Divinity: Original Sin II - Previews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are a few previews of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Game Revolution

The rest of the demo looked familiar to the first game in the series, and for good reason. Larian crafted a fantastic combat system, and the company doesn't want to change it too much. There are some important tweaks in that area, though, namely the redistribution of action points. Characters have fewer action points in Original Sin 2, but skills typically only cost one point. This allows players to move around and experiment on a more consistent basis, which is when Divinity truly shines. The sequel also introduces skill crafting, which can result in some unusual but powerful abilities.
The Escapist

With this much complexity and depth to a game, one has to wonder how the game will stay together at all. If there is no GM to bring the party back together, wouldn't the game deteriorate into chaos? Swen assured me that Larian invested heavily in the writing team, folks with both screenwriting and tabletop experience, to act as a virtual GM of sorts. There will be missions that naturally bring the party back together as well as difficult consequences when things go too awry. A game of such complexity is ambitious for sure, and, if successful, could really make waves in the RPG genre.
Polygon

Despite launching a second Kickstarter campaign, Vincke is aware that Larian Studios is in a much different place than it was with the first Divinity: Original Sin. For example, despite turning to crowdfunding, the studio already has the money they need to make this sequel.

"The game is funded because of the original's success," Vincke says. "We can already do a lot of things. But we'd like to expand from here. We'd like to create more origin stories. Each origin story means basically hiring an extra writer because of how far they go in affecting the game. We also want to expand the skills and spell systems. An extra race would be cool."

In other words, this will be a crowdfunding game based almost entirely around raising money for stretch goals. The sequel is happening. The pre-alpha build is already running. The game will come out, regardless of whether it reaches its Kickstarter goal. But Larian Studios wants the opportunity to make it bigger and even more ambitious, which is something that the extra funding can make room for.
A video interview/preview on Gamespot.

More information.

well, its not really about getting money.
you have to understand that croudfunding actually gives more value to the users.
people see it the wrong way.
i think ive said this before, but in an ideal future, games will only be created through crowdfunding and other publicity stuff scattered through the game. when it comes out its free for all.
of course they are not losing money with croudfunding, but there is more energy spent

Larian has really taken to using the wisdom of the crowd. It worked for them in D:OS and it looks promising for the sequel too.

In the end, I definitely prefer a developer confident enough to stick to whatever vision, and only use the "crowd" for inspiration and never as a guide.

Thankfully, I tend to agree with Larian about their choices - even if I'm not a fan of their humor or slightly cartoon style.

In the end, I definitely prefer a developer confident enough to stick to whatever vision, and only use the "crowd" for inspiration and never as a guide.

Thankfully, I tend to agree with Larian about their choices - even if I'm not a fan of their humor or slightly cartoon style.

Yeah Larian has already demonstrated sticking to there vision by ruling out day and night cycles for now. Given the inherent complexity involved I can't say I'm surprised if a little disappointed. Still I think that decision will be better for the project as a whole.

I think they could probably implement a day/night cycle that would be mostly about atmosphere and immersion, but it seems they want it to be a bigger deal - so I'm glad they're not doing it in a way that contradicts their vision.

Day/night is pointless if there's no story reason to have it. I'm not against having it, but in the end, who cares? You just end up waiting/resting for vendors/NPCs to show up.

I wonder who is going to have to lose their voice doing the VO work for the Undead race?

Day/night and weather effects are strongly immersive for me. I don't care having some kind of cycle though, waiting to turn in a quest is just plain boring. In fact, it can just be tied to a region or map, fading in and out as necessary.

Day/night is pointless if there's no story reason to have it. I'm not against having it, but in the end, who cares? You just end up waiting/resting for vendors/NPCs to show up.

Unbelievable!
I actually agree with Ovenall on something. :D

Well, I guess that would be adding an element or reality to the game wouldn't it.

I mean most places I have traveled to, people don't ever sleep, all stores are open etc….

Last edited:
Day/night cycles, to me, are mostly about immersion. If you don't appreciate immersion, then I can see why they might seem pointless. If you play Witcher 3 like you play GTA, it follows that you're not really about immersing yourself.

Off the top of my head, I probably liked the Gothic implementation the best - because people actually went to sleep - but as I recall, you could simply wake them up and conduct your business anyway. So, it wasn't a problem for gameplay.

I despised how The Witcher handled it, because not only were you actively cut off from vital NPCs during certain hours - you couldn't just rest, you had to meditate in specific places - and it wasn't uncommon to be sent back and forth multiple times - with the relevant NPC being cut off once again. WITHOUT fast travel.

Atrocious implementation.

For D:OS 2 - it wouldn't take much to implement a simple day/night cycle, but I think they really want to have it affect gameplay in a big way, much like their other features - so I can appreciate them not doing a simpler version.

Right, day/night cycles are one of the features increasing immersion. Of course simply changing lighting isn't enough. Different daytimes must be reflected in the presentation of game world as well: different sounds, different NPC behaviour etc.

If it's done right I really like it and don't mind if I have to wait/rest for the right time.

Missing day/night cycles where one of the reasons I couldn't immerse in D:OS.

Day/night and weather effects are strongly immersive for me. I don't care having some kind of cycle though, waiting to turn in a quest is just plain boring.

It's fine if you can "rest" until morning yourself, fastforwarding time so you don't have to wait.

Day/night cycles, to me, are mostly about immersion. If you don't appreciate immersion, then I can see why they might seem pointless. If you play Witcher 3 like you play GTA, it follows that you're not really about immersing yourself.

Off the top of my head, I probably liked the Gothic implementation the best - because people actually went to sleep - but as I recall, you could simply wake them up and conduct your business anyway. So, it wasn't a problem for gameplay.

Agreed. I liked how Gothic handled it as well; that game did a lot of things right. Atmosphere was top notch, probably one of the most immersive games around.

I despised how The Witcher handled it, because not only were you actively cut off from vital NPCs during certain hours - you couldn't just rest, you had to meditate in specific places - and it wasn't uncommon to be sent back and forth multiple times - with the relevant NPC being cut off once again. WITHOUT fast travel.

Are you talking about the first game then? I seem to remember being able to medidate anywhere in the second one.

Right, day/night cycles are one of the features increasing immersion. Of course simply changing lighting isn't enough. Different daytimes must be reflected in the presentation of game world as well: different sounds, different NPC behaviour etc.

If it's done right I really like it and don't mind if I have to wait/rest for the right time.

Missing day/night cycles where one of the reasons I couldn't immerse in D:OS.

I'm with you there. It would have gone a long way to make a believable, living, breathing world.

To me day/night cycles can be there as long as they don't make me wait or search all over town to find the NPC I need. It falls into the 'suspension of disbelief', basically what I see in the screen is not what the characters do (just like I know they eat, drink water and pee but I don't see it happening). When I talk to an NPC I go there, but in my mind that involves the characters asking around, following directions from guards or villagers, etc. I don't need or even want to have a night cycle that forces me to wait around until the morning comes so I can enter a store.

Back
Top Bottom