Serpent in the Staglands - Review @ Niche Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Carl Batchelor (Niche Gamer) has reviewed Serpent in the Staglands - some snippets:

Serpent In The Staglands Review – This Snake Doesn’t Scale To Your Level

It’s reached the point where using the term “old school” while describing an RPG means about as much as the New England Patriots winning the Super Bowl. Having lost a lot of its effectiveness as a term of splendor and awe, being old school doesn’t seem to mean as much as it once did. With Kickstarter, the indie revival, and Steam Greenlight still going strong, it’s hard to play the “we don’t get enough of these games” card.

That being said, there are still games out there that can use the moniker, it’s just that in this writer’s opinion, they have to go the extra mile to earn it. Simply having pixel graphics, turn-based combat and a deep statistical underpinning isn’t enough. Perhaps the developers behind Serpent in the Staglands were aware of this, because if any game out there deserves to use the term, it’s this one.

Serpent in the Staglands, which I’ll be calling Staglands from here on out, first attracted me to it by showing off those slick Ultima 7 inspired visuals. Though I’m not fond of the old and decrepit pixelated graphics these games embrace, I was impressed that the developers aped the style from one of my favorite classic DOS era CRPGs instead of just throwing together something low-fi while hiding their inability to do world design within the wide umbrella of nostalgia. (…)

Like any good European CRPG, Staglands isn’t looking to hold your hand or babysit you. It may pit you against hordes of non-leveled foes, but it does at least give you plenty of powers. Matter of fact, the powers it gives you access to are pretty robust for an indie game developed by a very small studio with little game development experience. The skill system, which is divided into three sub sections, contains over 50 different disciplines to specialize in.

Split between aptitudes, skills, and spells, the game gives you plenty of ways to craft a unique combatant in what is a completely classless system. While skills are the typical “Increase critical rate” or “Bash an enemy for 1d3 damage with a shield” sort of thing, the spell and aptitude part of it is a bit more exciting.

Spells are not held back by mana points or cooldown rates like in most other RPGs. In Staglands, a spell can be fired off as many times and for as long as you so desire. This helps a lot, since magic is extremely powerful in the game and having at least two dedicated casters in your group is an absolute must. Though there are only three levels of spells (a 4th will be introduced in the upcoming expansion), you do get a very wide variety of incantations within each of those levels.

The real beauty is in the aptitude section of the skills, where occupational abilities come into play. Including abilities woodwise, linguistics, nobility, herbology, philosophy and harbinger, the aptitude part of the game’s character creation system is the most important one to master.

It’s also the most difficult, since the real uses of these skills are hidden and not talked about in either the manual or their in-game descriptions. (…)
Verdict 8.0

Pros:
  • Beautiful looking world, even with the pixels
  • Highly non-linear
  • Deep character creation & customization
  • long quest, lots of content for an indie game
Cons:
  • Combat feels lopsided, AI can be tricked very easily
  • No quest journal, easy to lose track of goals
  • Overall lack of user-friendliness
More information.

I need more time - I have to play this one.

I just started my first hour of the game. It feels more like Ultima then Baldur's Gate so far. I'm not sure I like the lack of a quest journal, but we'll see how lost I get. It also reminds me a lot of Spiderweb games (like Avernum and Geneforge), but with a much more primitive interface and less comfort.
I do like the setting so far though. Its very unusual.

I think this review is fair although the reviewer gave a couple of false/wrong info (like developers are not from Europe like he said). It is about the score I would give but for different reasons.

I agree with the conclusion. "General lack of user-friendliness" about sums it up why I currently don't play it anymore.
- no real overview map, the zoom mode is only marginally helpful
- no proper information in the sidebar about what happened and why (i.e. combat and spellcasting)
- Combat can be tedious when my archer insists on walking near the enemy she is supposed to shoot from a distance (happened all the time, very aggravating)

I really wanted to like the game (backed it on KS) but currently, it appears that I have been spoiled by more modern and more user-friendly games.

There are other odd exclusions, like not being able to resurrect fallen allies, not getting any clues as to whether killing an NPC will ruin your quest

lol at that but otherwise good review.
I have been spoiled too much by modern games so it will take an effort to get into this. I guess I should bring a notebook for the journey... good times.

Just tried to play it but the game is quite ugly. Takes a lot of effort to get into the flow to continue. Also I am a bit disappointed that it is not a turn based game.
The hardcore feeling on the other hand gives it a special flavor.

Last edited:
Just tried to play it but the game is quite ugly. Takes a lot of effort to get into the flow to continue. Also I am a bit disappointed that it is not a turn based game.
The hardcore feeling gives on the other hand a special feeling.
Ugly? It has its own art style, I would not call it ugly.

This game really is a gem. I don't think it will get the play and traction it deserves. I dislike RtwP but I enjoyed this game immensely. People who like NWN and the IE games are doing themselves a disservice by passing this game up.

It kind of reminds me of Tuegar (sp?) and the Alliance with Rome. A game that is just overlooked by the people who should like it the most. I thought Knights of the Chalice would be like that, but it got pretty good word of mouth (or seemed to) and was considered a must buy for rpg players of quality, taste, and refinement.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is if you think you like rpgs and haven't bought and played this game you are most likely more monkey than person. You probably drink your own urine and have a thick milky discharge coming out of one or more of your orifices.

Back
Top Bottom