Dark Souls III - 16 Minutes of Gameplay @ GC 2015

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN filmed 16 minutes of Dark Souls III gameplay at the Gamescom 2015. The video has a poor quality and no game sound but it's interesting:

More information.

Seems good: Looks like a mixture between the Boletarian Palace from Demon's Souls and maybe the Undead Burg from the first game, replete with early dragon and dragon fire. Combat seems faster than I'd prefer from a strategic point of view (arguably encouraging more button mashing) but I'll make the necessary adjustments easily enough.

Can't say I was too impressed with the player/tester though; very rarely used the shield properly. :D Mind you, I completed the first game again recently with a dexterity thief build who rarely used one as well, relying more on speed and movement to outflank opponents. Keyboard and mouse all the way incidentally. :p (to the unfortunate throw-away one liner...)

Nice WTF moment visually at 11:53. That change looked intense. Quietly looking forward to this one!

Last edited:
Seems good: Looks like a mixture between the Boletarian Palace from Demon's Souls and maybe the Undead Burg from the first game, replete with early dragon and dragon fire. Combat seems faster than I'd prefer from a strategic point of view, but I'll make the necessary adjustments easily enough.

Can't say I was too impressed with the player/tester though; very rarely used the shield properly. :D Mind you, I completed the first game again recently with a dexterity thief build who rarely used one as well, relying more on speed and movement to outflank opponents.

Nice WTF moment visually at 11:53. That change looked intense. Quietly looking forward to this one!

Double this statement. He also wandered into combat without his stamina being recharged, the dolt.

That, and the timing of his sweeps were completely off, he could have rolled under most attackers, instead he rolled into them, misanticipating their strikes.

Also, not to kill the hype, but this game still looks worse than Alice, which is last gen, and has worse animations than some Source Engine Games, Dark Messiah especially.

I think it is sad, and something someone should tell the developers, as their animations are not as smooth as even Tekken, and their draw distance, and cooler reflections, are the only improvement I see to their graphics over Dark Souls 1. This is easily last-gen, in my opinion.

EDIT: I will probably love the game and play it, however!

level design seems ace... seemingly a lot less linear than DS2.

Either the camera or the controls/animations seem way off here...the way it spins around at 2.26, makes the basic movement, especially backwards, seem unnatural? Strange that From doesn't receive any criticism for little innovation, like some developers do.

Either the camera or the controls/animations seem way off here…the way it spins around at 2.26, makes the basic movement, especially backwards, seem unnatural? Strange that From doesn't receive any criticism for little innovation, like some developers do.

They get their fair share of criticism on other boards just as all dev's do.

The combat looks fine it's typical souls combat which you already said you don't like so it's no surprise you still don't like it.

As for innovation, I'd rather see them just do more of the same. Sometimes innovation doesn't equal improvement. There are plenty of other games to play if I want something different. Of course I could have played another 15 games based on the infinity engine so what do I know.:)

I actually very much like DS, even though I think a lot of it's flaws are being overlooked, it has very solid fighting mechanics in place... but I expected a bit more improvement, especially when it comes to animations and physics.
I guess we'll have to wait and see...nice fight with the fat guy though. :p

The movement appears to be back in line with Demons/Darksouls1, which I can only describe as more "loose" feeling. This might explain why the animations appear worse in the video, but you might actually find that in game they work better because they're responding to your input so it feels correct. Of course, many will prefer Dks2 with its motion captured animations but "slower" feeling movement with turning speed and stuff Miyazaki doesn't like.

I really wonder how Poise will be handled this time around, but I suspect it will go back to how it was in dks1.

The corpse ragdolls are back in to get stuck to your feet because everyone thought that was funny.

Parry/riposte/backstab are all back to how they worked in dks1.

In an earlier interview Miyazaki hadn't even heard of the Soul Memory system, so I expect level 1 Darkwraiths are back.

Dark Souls 2 used entirely new enemies, but we can see all of the monsters in the dks3 video appear to be redone versions of the dks1 monsters with no apparent homage to the monsters in 2.

Back
Top Bottom