Deus Ex: MD - Interview @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Alex Donaldson (RPG Site) has interviewed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Producer Olivier Proulx - some snippets:

RPG Site: Human Revolution sounded like it was quite an iterative process during its development in how you figured out what a modern version of Deus Ex looked and felt like. How soon did you know what direction you wanted to take with the sequel?

Olivier Proulx: Well, the first thing we did was -- we started working on the project after The Missing Link, which was the DLC that we did for Human Revolution. The first thing we really worked on was our engine. That's the Dawn Engine - that's basically our own engine at Eidos Montreal.

We decided to work on the tech first to make sure that we could bring the Deus Ex world to the quality level you've seen today. We wanted to give ourselves the tools to build that world at that quality. So we worked on the tech first, but after that, we started working on the story and figuring out where in the lore and world we'd fit in.

We wanted to come back with Adam Jensen and we started setting up the world - two years after Human Revolution - building on the back of the huge aug incident that happened. That incident really divides the world and becomes a catalyst, with augmented people being segregated and naturals sort of fearing them. For us that was a really interesting premise and we've built upon that over the last few years.
RPG Site: Based on the demo I just saw, gunplay looks to have been a major development focus. Did you get a lot of feedback from Human Revolution that a lot of people played it like a shooter and thus, that had to be a priority for improvement?

Proulx:
That wasn't the reason... We really invested in it because we felt that we weren't really happy ourselves with how shooting handled in the last game, or the combat in general.

A Deus Ex game is about playing the way you want. If you want to be a stealth player, great. If you want to be a combat player or a mix of both, we need to support it - it's about player choice. We wanted to bring the combat up to the same level that stealth was.

Now it's a far more viable option. For a player that likes a mix of both - for a stealth predator type - now I can have more fun with the game. The augmentations are much more fluid to use, easier to control, and well-integrated with Jensen.
Gameplay demo:

More information.

This game is slowly becoming TW3.
Bragg, bragg, bragg, vid, vid, vid, pic, pic.

Shuddup, take our money and release the damn game already!

This game is slowly becoming TW3.
Bragg, bragg, bragg, vid, vid, vid, pic, pic.
It's the same videos/Images that have been available for a month now. :p

Anyway this game is officially on my top five list for next year already.:drool:

Top 5?
Can I guess other four? I can?

Okay, here goes (not nothing!):
1. Technomancer
2. XCom2
3. Mass Effect 4
4. Elex

The 5th entry would be FO4, but Bethesda is rushing it out this year for whatever reason, that's why it's your top 5, not top 6, right? :p

Anyway, there is something odd with all these games… Can't pinpoint what. Yea, openworld… Nah… X Com won't be openworld… Hmmmm… :)

Correct Joxer now try to guess my top 20 for next year.:biggrin:

Hint : It doesn't have any Farcry, Sims, or Assassin Creed games.

Last edited:
Both Xcom 2 and F4 are coming out this year :D

Both Xcom 2 and F4 are coming out this year.
Come now we have to give Joxer credit for trying.:)
He got 3/5 correct at least.:party:
ELEX will probably be delayed till 2017 though.:(

Correct Joxer now try to guess my top 20 for next year.:biggrin:
That's not possible. Many games are not even announced yet.

Hint : It doesn't have any Farcry Sims, or Assassin Creed games.
Your loss. :)
Although… I doubt we'll see any in 2016-17.
AC god knows which number is set for Q4 this year and almost noone is preordering it. Why? Broken and unoptimized previous game releases.

Your loss. :)
Although… I doubt we'll see any in 2016-17.
Well there is Assassin Creed Syndicate, but after the last game I have no desire to play it.

That one is set for this year.
And me, after AC 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, 4, Rogue and Unity (one would think I'm Ubi's #1 fan, haha) - am keepeing a 1000 miles distance from it. No way I'm gonna risk another broken and possibly boring game. And no, their decision to remove bloody multiplayer won't help.

Deus EX: MD, just what the doctor ordered! GET IT? DO YOU? But seriously, totally ready for this.

My top anticipated games since this is fun:

1. Fallout 4, obviously! Must have, period.
2. Deus Ex MD because best story-driven FPS franchise ever.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain because I'm a sucker for insane Metal Gear stories. Plus Kojima always pushes technology forward, which I greatly respect.
4. Dark Souls 3 maybe I suppose, or Bloodborne Expansion, whichever is first.
5. Maybe I should play the twenty or so awesome games I've already started?

I like almost everything I'm hearing, except that they still intend to give players enough Praxis points to get almost everything. It hurts replayability and makes each choice less significant. Really stupid, in my opinion.

And no one asked why they did not patched the DX: HR Director's Cut edition until now....Yay for fabulous and courageous journalism.

Patched what exactly? Bad circle shaped sky textures? Bah.

Back
Top Bottom