PoE: The White March - Release Date: August 25

O_O

I didn't expect it that soon and it's a few days after the release of Shadowrun HK.

Interesting, but color me disinterested at the Part 1 implication. I'll wake up when its done.

Yeah, episodic expansions now? That's....underwhelming.

Yeah, episodic expansions now? That's….underwhelming.

It's not episodic, they split the expansion in two to be able to release some of it earlier. The two parts count as the promised Kickstarter expansion.

O_O

I didn't expect it that soon and it's a few days after the release of Shadowrun HK.
Yes and I will be playing SR:HK for sure. This expansion will wait for patches and a steam sale in winter. I don't trust Obsidian anymore.

I wonder when I will finally play this. Probably after the second part is out.
Does anyone know if the second part will include new companions?

Aloth -- Wizard
Durance -- Priest
Edér -- Fighter
Pallegina -- Paladin
Sagani -- Ranger
Kana Rua -- Chanter
Hiravias -- Druid
Grieving Mother -- Cipher
Zahua -- Monk
Devil of Caroc -- Rogue

It seems only a barbarian is missing though maybe OE will make someone with his own unique class or something.

I think I will hold off until both expansion are out and replay it all then.

It's not episodic, they split the expansion in two to be able to release some of it earlier. The two parts count as the promised Kickstarter expansion.

Which is exactly what episodic means... splitting content in two or more parts...

I enjoyed PoE at first. I liked the writing and the text adventures, but I ended up quitting for another game around the end of the first chapter. I didn't like the character development much and the combat grew a bit tedious. The fights always seemed to devolve into a pulsing foot-circle blob. As such, I couldn't even use so many of my abilities….so many AoEs. Couldn't even use them due to friendly fire. (My play was early on, and I have seen in patch notes they changed many of the AoEs to "foe only," but that really just strikes me as a half-assed "fix" that doesn't really address the systemic problem.)

I thought I would like this more, as a fairly big Obsidian fan. And my love of the Baldur's Gate style apparently hasn't changed. Not long before, I had played the enhanced edition of the first Baldur's Gate and enjoyed the hell out of it. Still near the top of my RPG list. It seems to me the character-development system and combat mechanics in PoE were lacking.

It seems D&D trumps Josh Sawyer.

I don't think that should be very surprising, considering D&D's long history. And maybe PoE is more refined now, too, after so many patches. I'll give it another go after this expansion is patched together in full and shows up on sale.

As with others, I'm holding off until both expansions are out. That'll give me more time for the playthrough to fade from memory, so I'll enjoy it more.

Seems like you (and many others here) intentionally want to feel that Baldur's Gate were just much superior games. At the time, there were people saying the exact same thing about the Baldur's Gate games! Basically, people only love one thing more than sex and that is complaining. The internet, taken as a whole, is one part sex and two parts complaints.

Looking back on the Baldur's Gate games, I remember all the same issues you mention. From when did BG not have AoE damage on party members?? Systemic problem?! You control the party almost exactly like you do in BG, do the same thing you did in BG! Problem solved! Seriously, if people used even 10% of the energy they use to complain to actually get shit done, we'd live in a utopia.

Obviously, I do catch the irony of complaining about complaining, but it boils my balls seeing people bitch about things that are the same in games they praise! Just wait 10 years and you guys will be praising Pillars. I bet ANY MONEY on it.

I enjoyed PoE at first. I liked the writing and the text adventures, but I ended up quitting for another game around the end of the first chapter. I didn't like the character development much and the combat grew a bit tedious. The fights always seemed to devolve into a pulsing foot-circle blob. As such, I couldn't even use so many of my abilities….so many AoEs. Couldn't even use them due to friendly fire. (My play was early on, and I have seen in patch notes they changed many of the AoEs to "foe only," but that really just strikes me as a half-assed "fix" that doesn't really address the systemic problem.)

I thought I would like this more, as a fairly big Obsidian fan. And my love of the Baldur's Gate style apparently hasn't changed. Not long before, I had played the enhanced edition of the first Baldur's Gate and enjoyed the hell out of it. Still near the top of my RPG list. It seems to me the character-development system and combat mechanics in PoE were lacking.

It seems D&D trumps Josh Sawyer.

I don't think that should be very surprising, considering D&D's long history. And maybe PoE is more refined now, too, after so many patches. I'll give it another go after this expansion is patched together in full and shows up on sale.

It's certainly a curious decision to split the release of the content of the expansion, but I definitely remain positive about it, as I'm looking forward to replaying the game on a harder difficulty, with a different class/party etc. It should be a fresh experience if I wait longer, for sure.

The higher level cap should hopefully invigorate exploration after Act II, which is when my interest originally diminished somewhat after hitting the cap very early into Act III, causing me to semi-rush towards the conclusion.

Obviously, I do catch the irony of complaining about complaining, but it boils my balls seeing people bitch about things that are the same in games they praise!

On the contrary, there's not nearly enough complaining about complaining. Who do I write to and complain about it?

Sooner than expected. I might use it to play the campaign with AI scripts and individual stealth, but I can't say it's first on my list.

I'm hoping Sword Coast Legends is better than it looks, and if so - I'm more likely to spend my september fooling around with that one.

Back
Top Bottom