KotOR - Rumor - HD Remake Coming?

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Straight from the rumor mill: A Knights of the Old Republic HD remake is in the works!?Cinelinx writes they've been sitting on the story for quite a while but have decided to post it now because suddenly 3 independent sources confirmed it.

But I keep hearing this bit of info and where there's smoke, there's typically fire of some kind...Though even these plans can change. I've heard from multiple sources that Knights of the Old Republic is getting an update for the current generation consoles...and I'm not talking about a resolution remaster; an actual upgrade to the game to make it enjoyable for both new and returning gamers. Better yet, I'm hearing it'll be coming sooner than you think: [...]
Interesting. KotOR is no longer canon, but it was a huge hit. Let's hope it's true.

More information.

Interesting. I recently tried to play this on my PC (Windows 7 64x) and can't run it unless I disable movies, which kind of makes the story hard to follow ;) Thankfully KOTOR 2 (with restormation mod) does work and I have been enjoying it so far. I guess I'll wait for the remake for KOTOR 1.

Interesting news indeed. I liked KotOR so I would very much welcome a HD remake although I fear it will be Origin exclusive or some crap like that. (I was told here that EA holds all the Star Wars rights)

I am also still waiting for the KotOR II update to be released on GoG.

Last edited:
Just as the smartphones version, it's yet another cashgrab.
Will I buy it…
Yes, if they pack it up with brand new Kotor3 game that has no multiplayer idiocy inside it. Otherwise, not a chance.

gog version works better. I think there is a fix for the movies in the steam version. I actually have the original dvd and it seems to run ok. Real problem is wide-screen hack is only so so.

Interesting. I recently tried to play this on my PC (Windows 7 64x) and can't run it unless I disable movies, which kind of makes the story hard to follow ;) Thankfully KOTOR 2 (with restormation mod) does work and I have been enjoying it so far. I guess I'll wait for the remake for KOTOR 1.

I never played a KotOR game. Neither of them. But I would buy this KotOR remastered.

I don't see an issue with the current KotOR and KotOR II ... so HD remake is (IMO) yet another simple cash-in to milk the current pro-Star Wars environment.

Which means that OF COURSE I will buy it ... but that won't stop me from complaining :)

I don't see an issue with the current KotOR and KotOR II … so HD remake is (IMO) yet another simple cash-in to milk the current pro-Star Wars environment.

Which means that OF COURSE I will buy it … but that won't stop me from complaining :)

I don't think there's a lot of scenarios where remakes aren't cash-grabs at heart, but I don't agree these games couldn't benefit a LOT from having proper modern versions.

The combat system and NPC controls are crap, for instance - and the assets are getting very long in the tooth.

I doubt they'd go the distance and re-record the dialogue, but the speech is from the era before voice actors came into their own, and way too much of it is delivered with bland effort.

Given how cinematic these games were meant to be, it would be highly appropriate to get them up to snuff.

A positive side effect could be a revitalising of the franchise, with modern gamers demanding a true sequel instead of the (mostly) dreck that is the MMO.

It's probably something similar to what they did for KoTOR2: widescreen and hardware support with a few controls fixes.

I played both and enjoyed them, but it's been a few years. Just enough time to make me want to revisit them. Bring it.

I had no problems with Steam KOTOR like 8-9 months ago on Win7. Now doing all Dragon Age trilogy but after that I will move to KOTOR 2 to see it in new "clothes". I think its good that old games are not forgotten. Still hope my beloved Archimedean Dynasty will be brought to life

The timing of this is obvious. I've been thinking of giving KotOR another go though since the Star Wars itch has been growing on me again lately. I guess I'll wait to see what the deal is with this remake.

If it's good enough, maybe it'll even change my opinion that KotOR is a vastly overrated game. :)

This could be good. I only tried out KotOR a couple years ago, and just found it really dated. Was intrigued by the setting/story, but the mechanics seemed more antiquated than Morrowind. I'd definitely check out a revised version, as I didn't even play through very far.

Great News if it's a free upgrade for current owners. It's also good to be able to bring great gaming experiences to newer generations.

Interesting. KotOR is no longer canon, but it was a huge hit. Let's hope it's true.
I remember something about this, was it eaware who decided KotOR and KotOR II were not cannon? I just remember thinking how moronic it was to say the original stories were not cannon.

I remember something about this, was it eaware who decided KotOR and KotOR II were not cannon? I just remember thinking how moronic it was to say the original stories were not cannon.

I'd be all for more canon free fodder just like those. When can we get some? :)

Kotor1 remade would be cool. I do wonder what graphic style they will use through. A sort of cartoon like Clone Wars or will they go the photo-realistic style? Either would be cool but I think a Clone Wars style would be more in keeping with the original games in some respects. Photo-realistic on the other hand would make things more immersive and star-warsy like the movies.

You've got to wonder if they would also add some dlc to the experience? Would be cool following the protagonists journey post-game.

Let's wait and see how much of an upgrade BioWare is working on. I don't think a texture upgrade is necessary. But an overhaul of some mechanics and technical things could help. If it's only Grim Fandango HD, it's not worth the money.

Great News if it's a free upgrade for current owners.
Don't expect too much. ;)

Disney

Back
Top Bottom