Geneforge - A Fluent Giveaway

D

Deleted User

Hey folks!
smiley-laughing.gif

I am giving away a free copy of the Geneforge Saga on Steam. It's a Steam Gift, so feel free to use it yourself or pass it along to a friend! All you have to do to enter is post in the sign-up thread on my Steam Group. That's it! The contest will run for 7 days and a winner will be picked next Monday.

Good luck to all who enter!

More information.

tbh I don't think that rpgwatch should be misused as a cheap way of advertisement.

I mean yeah, if there is a significant or noteworthy giveaway from a third party, then fine.
If RPG watch is one of the partys profiting from it, also fine.

But for a third party and a value of (if in sale) 10$...meh...

tbh I don't think that rpgwatch should be misused as a cheap way of advertisement.

I mean yeah, if there is a significant or noteworthy giveaway from a third party, then fine.

But for a third party and a value of (if in sale) 10$…meh…

I am not a fan of advertisement or self-promotion ... but I disagree with you here.

If someone is giving away a RPG that is of significance and interest to our community, and opens a single thread to talk about it ... why not? If it means that we get another person interested in playing RPGs ... more the better!

Yeah, and if it was a "single thread" I'd be fine with it. But not one News-Entry per week.

Yeah, and if it was a "single thread" I'd be fine with it. But not one News-Entry per week.

One post ... per WEEK? Wow ... you have a pretty low threshold. I assume you are also annoyed about more than one third-party review post per week on the same game?

No, I am just having a mindset of "if everyone did that".

Giving out one game per week and generate a news post for that is an extremely cheap way of advertisement.
And if that's above RPGWatch's threshshold, and further individuals/companies realize that, we are going to see 90% advertisement posts in the news in the future.

Remeber that RPGWatch's influence, especially regarding small indie games isn't insignificant.

Well, to those who want to enter, you know what to do. After all, I am giving away an RPG. That's not a bad thing, right? I plan on giving many games away in the future and they will all be posted as news posts here on RPGWatch, so it is what it is. Also, I plan on doing some RPGWatch exclusive giveaways in the future as well, since RPGWatch is also my home base. More RPGs for everyone! :)

No, I am just having a mindset of "if everyone did that".

And if that's above RPGWatch's threshshold, and further individuals/companies realize that, we are going to see 90% advertisement posts in the news in the future.

First of all, "further individuals/companies" can't post news because they aren't team members. I've been a team member and contributor here at RPGWatch for a year or three.

Even if this would happen, these "further individuals/companies" would offer game giveaways for free? Yeah, that would be terrible.

:)

Well, still got a key for a Lords of Xulima Medallion of Golot DLC (worth 1,79€)

So could I get a news post if I gave it away for comments in my youtube channel?
And why not? :p

But for a third party and a value of (if in sale) 10$…meh…

This is to help the indies, the only ones, who create the really unique, creative games nowadays.

I've given away several free keys, just by posting a normal thread. I agree it shouldn't be a news post, just a forum thread, probably in General so the most folks see it. Otherwise, I could just submit news that said, "CRPGnut gives away free key with no hoops at all to jump through!" This would have to wait until someone had time to read the submitted news and post it. I really don't need to see my Username in the newsbits though…..

I don't really mind the Fluent posts though.

Since Kordanor doesn't deem my single Steam key worthy of a giveaway, I have upped the ante on his behalf! I will now be offering 3 Steam Gifts of the Geneforge Saga! So, to those who have entered or will be entering, you now have an even better shot at getting the game. :)

Thanks for the inspiration, Kordanor!

This is to help the indies, the only ones, who create the really unique, creative games nowadays.

Seriously? I mean, I support Fluent and his efforts - but if this was the case the focus wouldn't be on getting more subscriptions to his channels. This is him using the indies to help grow his sites, and in turn also helping them gain exposure.

Nothing wrong with that - it is the basis of all giveaways. But Kordanor has a valid point ... for me I would rather see this than some of the other posts that have raised concerns in the past.

And speaking personally, I have never thought it good form to utilize a position at one place to further the efforts of another. For example, even when I had a separate running blog I did reviews and articles for the main blog I worked for - and never pushed my own. Instead I did the opposite - I would use my personal blog to push the main blog and give secondary attention to THAT site rather than my own.

But that is me. How this sort of thing operates is up to the RPGWatch admins, and they hve already spoken on it.

Yeah. It was my mistake to make this post myself, which people can view as simply using RPGWatch to promote my own stuff, but those same people don't realize I cross-pollinate RPG with new members as well, because I tell people after every video I make to check out the links in the video description, which include links to RPGWatch.

But anywho, it was my mistake to promote this myself. I thought the last 2 giveaways went well enough and that the coast was clear, but that was foolish and wishful thinking on my part.

I will not post my own giveaways in the future as news posts. No need to go any further than that.

No biggie, Fluent. I think it's cool that you're giving away stuff. I don't think it hurt anything and your heart is in the right place.

I see no harm in what Fluent is doing, it takes all of less then a second to scan through headlines and decide whether to click on a thread or not. If he's making a profit from this, or maybe offering non-rpg games then I could possibly see a problem but he's not, so I'm not sure what the beef is. I personally am not looking for free games from this site, but if others get free games from here that perhaps gives this site and the game developers more exposure then more power to them.

I see no harm either… but when it happens multiple times every week, either through him or by proxy through another staff member, and the ultimate goal of it is pure self-promotion and the members are asked to jump through hoops to have a chance to win… well that's kind of pushing it. I also hope that it doesn't create any monetary problems for him if he already was in a very precarious financial position, and that he doesn't do it so he can ultimately live from his work on his social media page and Youtube account because there is not even remotely a way to live off these endeavors from Internet revenue, especially when it comes to such a niche topic. Unless he is ready to start playing Goat Simulator or other indie games made purely for cheap shock value and scream in his microphone PewPewDie style.

Also I doubt it is really selfless and to help the indies to promote games that were made years and years ago so I'm not sure what he actually is pursuing here but it's a bit tacky sadly.

He isn't going to change and believes everything he does is great and anything he post is right.

If you don't like a game he likes you just aren't understanding it right.
If you don't give him money you are just a asshole.

I just wish I could put him on ignore like he did me.

As long as the admins are letting him use this site as his personal begging platform maybe I should by a bunch of keys for a dime and give them away. Wait only if you....

Back
Top Bottom