or so) would lessen the armor of your dude with 15 armor by 2.
If there is nobody to buff…you just pass your turn with that dude.
-The combat area is extremely small, which is probably also the reason why there are these special movement rules. The area in the video is about all you get
-Some of these areas are surrounded by trees. These trees however block your vision. So you need to cycle around your camera so you can actually see something. Somthing like this is minor but should never make it through QA.

German Translation:
-Lots of content isn't translated at all
-Found a couple of mistakes like typos
-There is also missing info and wrong info in skill information. E.g. a Skill says that it will increase Attack, but it instead increases Defense

So personally I am not too thrilled. If I had to chose two words to describe how it felt, I would chose cumbersome and unpolished.

Kordanor, most of your issues with the game have been addressed and the final build fixes lots of them. There will be 3d units in dialog, sound effects are everywhere, there are SFX as you can see in the video, there is combat log, mini map, etc. And we haven't updated the current version for over a month, of course it's still unpolished. We worked on many improvements over a year and they will be in the final version only. So your words are a bit misleading since the latest version is not our latest version. Check the video again and you might see how many differences between Early Access and pre-final versions are there.

Your issue of playing with Mystic is only because you played it too little. Mystic becomes the most powerful hero in the game and in order to have at least somewhat some balance he is weaker in the beginning.

Anyway, we have a press version ready. I emailed a few folks at RPG Watch staff but no responses. If anyone is interested, we will provide a review copy.

Aterdux - we appreciate your offer - but most RPGWatch staff members have not much time to play and review a game right now - so Myrthos posted this.

Yup, thank you! That's a good alternative and I know you guys are busy.

To follow up on a Mystic being weak - check these two playthrough videos on Cursed Castle with Mystic on ultrahard. A few people on Steam forums were telling me it's impossible to win with him even on hard. Well, that's not true and it's possible while not a simple affair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Fg4PxpcoI - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLJkJgX47AU - Part 2

I KS this, looking forward to playing it. It will be tough for me to play though, as I have a thing for not losing units (reason I can't play games like Xcom in ironman). Looks like I'll have to accept the fact that my some of my units will die in combat here :)

While I never tried it but I think you can play without losing anyone on normal level. It will have a few implications however:
1. You will have to avoid attacking armies much stronger than yours, like in this video.
2. Following from 1 - this will give a bit less experience, since the stronger the enemy the more experience you get.

When your soldiers fall in combat, they are injured. They are also injured when they lose more than 50% health in one strike or shot. So, this kind of injury I don't think you will be able to avoid since it pretty much takes one strong crossbowman in the enemy army.

While I never tried it but I think you can play without losing anyone on normal level. It will have a few implications however:
1. You will have to avoid attacking armies much stronger than yours, like in this video.
2. Following from 1 - this will give a bit less experience, since the stronger the enemy the more experience you get.

When your soldiers fall in combat, they are injured. They are also injured when they lose more than 50% health in one strike or shot. So, this kind of injury I don't think you will be able to avoid since it pretty much takes one strong crossbowman in the enemy army.

Oh, if they just get injured I'm ok with that, it's perma-losing people what my mind just can't seem to accept.

Well, in our game you have to be really negligent to lose someone. There is perma-death - it's when a unit receives 4 wounds. Sometimes in combat it might make sense not to heal a weaker unit otherwise he will get these 4 wounds and will be impossible to heal.

Due to low fantasy setting in part we didn't want to have resurrection in the game.

@Aterdux

Thanks for the heads up.
From what I can see in the video the mouseover on the enemy highlights it on the turn indication now (but only if attackable), but also in the video you showed there doesn't seem to be any casting sound. The buy buttons were also still the same in the video. Was there anything else I missed?

Regarding the mystic: As I mentioned I only played the prologue, which is probably the first experience most players will have with this game. But within this experience, which everyone will go through, your main character is presented as almost useless weakling. I am not arguing that he is unbalanced later in the game, and I personally also don’t need a very strong character right away. But playing him in the prologue is just unsatisfying. And the first impression people have with the game is one of the most important. Also the first level up (also in the prologue) doesn’t give you choices which look very good. There were just tiny percentage values in most talents, which will probably not really affect the combat anyways. One of the exceptions is the one which enables your mystic to actually attack as showed in the video. These talent descriptions however might also be an error in the German translation as I didn’t check the English version. One talent was also completely missing a description. The biggest advantage of the new level was the new spell, which also didn’t feel powerful, but at least it gave you more options than to effectively debuff your front soldier. Imho something like an extremely weak ranged attack spell would already have helped or being able to "melee attack" your opponents straight away.

We do have sounds for the spells made and the build I used might not have had the latest changes. There are even voice overs. The buy buttons are the same, true. Minim-map, combat log, SFX - did you see any of those?

As for the Mystic, playing mages in RPGs is often harder in the beginning. You can put your Mystic into the front line to make him more useful. He has the skill of applying the armor spell on himself, which I find very useful. Another spell is making mass spells. All in all, we heard similar complaints a lot and usually it comes from people who played just a few hours. The ones who played longer or a lot are pretty happy with how he is played. Playing Mystic is more complex and requires more thought than playing other heroes.

We do have sounds for the spells made and the build I used might not have had the latest changes. There are even voice overs. The buy buttons are the same, true. Minim-map, combat log, SFX - did you see any of those?

As for the Mystic, playing mages in RPGs is often harder in the beginning. You can put your Mystic into the front line to make him more useful. He has the skill of applying the armor spell on himself, which I find very useful. Another spell is making mass spells. All in all, we heard similar complaints a lot and usually it comes from people who played just a few hours. The ones who played longer or a lot are pretty happy with how he is played. Playing Mystic is more complex and requires more thought than playing other heroes.

In that case (and I'm totally ok with what you say) perhaps mark the mystic on character selection as 'Advanced' or something, and a tooltip/description saying this option is harder at the start, just as a warning for new players.

In that case (and I'm totally ok with what you say) perhaps mark the mystic on character selection as 'Advanced' or something, and a tooltip/description saying this option is harder at the start, just as a warning for new players.

That's a good idea, thanks! I think we thought about doing it a while ago but forgot. I think "For advanced players" would work? "Fuer fortgeschrittene Spieler" in German? Last minute translations are tought :)

Back
Top Bottom