RPGWatch Feature - Krai Mira Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Coucpotato interviewed the developer of Krai Mira, formerly known as Crimea and forwarded it to us. It is not an original article as it has been published before by Couch, but if you haven't read it before, it is new now.

Couchpotato: Your website says the game is inspired by Fallout so what are the similarities, and what's different?

Rostyslav: Krai Mira may resemble Fallout, as any post-apocalyptic game does. We don't try to make a clone but do want to retain the feeling and atmosphere of an adventure in a post-nuclear world.

There were some things that always looked odd in Fallout... Predator plants and alien creatures, plenty of characters but just few armour sets. There could be some variety in random desert locations. There could be traps and mines. And of course the engine. A modern 3D engine where you can set resolution and quality, control the view rotating and zooming the camera, see real weapon and armor on characters, enjoy effects and particles - explosions, fire smoke, enemy's bodies falling according to the laws of physics. All this is realized in Krai Mira.
Also our game borrows some features from such games as Diablo and Commandos. Field of view and alarms improves the realism of battles, and you also have an option to switch between pseudo-realtime (a mode where all non-player creatures take their turns simultaneously) and traditional turn-based combat.

As for the RPG/stat system - from the start I decided to be realistic and to not overload the game with tons of perks and skills. Yes, it would be great to have such an amount of ways to develop your character as Wasteland 2 offers, but I understand that Krai Mira is an indie game and it would be very difficult to maintain a balanced gameplay with a complex RPG system.

As a desision I took the SHAPE system, which was a simplified mix of GURPS and SPECIAL.
More information.

Thanks Couch, for sending this to us.

Looks interesting but I hope this is not another one of those Eastern European/Russian Fallout knock offs that always seem to turn out so badly. There was one that took place on a prison planet, can't remember the name, and it was just awful.

Looks interesting but I hope this is not another one of those Eastern European/Russian Fallout knock offs that always seem to turn out so badly. There was one that took place on a prison planet, can't remember the name, and it was just awful.
I remember playing that abomination it was called Planet Alcatraz.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/289420

I recall playing two more Fallout Inspired flops also.

MetalHeart: Replicants Rampage
The Fall: Last Days of Gaia

Thanks Couch, good interview. The game sounds interesting and the dev seems decent - really like his answers. I'll keep an eye on this.

Hold on, wasn't this touted as the be all and end all of "Wasteland" games after a steller demo release...

I distinctly remember certain peeps raving about how the demo would put Brian Fargo's product firmly in its place. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom