RPGWatch - Windows 10 is not compatible with SafeDisc and SecuRom games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rock, Paper, Shotgun and other sources are reporting that Windows 10 cannot run games with DRM methods like SafeDisc and SecuRom:

This is a quote from a Rocket Beans TV interview at Gamescom 2015 with Microsoft’s Boris Schneider-Johne:
Everything that ran in Windows 7 should also run in Windows 10. There are just two silly exceptions: antivirus software and stuff that’s deeply embedded into the system needs updating – but the developers are on it already – and then there are old games on CD-Rom that have DRM. This DRM stuff is also deeply embedded in your system, and that’s where Windows 10 says “sorry, we cannot allow that, because that would be a possible loophole for computer viruses.” That’s why there are a couple of games from 2003-2008 with Securom, etc. that simply don’t run without a no-CD patch or some such. We can just not support that if it’s a possible danger for our users. There are a couple of patches from developers already, and there is stuff like GOG where you’ll find versions of those games that work.
More information.

If you understand German: There's a lot of additional info about Windows 10 in the Boris Schneider-Johne video interview.

Valve's Linux based SteamOS appearing was a sign that Gaben saw a realistic opening in the monopolized operating system market.

He knew what was coming and expected a big backlash.

The thing is; he's a smart guy. He'd personally be extremely displeased with certain questionable features of win10 so he assumes everyone will be.

But they won't.

The thing is; he's a smart guy.

It's a bit overblown, but for what's worth, these headlines are superb advertisment fuss for win10.
Not all SecuROM and SafeDisc versions are instantly banned. For those that won't run on win10, anyone can buy a cheap backup on GOG or google for no-cd patch.

I've had a few issues with Win10 - but, so far, all of the ~50 games I've tested have worked just fine.

Preparing the popcorn for the fury that will be unleashed over the EA's games (well known for using those protections) :)

It might be a good idea to have a thread (in the RPG Forum?) where we report on games that work in Win10. I'm playing through Might and Magic 8 at the moment and I don't want to upgrade and discover it's not going to run.

I haven't done much tweaking. I generally don't care about being spied upon.

"I have nothing to hide" is a terrible attitude. You have nothing to be found so all that can be achieved here is you forfeiting your rights for no reason.

Are you familiar with throwing a frog into boiling water?

"I have nothing to hide" is a terrible attitude. You have nothing to be found so all that can be achieved here is you forfeiting your rights for no reason.

Are you familiar with throwing a frog into boiling water?

I didn't say I had nothing to hide, I said I don't care.

I also have no reason to suspect my rights are being violated in a way that I care about.

I prefer to live life without irrational paranoia, as it's much more comfortable.

If you want to fuel the fire by being an idiot, that's on you :)

Coming from the guy who moments ago told me about the dumb masses being manipulated and exploited by opportunists?

Coming from the guy who moments ago told me about the dumb masses being manipulated and exploited by opportunists?

I didn't say dumb, I said uninformed. Like with you and your position on SCL.

Again, I'm not paranoid.

I don't have a reason to believe MS are trying to harm me in any way - or that this feature is in place to "spy" on my activities as part of some elaborate scheme.

Frankly, I'm finding it hard to correlate intelligence with such suspicion.

It's not paranoia though.

You're trying to tell me you're uninformed?

MS said:
“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features,” Microsoft writes about this unexpected Windows 10 key-logging feature.

IF you open a file! IF! Not When. This is some double talk plausible deniability crap if ever I've seen it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

I'm talking about motivation. I'm not disputing that they're gathering information.

I'll disable it if I detect performance degradation, as that's pretty much all I care about.

Also, I really have no interest in this discussion. If you find it useful to be paranoid and speculate endlessly, may you continue to do so.

Have fun :)

Nothing wrong with asking questions. It's poor answers that worry me. Someone once said there are no big conspiracies. It's much more worrying than that because most people don't have a clue what they are doing.

Valve's Linux based SteamOS appearing was a sign that Gaben saw a realistic opening in the monopolized operating system market.
There is no SteamOS. Adding packages that anyone can add on a Debian version does not make a Steam OS.

The only opening (as if a crushing method requires any opening) Steam banked on is the expectation that the Steam monopoly on the PC product distribution was enough to overrride Microsoft's monopoly on OS sales.

It might be a good idea to have a thread (in the RPG Forum?) where we report on games that work in Win10. I'm playing through Might and Magic 8 at the moment and I don't want to upgrade and discover it's not going to run.

Everything will run. If something doesn't work, google for the solution.

Not related. IMHO Gabe's move was in response to window 8 which was universally panned. Windows 10 is actually pretty decent for both desktop/tablets.

The DRM stuff is tangent to Gabe's move.

Take the above with a grain of salt (i.e, my opinion of Gabe's push on stream-os (btw is is more than just windows 8 - it was also MS policies and how they impacted valve). Also be aware that while I use windows for games I've been a freebsd/linux/solaris user for non-gaming for 25+ years.

He knew what was coming and expected a big backlash.

The thing is; he's a smart guy. He'd personally be extremely displeased with certain questionable features of win10 so he assumes everyone will be.

But they won't.

The thing is; he's a smart guy.

Back
Top Bottom