Banner Saga 2 - Improved Combat System @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Steven Messner (PC Gamer) takes a look at the combat of The Banner Saga 2:

The Banner Saga 2 continues the story and gives combat some depth

[...] The first game, while gorgeous and memorable, was spoiled somewhat by a rather shallow combat system that often felt repetitive. The team at Stoic seem keen to show that they have been listening to player feedback because each of the fights I encountered during my time with the demo introduced more and more new features into the combat.

The biggest addition is several new enemy types. While I was only shown a few, with the promise of more appearing in the final game, each of them had a significant impact on the turn-based combat. In one battle, dog-like Skulkers swept in from my flanks, howling before turning invisible to prepare for painful surprise attacks. During that fight, more and more monsters continued to arrive to battle until the odds were hopelessly out of my favor. That's when The Banner Saga 2 sprung one of its new surprises: altered victory conditions.

Battles in the first game were primarily a "kill everything in sight" affair, but The Banner Saga 2 aims to cultivate tension and develop the story during combat. When a new type of Dredge shambled out onto the field, the terms for winning shifted to killing that new target to cause the others to flee. As more and more Dredge continued to flood the screen, my desperate bid to slay the leader before being overwhelmed became a lip-biting gambit.

Additional enemies aren't only one way Stoic is looking to improve battles. Destructible objects have been added, which adds a new layer to maneuvering your heroes and funneling enemies. There is also a much greater level of narrative scripting taking place, blurring the lines that separated the first game's story and combat. These moments are often influenced by choices you made before the fight, and watching them play out—often helpless to prevent them—was always painful. During the against-all-odds fight with the Dredge, a choice I had made earlier in an attempt to give me an edge resulted in the death of a named character. Despite the fact that I had only been playing for half an hour, I felt gutted.

The Banner Saga 2, like the first, is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played, and its adherence to an aging animated aesthetic gives its world a sense of timelessness. It's apparent that Stoic isn't merely content to continue the epic story but is also working hard to address the issues that marred the first game. While the story undoubtedly carried the original, The Banner Saga 2's improved combat already seems to be giving it a run for its money.
More information.

I'd love to see more games, including this one,
where you can actually lose all fights, and still progress through "A" story just as big as the one you do by winning all (default mode)

it's kinda disgusting to force you to win at everything. come on.. no fun.
its like forcing your child to study for all subjects and make him redo every homework till he gets straight As

You could lose all missions in Wing Commander 3 and then the last mission was a desperate last stand with no chance of success. If memory serves that is...

well the point would be, that combat doesn't define the happy or sad ending, but your choices

currently the story is built on top of winning all your fights.

i want a happy ending with me losing all fights. HAPPIEST PLEASE! we losers need it the most ffs

@borcanu
I wouldn't mind living in that sort of world for a little while ~ all my failures counting for nought etc. But it would be sort of a hollow existence with no consequences.

Plus I would be annoyed by my favourite sporting teams celebrating every loss!

i was talking about rpgs though.
but it is applicable to sports as well, just not pro sports. it would make no sense in pro sports. cause you couldn't follow each athelete throughout his life.
(cause the positive outcome would just be slightly related to his failure, but not in the same category)

Back
Top Bottom